Author Topic: My old MGX  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

  • Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3803
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
  • Location: Mountain, Missouri
My old MGX
« on: January 26, 2021, 06:59:36 PM »
The new owner called me today. Turns out the bike dropped an oil pump after they bought it and it spent months in the shop, again. They get it back and ride it for very little, and boom, it's back in the shop again with the same problem (timing chain tensioner break) as I initially had. Long story short, altogether there's going to be over $6000 invested in repairs that just don't hold. If I'd have kept it, this would be almost 24 months in the shop, 8 hours round trip each time. I think I would have went postal by now. I feel bad for them, but if Guzzi would have just ponied up a new motor 2 years ago, this could have all been avoided. If my old dealer would have filed the claim like he was supposed to, the end user wouldn't have to spend any money. Shame on Piaggio. Shame. Sell a 22K bike and totally forget about the customer. I'd say something else here, but libel laws could get me in trouble.

So, the reason I write this...Does anyone have any clue what would cause a bike to keep busting timing chain tensioners? I'd like to pass on any information to him if I can.
Owner, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1996)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Past Guzzi's: 72 Eldo, 73 Eldo, 98 EV, 2000 Quota, 76 T3, 84 V65C, 98 Centauro,  09 Stelvio, 12 Stelvio, 17 MGX21

Offline lucian

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3333
  • Location: Maine, Ayuh
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »
The 1400 motors use hydraulic plungers and blades to tension twin cam chains diven off a service shaft. ( twin cams are overhead) Service shaft and oil pumps are gear driven inside the front timing chest. I suppose if the oil lubrication  pump  was failing , low oil pressure would have a negative impact on the tensioner plungers in turn leading to a chain failure. A hell of a racket plus s an oil warning light would appear you would think. Without tearing it down it's only a guess.  Sorry to hear this for the NO.

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16852
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
The oil pump on the bike was reported here on WG.  I understand the owner kept riding with the oil light on and topped it up with more oil but don't know any of that directly.  It was just mentioned to me.

I'm glad that I didn't purchase a 1400 after your story.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:36:37 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline lucian

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3333
  • Location: Maine, Ayuh
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:43:16 PM »
A shame. Oil lights need to be taken serious , especially on engines with plastic pump gears. :shocked:

Offline Tom H

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3804
  • Location: So. Cal.
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 09:59:02 PM »
That poor bike had bad Ju Ju. Must have been built on Friday the 13th at 4:55pm.

Sorry for your luck with it and the new owner.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
1973 R75/5 LWB
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20004
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
That poor bike had bad Ju Ju. Must have been built on Friday the 13th at 4:55pm.

Sorry for your luck with it and the new owner.

Tom

Yes, in the end, that poor MGX was just one big "LEMON" with no lemonade!!  You did the right thing getting rid of it... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  The new owner should just trade it in....cut his losses and just more forward.  "Life is WAY too short to ride an unreliable motorcycle!!"





« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:10:44 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
What a NIGHTMARE! How's that Indian running Luap?
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline BillinPA

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 968
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
Glad you didn't have to live through episode 2!!!!

Offline TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1268
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
Luap,

     Did the current owner know the history you had with it prior to buying it? Did the shop they bought it from give the current owner your contact information?

In the end, what a shame this has happened. First to you and again to the current owner. Perhaps this is one that will finally be parted out. Minus certain parts of the engine of course. Though that would be another major issue for the current owner.

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16852
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 05:18:54 PM »
TN,  For your question, the owner (or perhaps the Indian dealer) did inquire whether the bike was still subject to warranty.  Again, so I was told.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline inditx

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1608
  • Location: KC Area
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
Wow just wow.....
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3612
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 12:10:10 AM »
In the immortal words of Dickie Roberts...... "That's Nukin Futs"

I know a guy who just had the right head warrantied for bad valve guides and other timing chain issues, another with a roached motor and another with a bad clutch, but I think the Clutch was operator error. Several other issues as well, but it seems the MGX is atypical compared to other 1400's. Still a small number over all, but I havent heard of any of these issues with Eldorado, Audace, or California models.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:17:29 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 04:09:43 AM »
It’s been a hard luck poor thing, that MGX.

Offline Travlr

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1163
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 07:50:21 AM »
Would you buy another new Guzzi?

Mike
1984 LeMans 3 Cafe Racer
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4844
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »
That bike certainly has a dark cloud following it where ever it goes!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Moparnut72

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3366
  • Location: Quincy California
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:06 AM »
My Audace dropped a valve at 550 miles. I bought it after a new engine had been installed. It has been fine ever since except for low rpm fueling. I just got the cables and will install a new tune after more research.   :thumb:
kk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:15:58 PM by Moparnut72 »
Mopar or Nocar
Current Bike:
2026 V7 850 Special
1976 T3 disaster

Taking new riders for a spin:
2023 V100 Navale
2019 V7lll Special
2016 Audace
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Sasquatch Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 9600
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 12:08:10 PM »
 That's why I stopped buying Guzzis 18 years ago.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6313
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »
Not trying to add pain but since we are pointing out issues with the 1400 series, my 2015 tourer disposed of 2 TPS sensors in 7k miles. Fortunately I had a brother from another mother,  here,  that helped me greatly getting it back on the road both times.  After those headaches I just couldn’t trust it anymore.  Darn shame as that bike was the smoothest mile muncher I’ve ever owned, including Harley, goldwings, BMW and Kawasaki touring bikes. I realize it’s not the norm for these bikes but when these issues happen to you it tends to be a game changer one way or another 😞
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:28:10 PM by Ncdan »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2397
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »
The new owner called me today. Turns out the bike dropped an oil pump after they bought it and it spent months in the shop, again. They get it back and ride it for very little, and boom, it's back in the shop again with the same problem (timing chain tensioner break) as I initially had. Long story short, altogether there's going to be over $6000 invested in repairs that just don't hold. If I'd have kept it, this would be almost 24 months in the shop, 8 hours round trip each time. I think I would have went postal by now. I feel bad for them, but if Guzzi would have just ponied up a new motor 2 years ago, this could have all been avoided. If my old dealer would have filed the claim like he was supposed to, the end user wouldn't have to spend any money. Shame on Piaggio. Shame. Sell a 22K bike and totally forget about the customer. I'd say something else here, but libel laws could get me in trouble.

So, the reason I write this...Does anyone have any clue what would cause a bike to keep busting timing chain tensioners? I'd like to pass on any information to him if I can.

Not really much to go on, guessing on the net would be foolish
But what I read is
Bike rebuilt after tensioner failed
Immediately has oil pump issue
Followed by tensioner failing again

I wouldn’t blame Piaggio for the second two, do the people that took your money for the rebuild say just bad luck?
All I can see is they fixed a symptom  but not the cause.

Pictures of “dropped” oil pump might show clues, how many miles after “rebuild” did it happen ?

Offline Joliet Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6249
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »
That's why I stopped buying Guzzis 18 years ago.

I still find it amazing for twins our Stones were so different as far as issues
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"
Just memories
The Psycho Chicken
The Fire Demon
Thumper

Offline Motormike

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1745
  • Location: Tennessee
Re: My old MGX
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »
I’ve been pretty lucky in that all of bikes I’ve owned, I’ve never had a real hand-grenade in the bunch.  I did have a Stator mounting bolt snap off inside the primary of Buell Lighting once.  Made a lot of metal shavings as it chewed up the rotor, but looked worse than it was.
Lots of horror stories on various BMW forums about costly engine failures. The K1200 “slant” fours would occasionally jump timing and turn the engine into scrap.  Boxer engine cams apparently made out of putty, etc.
My 2012 Road Glide never stranded me, but was a constant headache. Never did get it to run properly.




NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here