Author Topic: Rear brake issue on my Norge  (Read 155 times)

Offline Hormel Chavez

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Location: Durham, NC - USA
Rear brake issue on my Norge
« on: October 03, 2026, 12:59:22 PM »
Howdy. I had a weird issue with my rear brake a few weeks ago, and I am just getting around to looking into it. I was riding to work one morning and just before I pulled into the garage to park, I felt a very heavy drag on the bike. It took me a moment to realize, but my rear brake was very nearly locked. Not completely locked up, but heavy pressure. Luckily another Guzzi rider magically appeared and loaned me some tools. I banged around on it a bit and did some press and release, and it freed itself. It seems to be operating almost normally now, but I am a bit paranoid, as I do not want it to come back at highway speed. The brake seems normal now, but low pressure on the pedal. I lubed the brake, but visually it seems very clean and in good shape. I have not replaced the fluid yet. Curious if any of you who are more learned in Guzzi-fu can offer advice. I guess fluid next, then rebuild if that doesn't fix the issue? Thoughts are appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2026, 12:59:51 PM by Hormel Chavez »

Online Michael_A

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • *
  • Posts: 75
    • Penguin Video Productions
  • Location: Out in the west part of Texas...
Re: Rear brake issue on my Norge
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2026, 01:28:23 PM »
Check the pads to make sure they are wearing evenly. Sometimes they don't, and that can cause an issue with the pistons retracting. The fix for that would be new pads and a good caliper clean. Do bleed the system and give a thorough visual inspection. Crap in old fluid can gum up a lot of stuff, like tiny return valves. Also, not sure if your model has rubber hoses, but check them for any swelling or weirdness. Old school rubber brake hoses can come apart internally and cause the pressure to not release - rare, but seen it happen.


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here