Author Topic: Darmah  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Scout63

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2692
  • Location: Orleans, MA USA
Darmah
« on: August 17, 2023, 09:47:04 PM »
I bought this 1980 Darmah today.  It will be shipped up from South Carolina in a few weeks.  My many thanks to Cliffrod for connecting me with the Seller. It is on an MSO never titled, fueled or run.  I’m sure it will need a lot of sorting.   I’ve always been scornful of bikes that aren’t riders so maybe I will end up getting it roadworthy and register it.  If it gets here in time I’ll haul it to IMOC to show it off.






Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Tusayan

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1906
Re: Darmah
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 11:23:10 PM »
That’s an amazing find.

I had one of the last, an ‘83 Darmah, and still have my SS.  The Darmah is a nice motorcycle and I wouldn’t have imagined there was still a brand new one out there.

Be a bit careful with the wheels, they are the Speedlines that are known to fail and were recalled in some markets.  The other wheel types installed on Darmahs are Campagnolo and FPS, both interchangeable but they look slightly different.



« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 11:34:34 PM by Tusayan »

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1450
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: Darmah
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 12:57:39 AM »
What a find  :thumb: :bow: :cool: Congrats, enjoy :wink:
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14344
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Darmah
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 04:20:26 AM »
Had an identical one.
Stable as a brick outhouse.

Offline Dukedesmo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 685
  • Location: England
Re: Darmah
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 04:20:32 AM »
A new Darmah, amazing.


Enjoy riding it, do you still get a factory warranty...?    :grin:
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Stretch

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 777
  • Location: Belgrade, Maine
Re: Darmah
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 05:40:30 AM »
Get it roadworthy?!

Of course!

Then take it out for a long ride in the rain - you can always detail it later.   :grin:

                                                -Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1971 BMW R75/5
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online cliffrod

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2448
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
  • Location: Spartanburg, SC USA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 05:51:16 AM »
Sometimes the stars just align.   Pretty stoked that they did this time. 

It looks like an amazing bike and needed the right new owner.  Now it has one.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
YouTube @carolinasculpturestudio
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifzjA6A

Offline chuck peterson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5518
  • Location: New Haven CT
Re: Darmah
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 06:17:42 AM »
No


Way.
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

czakky82

  • Guest
Re: Darmah
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 07:54:04 AM »
Color me jealous!

Online inditx

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1608
  • Location: KC Area
Re: Darmah
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 08:30:47 AM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4841
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »
Excellent.  The Ducati force is strong in this one.  :)
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline kidsmoke

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1560
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
  • Location: Indiana, USA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 09:44:58 AM »
https://media.giphy.com/media/V0IdVIIW1y5d6/giphy.gif

seems these things find their way home. Congrats!
 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:45:51 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5      (Gina)
'93 1000S (Monica)
'00 Jackal  (Claudia)
'09 GRiSO  (Perla)

Offline twodogs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 708
  • Location: ia
Re: Darmah
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 10:57:34 AM »
Wow, nice find  :boozing:
1983 Honda CB1100F
2024Triumph 400 Speed x2

Offline Anomaly

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 370
  • Location: Southern Tuscany
Re: Darmah
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 02:02:36 PM »
Jeezus Ben! When is the/your museum opening?

What a find!
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Online Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Darmah
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2023, 05:00:04 PM »
I had an '80 just like it until 98 when I got the Centauro bug.
That's an amazing find.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline nc43bsa

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1500
  • Location: Mooresville NC
Re: Darmah
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2023, 05:14:50 PM »
Back in the late 80s I had a 1980 SS and a co-worker had a Darmah, both black and gold, both with Contis.

Occasionally, we'd start them in the shop and have a "sound-off."
1990 MilleGT

Offline mondtster

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
Re: Darmah
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2023, 09:05:05 PM »
Nice! I've always wanted a Darmah.

Offline Scout63

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2692
  • Location: Orleans, MA USA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2023, 09:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I have a feeling that it has a fair bit of corrosion. I’ll post pictures when it gets here. I think it is karma. I posted a big box of the CX parts that I got last year in Toronto from Harry Tiefenbach to Clint, and he returned the favor by sending me the seller’s number. The relationships here are so great.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline SmithSwede

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2191
  • I don't want a pickle
  • Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Darmah
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2023, 11:39:32 PM »
Wow.  What a beautiful bike.  I love old Ducatis.  Keep us posted when it arrives

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline s1120

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2199
Re: Darmah
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 07:32:03 AM »
WOW what a find!!  I would be torn...  you know its never been on the road, and its only new once. DO you stash it, or run it?  I would never own something that I couldnt run, so I know what I would do. :)  Enjoy!! 
Paul B

Online Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Darmah
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 01:51:47 PM »
Congrats, one of my favorite bikes!  :thumb:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline dguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1613
Re: Darmah
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2023, 03:16:26 PM »
  Groover got that right!
It's Darma Karma,  Let us know the progress as you bring it to life!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'13 F150
'16 Mustang

Online cliffrod

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2448
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
  • Location: Spartanburg, SC USA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2023, 07:21:39 PM »
Things really aligned for this Ducati. 

I was 8+ hrs from home visiting friends for the week when it popped up.  Deals like this one only seem to appear near my house when I’m not home….  Some here probably know what I mean.   It looked like a very nice bike and seemed to fit Ben’s world, so I sent him the info I had.  The next morning, I messaged the seller early.  There’s poor reception at my friend’s shop but seller called almost immediately before I left the motel for the day.  Seemed like a great guy with legit info.  From there, it just kept going well. 

The dealer who ordered it new from Berliner never sold it and supposedly kept it on display at his dealership in South Carolina for many years.  I’ll be curious to find out more about the general condition as Ben goes through it.

Ben was a generous friend last year soon after the CX moved into my shop- no fanfare, just doing his thing.  It is a better bike to own because of friends like him.  The latest box of backordered tuning bits for it just came while I was out of town.  I’m looking forward to getting it resolved and on the road.   Glad I could do something to help return the favor.  Thanks again, Ben.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
YouTube @carolinasculpturestudio
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifzjA6A

Online Pescatore

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 525
  • Location: Reading, Massachusetts
Re: Darmah
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2023, 09:05:14 PM »
Bellissima!
 :popcorn:
2008 Norge red
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline Denis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 782
  • Information is not knowledge.
  • Location: Raleigh, NC
Re: Darmah
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2023, 07:24:12 AM »
This was the one advertised on FB Marketplace n Beaufort, SC back in July, right?
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII
'74 Eldorado
'85 LeMans
'91 California big valve
'61 Falcone Turismo,
'41 Indian 841
'40 Indian Model 640B ex-Canadian Army
'40 Indian Chief 340B

Offline 2WheelsUp

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 151
  • Location: N GA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2023, 09:43:27 PM »
Congratulations on the Darmah Ben, quite a score! It's a dream buy, and I'm suspect you are still taking it in. Looking forward to seeing more of your bike, prep to get it road worthy, and of course, impressions of your first ride.
 
Turns out I'm in the market for a Darmah, maybe a GTS but prefer a Darmah given the improvements over the GTS. A good friend, guy I grew up with, has a Darmah SSD he picked up about 5 years ago. He had one when we were young... I was riding my first LM1... and among many rides, we rode the Rockies together on them, Denver to Banff... ride of a lifetime. I have two other Ducati's that I love, a 748 and a 939 SS, and while they are a blast to ride, I'm wanting a vintage Ducati.

I'm nearing the finish on my Norton MK3 restoration, will post something soon, just didn't want the pressure of frequent posts, particularly given it's been a quite a battle. It'll all be worth it when it's complete, just a bitch to tackle all the issues. Back to your Darmah, I have at least one more restoration in me and a 70's-80 Ducati would be perfect. Hope to find one soon. Good luck on your new bike!
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2001 Harley Davidson Road King
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline leafman60

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6826
Re: Darmah
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2023, 10:07:42 PM »
I had a Ducati Darmah for several years back in the '80s. 

One of my subscribed motorcycle magazines had a front cover picture and review of the bike and that's what primed my desire for one. A slightly used one popped up at Darryl Fuller's Continental Cycles in Marietta (Atlanta) Georgia near where I lived at the time and I bought it.  The Darmah was a good bike, Ducati's version of a Gentleman's Express, competition for some of the BMW bikes of the day.

After owning the Darmah for a while, I ended up adding a very low miles 1981 Ducati 900SS.  What a thrilling machine was the 900SS.  By comparison, the Darmah was heavier and slower.  On the other hand, the Darmah had electric start and more comfortable appointments. 

After several years, I sold the Darmah and after several more years I sold the 900SS for what I thought was big money in the '90s.

Some of the Darmahs had trouble with the sprag clutch starter mechanism.

It's a very nice motorcycle and owning one should be very rewarding.

.

Offline Scout63

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2692
  • Location: Orleans, MA USA
Re: Darmah
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2023, 06:35:15 AM »
This was the one advertised on FB Marketplace n Beaufort, SC back in July, right?

Hi Denis - I think so.  Waiting for it to arrive.  I’m hoping it is as advertised. The pictures were a little fuzzy but I really liked the seller and I think Darmahs look really cool. I’ve always thought 0 mile bikes are a little useless. I feel a little silly buying it.  I’ll display it in my office for a bit and figure out what to do with it.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Stretch

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 777
  • Location: Belgrade, Maine
Re: Darmah
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2023, 04:12:53 PM »
Quote
I’ll display it in my office for a bit and figure out what to do with it.

When you're done with it in the office as an interior design element,
I'd be happy to let it visit my heated/dehumidified garage. Of course,
I'd also take it out from time to time to wring it's lovely little neck so
it doesn't feel neglected.   :wink:

Let me know if you need my assistance........  :grin:

                                            -Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1971 BMW R75/5
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here