Author Topic: Found this in my sporti gearbox  (Read 1281 times)

Offline bigpants

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
Found this in my sporti gearbox
« on: August 20, 2026, 03:19:06 AM »
My clutch started to drag yesterday and cable adjustment wasn't enough. So I decided to pull the thrust bearing and other gubbins from behind the clutch arm. Unfortunately the pin is seized so I had to take the gearbox cover off. A collapsed needle bearing inside meant it was difficult to remove the cover and it took a bit of force and lots of jiggling. Anyway I found this in the bottom of the gearbox housing . Any idea where it goes ?




Offline Frenchfrog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2026, 04:33:46 AM »
Part of the selector mechanism...there's a spring that goes inside .
Here you will find all the different parts lists for Guzzzi's https://www.guzzitek.org/

Offline paulbricey

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 68
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2026, 04:43:00 AM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2026, 04:52:09 AM by paulbricey »
Riding to live

Offline bigpants

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2026, 05:59:08 AM »
€67 ! Glad I didn't lose it.

Offline bigpants

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2026, 06:03:25 AM »
Also I wonder where the springs gone.
I've done gearbox strip and replace on my little honda rs125 but never on the guzzi. Now the selector drum has fallen out I'm guessing I need to pull everything out and put it back together again. Obviously I'll be replacing the three bearings on the gearbox cover , I guess there are more the other side of the shafts ?

Online Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2026, 07:15:04 AM »
€67 ! Glad I didn't lose it.

There shouldn't be a hole in it.  It needs to be replaced.
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline pressureangle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1026
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2026, 07:38:49 AM »
While it's out, have a very close inspection of 3rd and 5th gear for any developing defects. The cushioned drives in the injecteds apparently resolve the earlier failures, but worth a look. Mine's on the floor due to clutch pushrod seal failure, it's getting a transplanted helical box while I go through the straight-cut box thoroughly. After using every possible gear oil, I've settled on Chevron Delo ESI 85-140; it runs cooler and quieter than any other I've tried. It's hard to find, not 'shelf Delo'- be sure it's ESI. It reduced my rear drive temp by about 15*F from Redline Shockproof heavy.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Online Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14138
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2026, 08:11:01 AM »
There shouldn't be a hole in it.  It needs to be replaced.

I have seen some of them made with the hole. Not sure why.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2026, 08:24:17 AM »
I have seen some of them made with the hole. Not sure why.
Hell, I thought they all had holes in them, all I have seen. Thought it was to lube detent better.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

Online Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2026, 08:29:58 AM »
Hell, I thought they all had holes in them, all I have seen. Thought it was to lube detent better.

I'm sure you are correct.  All of the older gearboxes I have worked on are solid to the tip.   

If you look closely at the hole it looks like one side is distorted and raised a bit.  If the edge caught on the drum, that could explain why it dislodged.



Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15170
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2026, 08:32:44 AM »
Hell, I thought they all had holes in them, all I have seen. Thought it was to lube detent better.

All of the early ones have a hole - any pressure vents through it and out of the fitting. Later ones may not, since the vent fitting was relocated to the cover.
Charlie

Offline bigpants

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2026, 09:27:15 AM »
I think that bit only came out because I dislodged the drum trying to remove the rear casing .
Are there any other gearbox options for the sporti ? I would like to increase my final ratio a bit , say go up to the equivalent of dropping two teeth off a rear sprocket .

Offline Pescatore

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 525
  • Location: Reading, Massachusetts
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2026, 02:50:39 PM »
Did you remove the mushroom vent on the gearbox?
The spring might be stuck in the vent.
2008 Norge red
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline pressureangle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1026
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
Re: Found this in my sporti gearbox
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2026, 07:40:00 PM »
I think that bit only came out because I dislodged the drum trying to remove the rear casing .
Are there any other gearbox options for the sporti ? I would like to increase my final ratio a bit , say go up to the equivalent of dropping two teeth off a rear sprocket .

Though I have to be away for a month while the gearbox is on the floor and the bike on the hook, I'm currently installing a '76 T3 helical box in mine, after finding the beginnings of failure once apart. Thread on V11lemans.com;
https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/31826-straight-cut-gearbox-failures/
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here