Author Topic: Convert dash clean up help  (Read 4861 times)

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Convert dash clean up help
« on: February 20, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
Good day,

I am working on my 76 Convert and wondered who might have suggestions regarding disassembly and cleaning of this speedo.
I see the four, face-side hidden screws but before I open I'd like to know what I may be in for...been through the tedious process of disassembling and re-assembling Honda speedos and I'm looking for any pointers or tips.

Thanks


2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline ritratto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 724
  • Location: Houston, TX
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
Try a little 0000 steel wool on the glass or if you'd like an easier way, I have a speedo like yours with only 2500 miles on it and looks almost new, you can have for the shipping cost. PM me your email and I'll send a pic of it if interested.

Ted
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline jbell

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 926
  • Some progress
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
Congrats, you have both toggle switches and the little rubber booties.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.


"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline ritratto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 724
  • Location: Houston, TX
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »
Sent you a pic to your email.
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:09:02 PM »
Try a little 0000 steel wool on the glass or if you'd like an easier way, I have a speedo like yours with only 2500 miles on it and looks almost new, you can have for the shipping cost. PM me your email and I'll send a pic of it if interested.

Ted

Ted<

Most if not all the grunge is on the inside...I pm'ed you information. Thanks so much for your kind offer. All I'll have to do is run the mileage even. Way Cool!!
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Matteo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
  • Location: Hudson Valley
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
Frank if you set the gauge on a bench glass down you can use a small screwdriver to carefully pry on the retaining ring to remove the glass.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge, 80 CX100

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 06:37:51 PM »
Frank if you set the gauge on a bench glass down you can use a small screwdriver to carefully pry on the retaining ring to remove the glass.

K just like a Honda then...thanks...how about opening the dash...no issues?
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Matteo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
  • Location: Hudson Valley
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »
Never had one.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge, 80 CX100

Online fubar guzzi

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
  • Location: Chester, Nebraska
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »
giusto   I would like the one you cant use  :bow:

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
giusto   I would like the one you cant use  :bow:


Sure thing. It'll be a bit before I know. Send me a pm and remind me.
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
Good day,

I am working on my 76 Convert and wondered who might have suggestions regarding disassembly and cleaning of this speedo.
I see the four, face-side hidden screws but before I open I'd like to know what I may be in for...been through the tedious process of disassembling and re-assembling Honda speedos and I'm looking for any pointers or tips.

Thanks



Thanks Ted!!!
Before and after photos of my Convert speedo....this Board Rocks!!!
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
giusto   I would like the one you cant use  :bow:

pm me with your address
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
How long would it take to run up the miles to match using a drill? (if you chose to do so)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »
I've got plenty of time before it goes back on the bike...so we'll see...lol...anyone out there ever run up a speedo that far?
I do plan on it...16,627 miles to add
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline mtiberio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 4218
    • TiberioRacing
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 06:16:10 AM »
great job, but you are missing 3 of the 4 rubber plugs that cover up the cover hold down screws. 3 of the screws have been replaced with bolts.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline giusto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
  • Location: Traverse City Michigan
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
great job, but you are missing 3 of the 4 rubber plugs that cover up the cover hold down screws. 3 of the screws have been replaced with bolts.

Yup

Working on that. I have the bolts... Just need the little black plastic plugs. Any idea where to find them ?
I guess I coukd use ribber that may be easier to find ?

Thank for the input
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline mtiberio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 4218
    • TiberioRacing
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 07:41:52 AM »
you might contact Harpers. otherwise your local mom and pop hardware store might have generic plastic hole plugs that fit.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline chuck peterson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5516
  • Location: New Haven CT
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »
go very gently on the thru screws holding the two halfs together...pretty brittle plastic...I used some nice stainless allen heads long enough to sit on the top instead of recessed, because some of the inside plastic was already broken

the rubber toggle switch covers are out there...at the very least from McMaster Carr, but try MGCcyle etc

well lets think about this...if you need to add 16k, and you can get your drill to go an indicated 60....all you'll need is....266 hours of a drill spinning fast enough to hit 60mph...might take a few drills? Looks great to me as is..

if you can get all the wiring together and make all those silly lights go blink, blink...your a wiring hero

love those PerVerts...
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Curtis Harper

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1342
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
you might contact Harpers. otherwise your local mom and pop hardware store might have generic plastic hole plugs that fit.

Don't have the little black plugs anymore. Appreciate the reference, but out of them.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline ritratto

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 724
  • Location: Houston, TX
Re: Convert dash clean up help
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »
Looking good there Frank!
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here