Author Topic: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!  (Read 1795 times)

Offline brider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1592
Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« on: August 24, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
After years of whining on this board, I finally found the source of my Auto "slipping". Not the fluid type, not the banjo crush washers, not the multi-piece pump inlet line, not the internal tranny-input O-rings, and not (again) the hex drive! It was the large o-ring where the pump assembly fits into the timing cover! The o-ring had taken a triangular cross-section "set" where it compressed onto the chamfered machined surface of the timing cover, and was no longer making a pressure seal. OMG, I was thiiiiiis close to parting the thing out......Thanks for all the troubleshooting tips, guys!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
'05 KTM 950 Adventure
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
Goodonya for gettingto it!

I thought we'd discussed that some months/year ago?

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
All you need to do now is pin the clutch  :evil:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=85562.0  :popcorn:
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline bigbikerrick

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6077
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Thats good info for us convert owners, B Rider! Thanks for sharing that. I was not aware that flattening of that O ring would cause a loss of atf pressure/flow, but it makes total sense.
Gracias!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Testarossa

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3318
    • Skiing History
  • Location: Paonia, Colorado
Re: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »
Thou hast slain the Jabberwock.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:17:12 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250; 1974 MGB
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline ITSec

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3040
  • Location: Southwestern US
Re: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
"He chortled in his joy..."

Now, just make sure you continue to shun the frumious bandersnatch!  :grin:

Time to go snark-hunting...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline brider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1592
Re: Oh, Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay! My Cal II Auto works now!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
Yes, I feel as though I have indeed slain the Jabberwock. Until Rodekyll reasoned some sense into me with his history on this subject, I was also thiiiiis close to pulling the tranny and replacing the internal O-rings. I was even looking for parts to convert it to a 5-speed. Now that it works again, I am blown away by the comfort and ease of riding on the world's biggest moped. Those who haven't ridden an automatic ought to try sometime.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
'05 KTM 950 Adventure
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here