Author Topic: Magnificent knock off  (Read 3552 times)

Online lucian

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3333
  • Location: Maine, Ayuh
Magnificent knock off
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
Never seen one of these but I like it. I had a t100 for a short spell and found it nice to look at but boring to ride. I think the seller may be right, this may be a collectible. Any thoughts?




https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2000-kawasaki-w650-triumph/6362829944.html

Offline Testarossa

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3318
    • Skiing History
  • Location: Paonia, Colorado
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
They're pretty desirable now and that seems to be a typical price for a good one.

The original W-series began in 1960 as a licensed version of the BSA A7, the Meguro K.

The 1999-2000 version was an all-new OHC design.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250; 1974 MGB
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Chesterfield

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 191
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
Never seen one of these but I like it. I had a t100 for a short spell and found it nice to look at but boring to ride. I think the seller may be right, this may be a collectible. Any thoughts?
Sure it`s collectible it will be worth $7000 in ten more years. Passbook savings will do you better with no maintenance costs.



https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2000-kawasaki-w650-triumph/6362829944.html

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »
Slight correction to the seller's ad:
He/she says "........ These Kawasakis were only made for two years and are soon to become very desirable ........"

Actually, they were only available in the US market as 2000 and 2001 models before Kaw decided to quit importing into USA.  They were available in Europe (and presumably Asia) for several more years, until the W650 was replaced by the W800, which was never imported into the USA.

I rode mine for 50,000 miles, and the little Kaw never failed to please.

Bob

EDIT:  I owned and rode both a 2000 W650 and 2003 790cc Bonneville Centennial Edition concurrently for several years.  Here's a brief comparison chart I put together outlining basic differences.





« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:31:56 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3597
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »
If the Bonneville bored you, the Kaw would put you to sleep. I found the W650 to be even more underwhelming than my 790 Triumphs. The kick start is a nice novelty feature, as is the bevel tower, and it is refreshing to see a classic styled bike. Kawasaki could not give them away when they were new, however. It seems that more people, me included, would rather see "TRIUMPH" on the tank.  :laugh:

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
If the Bonneville bored you, the Kaw would put you to sleep. I found the W650 to be even more underwhelming than my 790 Triumphs. The kick start is a nice novelty feature, as is the bevel tower, and it is refreshing to see a classic styled bike. Kawasaki could not give them away when they were new, however. It seems that more people, me included, would rather see "TRIUMPH" on the tank.  :laugh:
Shorty, since all this stuff is subjective ...... I have to say I found the W650 more interesting and involving than the T100.  Having owned a BSA 650 Scrambler (A10,) and spent a good bit of time on a Triumph TR6 in the mid-1960s, the W seemed more true to the older bikes than the Triumph.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online lucian

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3333
  • Location: Maine, Ayuh
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »
I would imagine the engine performance may be less than the t100, but they did a nice job aesthetically. I like  the old school touches like the kick start ,twin instruments, carbs, rear drum ,chrome fenders, fork gators, pea shooters and a classic rear rack.  Really reminds me of all the old Nortons, bsa's and Triumphs I grew up watching all the cool older guy's riding.  ( I'm 56)  At 5,500 it is already holding it's own value wise.  Sometimes knock off's surpass the real deal somehow. I wonder if it has points or elct?

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »
I would imagine the engine performance may be less than the t100, but they did a nice job aesthetically. I like  the old school touches like the kick start ,twin instruments, carbs, rear drum ,chrome fenders, fork gators, pea shooters and a classic rear rack.  Really reminds me of all the old Nortons, bsa's and Triumphs I grew up watching all the cool older guy's riding.  ( I'm 56)  At 5,500 it is already holding it's own value wise.  Sometimes knock off's surpass the real deal somehow. I wonder if it has points or elct?
No points ...... it isn't that retro! 

To me, it was just a sweet little motorcycle. Stock pipes sounded pretty good.  The tranny was as smooth as any bike I've ever owned.  Loved the Kaw neutral finder!  For a Japanese motorcycle, it was very British in feel (aside from the fact it was manufactured in Japan.) (I'm 74 btw !)
Bob
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:01:45 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3597
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:27 PM »
Shorty, since all this stuff is subjective ...... I have to say I found the W650 more interesting and involving than the T100.  Having owned a BSA 650 Scrambler (A10,) and spent a good bit of time on a Triumph TR6 in the mid-1960s, the W seemed more true to the older bikes than the Triumph.

They are pretty neat bikes. Be nice to see the W800 available stateside. Part of my decision to buy my Bonnies was the fact they were made in England, (albiet with Oriental manufacturing influence)  That is no longer a consideration, as Bonnies have been assembled in Thailand since about 2008. Very subjective, as you say.

Offline sign216

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4946
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
  • Location: Taunton, Massachusetts
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
As others have said, I really like the kick start feature.  Too bad Kaw didn't think this would sell in the USA, or...maybe they knew right, and the real answer is "too bad USA riders don't appreciate a lightweight, old school bike."
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
As others have said, I really like the kick start feature.  Too bad Kaw didn't think this would sell in the USA, or...maybe they knew right, and the real answer is "too bad USA riders don't appreciate a lightweight, old school bike."
I purchased my W650 in August of 2000.  The dealer had four of them on the floor ..... I bought one of them, for $5234.00 out the door, which included 'fees' and 'freight.'  I think Kaw learned their lesson from their experience with the W650, and decided to keep the W800 in Europe and Asia.  Our magazine testers seem to always say 'bring it, we'll buy it.'  That is, until the bike is actually brought to the US.  Then it is more like 'we were kidding about the buying it part.'

I only sold mine because it was no longer in Kaw's USA product line, and it had over 50,000 miles on it.  Seemed like a good time to sell.  She was running nicely, and I was going to continue piling on the miles ...... I treated this little bike like a 3/4 scale BMW sport tourer.  So, it was time to move on, and sell the bike to someone who would probably ride it more on the weekends instead of longer distance trips.

She was a sweetheart!




upload png google


With small tank bag, Corbin saddle, flyscreen, and Givi E21 bags, I'd take this bike anywhere!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:41:57 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline keener

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 338
Re: Magnificent knock off
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
they sold them  in Canada , here we get some models that do not make it to the USA ...they didnt sell well though, but those that had them seemed to be well pleased ,  i remember a couple of riders touring on a W650 and a Suzuki 650 Tempter they had come from Eastern Canada and loved the bikes reliable and cheap to run , big miles for any bike probably 7500 return ..


smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here