Author Topic: Military Honor Flight  (Read 3505 times)

Offline ChuckH

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1520
Military Honor Flight
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:06:52 AM »
I recently went on a one-day trip to Washington DC as part of the Indy Honor Flight program.  In a word, the experience was AWESOME!!

If any of you are eligible because you served on active duty during following times, I would strongly recommend you consider applying to go.  The eligibility times are:  WW II: 12/7/41-12/31/46  Korean War: 6/25/50-7/27/53  Vietnam: 2/28/61-5/7/75.

Many states have Honor Flight Chapters that make multiple trips each year.  There were ten other groups on their Flights the day we were in DC.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:47:09 AM by ChuckH »
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 06:27:31 AM »
I did that a few years ago. It was a great experience. The Navy veteran I was assigned got up the steps of the Lincoln memorial faster than I did.  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Texas Turnip

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2641
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 06:53:14 AM »
Chuck,
Thanks for your service.
I had a chance to take the trip, but said it should go to older vets than me that actually served in wartime. True, I was in during the Vietnam era but never fired a gun or got shot at while aboard ship.

Tex


Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
Chuck,
Thanks for your service.
I had a chance to take the trip, but said it should go to older vets than me that actually served in wartime. True, I was in during the Vietnam era but never fired a gun or got shot at while aboard ship.

Tex

I was never in.   But when YOU joined, you took an oath to follow orders, and die for your country if necessary, and do what had to be done.   Just because you were not ordered to the front isn't any sort of mark against your commitment and service.   

Thanks!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29697
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 06:18:49 PM »
Chuck, my cousin Dick is a young fellow like you.. and said the letters he got during "mail call" brought a tear to his eye..
Thanks from all of us.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3599
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it! These are awesome events
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Bigtime

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 03:56:24 AM »
  Chuck,   I know I've told you at the rally but THANK YOU for your service. Glad you enjoyed your honor flight. I want to extend my heart felt THANKS to everyone who has serviced in the military or law enforcement. :bow:     JohnB

Offline ChuckH

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1520
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 04:51:42 AM »
Chuck, my cousin Dick is a young fellow like you.. and said the letters he got during "mail call" brought a tear to his eye.. Thanks from all of us. 

Chuck,

That's exactly correct.  My mail pouch had 50 or so notes, letters and drawings, mostly from people I don't even know.  I've answered (with a hand-written letter) all that I can identify where they came from and from whom -- like; Bobbie or Suzie from some Middle School in Some Town in IN.  It was really neat.  And, yes, they did bring a tear to my eye, just as they are right now as I'm typing this response.  I must be getting soft.

Thanks for the good words guys.  My time in the Navy was '52 to '56.  Over 60 years ago, seems like a life time.  It was a very good experience for an 18 year old kid.  Looking back, the best thing that ever happened to me.

The Other Chuck

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Rough Edge racing

  • Guest
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 05:12:56 AM »
I was never in.   But when YOU joined, you took an oath to follow orders, and die for your country if necessary, and do what had to be done.   Just because you were not ordered to the front isn't any sort of mark against your commitment and service.   

Thanks!

Lannis

  I was drafted at age 19 and served two years but was never in a combat zone...I consider my service not in the same class as those who were actually in deadly combat situations...I have strong opinions on this subject that are best left off this site..

Offline Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
I went with my WW2 veteran father 4 years ago.  It was one of his favorite memories and mine also.  I am very thankful that we went before he passed.
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline ChuckH

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1520
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »
I went with my WW2 veteran father 4 years ago.  It was one of his favorite memories and mine also.  I am very thankful that we went before he passed. 

Our son, 51 years, a veteran of the Coast Guard and an engineer at GM in Michigan, was my Guardian.  He was amazed at what we experienced.  It was a great time for us, together.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline jbell

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 926
  • Some progress
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 11:28:51 AM »
  I was drafted at age 19 and served two years but was never in a combat zone...I consider my service not in the same class as those who were actually in deadly combat situations...I have strong opinions on this subject that are best left off this site..

I dunno, brother.  It's the only job I ever had that the FBI comes looking for you if you don't show up for work.  They can keep you at work and send you anywhere in the world and not let you say goodbye to your family or even tell you where you're going.  They can send you someplace where pissed off people with guns want to kill you.  Or some substandard jerk with a higher pay grade could make your life miserable with little you could do about it.  If you served, you were vulnerable.  I salute you. ps, you must have some kind of charm about you if you were drafted and didn't draw combat zone pay.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.


"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3599
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: Military Honor Flight
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 06:21:14 AM »
I've supported several of these, they often get active guys involved, and we love rubbing elbows with our older brothers. Best ive been a part of is the D day reenactment jump into Belgium and France. Actually had some WW2 screaming Eagles jump with us.... Talk about HONOR...... The people of France and Belgium were friendly to us but just about worshipped our WW2 brothers.... Not a dry eye for a few days.....

Was flying out of Baltimore yesterday to head to our youngest's college for 'parents weekend' and was pleasantly surprised to find an arrival of an honor flight. Always a special opportunity to honor a vet and one of the small % who stepped up... Volunteer or not, in combat or not honorable service deserves honor and respect.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:29:22 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here