Author Topic: V7 Ignition Switch  (Read 1693 times)

Offline TobyJug

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
  • Location: Kamloops, BC
V7 Ignition Switch
« on: August 04, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »
I thought I'd share this with you all ..

I've had flashing lights on my V7II dash lately.  The reason became apparent yesterday when the ignition switch failed.  Needless to say, the dealer (who happens to be only about 5km away) doesn't have one in stock - although he does say it'll only be about 7 - 10 days away.

So I looked at what I had available and found a short 2 pin extension cord.  I cut it up and connected the socket in parallel with the ignition switch and then just shorted out the 2 wires on the plug end - and that's now my ignition switch.  Definite Guzzi content there eh?

I have ordered a new ignition switch - I couldn't leave it like this.

 
2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline Kiwi_Roy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10231
  • Location: New Westminster British Columbia, Canada
Re: V7 Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »
We need a picture of this fix.

Good for you, many owners would have been grounded   :thumb:
Did you take a picture of the melted switch?

I suspect your bike is an early sufferer of V7 Startus Interruptus
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2008_V7_Classic.gif  Item (29)
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2013_V7_Series.gif  Item (14)
A good fix will depend on which of these diagrams apply to your bike
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:46:36 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since 1921

Offline RinkRat II

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2293
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: V7 Ignition Switch
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:19:09 PM »

    :thumb: Anti Theft Device :evil:

       Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline malik

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2446
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: V7 Ignition Switch
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 04:05:03 AM »
Note, when my ignition failed there were none in the country, but there were lock sets, AND the cost of the lock wasn't much more than the ignition alone. One key is more convenient than two.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi_Roy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10231
  • Location: New Westminster British Columbia, Canada
Re: V7 Ignition Switch
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 04:40:24 AM »
The ignition switch likely fails because the starter solenoid overloads it.

Another form of Startus Interruptus.
What will it take for the factory to wake up and wire the starter right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:32:06 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here