Author Topic: Headlight woes. Jackal  (Read 1912 times)

Offline john fish

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1928
Headlight woes. Jackal
« on: August 11, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »








Haven’t looked around yet. Looks like I’ll need a new H4 headlight and connector (bulb holder?).

Best sources?  Also, I bought an LED bulb but it doesn’t fit. Good source for LED bulb?  Oh, 2000 Jackal.

Thanks.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline john fish

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1928
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »




I bought the above from a company called advtransfer but it doesn’t fit.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline severely

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 180
  • Location: KCMO/RGV/where the wind blows
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 12:33:00 PM »
Head down to your local auto parts store and get a new receptacle before anything else. I've had 3 receptacles burn out on my bikes in the last year. Simply a loose connection that gets hotter as it loosens, the wires carrying current to the bulbs are too small. Your bulb MAY be OK, mine were. Tight, hard to install receptacles are best. Good luck. let us know how it turns out. :bike-037:

Offline john fish

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1928
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »





Haven’t looked around yet. Looks like I’ll need a new H4 headlight and connector (bulb holder?).

Best sources?  Also, I bought an LED bulb but it doesn’t fit. Good source for LED bulb?  Oh, 2000 Jackal.

Thanks.

Thanks, Severely.  Just got back from the parts store and got a new bulb holder.  Hard to tell in the above photo but the reflector that sits in front of the bulb is broken off.  No luck finding a new headlight shell so I'll probably have to het this from Harpers.

http://www.harpermoto.com/h4-halogen-headlight-200004.html
He lost the run of himself.

Offline bigbikerrick

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6077
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
you can separate the glass from the headlight shell to access that reflector piece. use heat gun and carefully pry it apart. I did it to clean a haze that had coated the inside of the glass.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15170
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Measure your headlight to be sure, but I think it's bigger than 7".

Almost any LED bulb will require some "clearancing" of the alloy piece on the original headlight. There's a little lip it hangs up on, which I removed with my Dremel to install this bulb:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1AOSVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charlie

Offline john fish

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1928
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:44:28 PM »




Thanks fellas. I took it apart and removed the above piece. Also, replaced the bulb holder with one that’s supppsed to be more heat resistant.

Charlie, how much material did you remove?
He lost the run of himself.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15170
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »




Thanks fellas. I took it apart and removed the above piece. Also, replaced the bulb holder with one that’s supppsed to be more heat resistant.

Charlie, how much material did you remove?

It wasn't much, maybe 1 mm all around, at most.
Charlie

Offline john fish

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1928
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
Thanks again.

The LED bulb that I got is a good 5 mm too wide to fit.  I'll look into that one that you found.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline larrys

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
  • Location: SE CT
Re: Headlight woes. Jackal
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 07:50:10 AM »




I bought the above from a company called advtransfer but it doesn’t fit.
That looks like the one I put in my Cal. What Charlie said. I had to relieve the bulb holder in a couple areas with a carbide burr tip in a Dremel. Not 5 MM, though.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here