Author Topic: V7III Check Engine Light  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Siamese

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
  • Location: Michigan
V7III Check Engine Light
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
2018 V7III, check engine light just came on at about 1350 miles.  Grrrrr.   

Nearest dealer is an hour away.  I'll have to rent a trailer.  Boo hoo, right? 

Okay, so this is going to be a bit newbie-ish.  I sure would like to know in advance why the light is on.  Is it possible for me to find out what the code is without going to the dealer?  Connect phone...computer... cables?  Arrgh.   

Offline Kiwi_Roy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10231
  • Location: New Westminster British Columbia, Canada
Re: V7III Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:20:35 PM »
My new V7iii check engine light comes on from time to time, it will stay on for a while then next time I go for a ride its out.
I have learnt to ignore it, its only a low priority warning.

I occasionally get the ABS light on also, a stop and restart always clears that.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since 1921

Offline Bigboy3000lbs

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 26
  • Location: Texas
Re: V7III Check Engine Light
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
Rent a trailer? An hour? In Texas that's called down the street

Also mine comes on a lot and its always for the o2 sensor and clears after riding it a few
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:24:14 PM by Bigboy3000lbs »

Offline Rich A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 3151
Re: V7III Check Engine Light
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
The light on my '16 V7 Special came on twice in the first thousand miles or so. I hooked up the bike to Guzzidiag, hasn't come on again.

Rich

Offline Kiwi_Roy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10231
  • Location: New Westminster British Columbia, Canada
Re: V7III Check Engine Light
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »
To put it in perspective mine probably came on 4 times in 7,000 km (4,300 miles)

Don't worry about it, ride it to the dealer if you must.

Start thinking about the first service, if the dealer wants to check the tappets he will want it over-night to cool down, that's why I decided to do my own, too hard to drop it off.
Of course if you have never done tappets you might be better off to let them do it.
I purchased the supplies off him, they were quite happy about that.
Kev M will back me up there.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:07:26 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since 1921

Offline Siamese

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
  • Location: Michigan
Re: V7III Check Engine Light
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »
So, what I'm hearing is, it's not an indicator of impending catastrophic engine failure.  That's always good to know.  I suppose the oil indicator light with the "!" would be a greater concern.  FWIW, I checked the oil and it's fine.  It starts and idles fine, but I didn't take it down the road.   

Looks like I'm going riding tomorrow, then.  And, not to the dealer. 

Thanks.   

 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here