Author Topic: Soda blaster  (Read 1686 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Soda blaster
« on: February 19, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and noticed a couple really cheap soda blasters.  I’m tempted to drop the $100 and see how well a cheapo blaster will clean a deep finned engine cover.  Has anyone tried the HF unit, or soda blasting in general on Guzzi engine cases?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:01:23 PM by dxhall »

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Soda blaster
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »
I have a HF Pressure tank soda blaster, works fine but not necessary. A $20 siphon type hose blaster and a 5 gallon pail of soda hooked to a strong air compressor is all you need. The soda is not recycled as the crystal fractures on impact creating the reaction that removes the oxidation. I never use the pressure tank anymore.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
Unless you're regularly doing big stuff (bigger than bikes....) I would recommend getting either a $50 SpeedBlaster or $20-ish HF equivalent. The Speediblaster is all plastic that breaks fairly easily.  the HF version is actually better made with metal components.  I have both and they work very well.  Sometimes I use them for regular abrasive jobs, but they are generally used for soda.

A normal problem with soda blasting is keeping the soda flowing.   It absorbs moisture and clumps more easily than sand or glass bead.  If you get one of those small opening filler pressure/air tanks models, clumps are a PIA to clear compared to the handheld Speediblaster style units.

If you work outside, the soda will kill off all the foliage it hits.  It turns black but doesn't seem to kill the actual plant(s).  Rinsing off helps.  And it you breathe the soda dust, your snot will run like water.

Soda blasting cleans aluminum pretty well. No aluminum is removed so no texture is created.  Polish may be dulled.  Things like shadows in the casting will remain.  Wash/Neutralize afterwards thoroughly afterwards, especially around dissimilar metal contacts, or you'll be very unhappy with what happens later.....

Have fun!
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
Unless you're regularly doing big stuff (bigger than bikes....) I would recommend getting either a $50 SpeedBlaster or $20-ish HF equivalent. The Speediblaster is all plastic that breaks fairly easily.  the HF version is actually better made with metal components.  I have both and they work very well.  Sometimes I use them for regular abrasive jobs, but they are generally used for soda.

You mean this type?

I bought one from Eastwood years ago, metal body. When I tried to use it for soda blasting, the media just flowed out the nozzle. Machined a smaller nozzle, that matched the i.d. of the one on my pressure tank soda blaster, and now it works acceptably well. 
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
You need to have plenty of CFM's and REALLY dry air. The guys around here that soda blast boat bottoms, their compressors have air drying systems the like I've never seen before.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
You mean this type?

I bought one from Eastwood years ago, metal body. When I tried to use it for soda blasting, the media just flowed out the nozzle. Machined a smaller nozzle, that matched the i.d. of the one on my pressure tank soda blaster, and now it works acceptably well.

Yup.  It and the $$ SpeedBlaster will drain soda from the hopper if pointed down, but I've run hundreds of lbs of soda through them blasting all kinds of stuff over the past nearly 20 yrs with no big problems.  I use them for blowing granite dust (think talc-sized mesh) for certain jobs in studio plus regular glass bead, black beauty, etc.  all have issues with drain if you don't close the media hopper valve and point the unit down.  I've had 2 or 3 Speediblasters bodies break but have not broken one of the metal body made in China ones yet.

No huge cfm compressors or fancy driers, but I expect using a larger unit and blasting steadily for longer periods of time would benefit from a significant driers.  Those systems were in the advertisements when we ordered the first small soda blaster (like this Speediblaster) at the motorcycle shop I worked at in VT.  Al turned me on to soda blasting around 2001.  I don't do it if it's raining wet but often the summer humidity here in SC is very high % and clumping isn't a huge problem.   When soda does clump, it's easy to put my finger over the nozzle and hit the trigger quickly.  It will push air up into the hopper, puff out the vent holes and usually clear the blockage.

I'm simply not a fan of any blasting equipment with small access/filler holes in the hopper.  Makes any service issues more difficult than it need to be.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »
Dennis, for the 850T rebuild I bought a siphon-feed soda blaster and 20 lb of soda for $15, at HF. Used my 5hp 20-gal compressor. The bag was enough to do the engine case, gearbox and wheels. Used another bag for the Triumph engine and wheels.  More details here: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96442.0

The gearbox case, which I bought used, required an extra scrub with solvent, and a reblast.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:04:22 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250; 1974 MGB
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »
You mean this type?

Nope, just a blow gun with a compressed air fitting and a second draw fitting on the bottom that a rubber hose attached to, put the rubber hoes end in a pail of soda and connect the air compressor. I have a descant air dryer in line with my compressed air supply line. HF sells the cheap siphon type air gun for around $20.00 complete with about four feet of rubber hose.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
Regarding moisture in the soda:  This may be a big issue at sea level, especially if you're working on boats in a humid marina. Here in Colorado I've had absolutely no trouble with soda clumping -- Just fill a plastic bucket with soda, stick in the siphon tube, and blast away. Summer humidity here is about 35%, compared to about 70% in most coastal cities.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250; 1974 MGB
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
Where to get the soda for blasting?  I have to believe its cheap as dirt as long as it isn't specific to blasting...
   I looked into walnut shells a bit, I have a herd (?) of squirrels cleaning them for me. Just have to make media out of them!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
Where to get the soda for blasting?  I have to believe its cheap as dirt as long as it isn't specific to blasting...
   I looked into walnut shells a bit, I have a herd (?) of squirrels cleaning them for me. Just have to make media out of them!

Harbor Freight.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »
The actual blasting grade is best but if you don't need 50lbs and/or are so cheap that you want save every penny...

- 50lb bags of agriculture feed supplement baking soda is a little cheaper than blasting grade.  It is not always fined as evenly, but usually flows fine. 

- small, medium or big boxes of plain household Arm & Hammer baking soda are cheapest at Dollar General around here, even cheaper than Walmart.  If I don't need to open a new 50lb bag to do something small or finish a job, this is where I go to get just enough.
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here