Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline GuzziNZ

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
What to do?
« on: June 13, 2020, 04:34:05 AM »
So my 850T camshaft is shot and going by the replies to my classified for a good second hand cam which amounts to zero I guess they are few and far between.
I don't want a P3 grind so is my only option to get it built up  and ground back to standard of maybe B10?

LesP

  • Guest
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 05:13:59 AM »
https://www.kelfordcams.com/

It is not just the lobes but the journals that need to be within spec, I sent the original camshaft from my Eldorado to Christchurch to be reground only for them to find the main thread was cracked so was junk.
I was lucky (I hope) to find a NOS cam on eBay so they are out there.

Surely Harper's in the USA would have one for your 850T.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:15:03 AM by LesP »

Offline GuzziNZ

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
Re: What to do?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 07:12:46 AM »
Getting a 403 when I try to view Harpers.

LesP

  • Guest
Re: What to do?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »
Getting a 403 when I try to view Harpers.

So did I but am doubtful they shut shop.
I am sure a fellow 'Guzzi enthusiast will phone and ask them if they have a NOS camshaft for you.

The problem with buying a used part is most people would not check the lobe heights let alone measure the journals and could end up buying a paper weight.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:38:11 AM by LesP »

Offline lorazepam

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 379
  • Almost ready for suspenders
  • Location: SW Wisconsin, 20 minutes from Lake Joy.
Re: What to do?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 08:23:00 AM »
Here are the phone numbers for Harper:
816-697-3411
800-752-9735
I just ordered from there this week, and the part is on the way. Might remind him that his website is down if you call.

Offline Murray

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3053
Re: What to do?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
Did you try Thunderbike Motorcycles in Perth? Why no P3?

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5584
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: What to do?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
I have one. let me take some pictures when I get home to see if you can use it. Shipping from Arizona might suck.

My suggestion - I put a megacycle X9 ( old Norris S Grind ) cam in my 850 T. It's mild with some nice grunt for the bottom end, and you don't have to mess with the heads. I would do it again.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:05:29 PM by Turin »
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline lorazepam

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 379
  • Almost ready for suspenders
  • Location: SW Wisconsin, 20 minutes from Lake Joy.
Re: What to do?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »
Harper's site is working again.

Offline GuzziNZ

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
Re: What to do?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
You are correct LesP, have already brought a "good" second hand cam that had ridges on the centre line of 3 lobes.

Not sure about the P3 for my old T,  have been in contact with a guy who said he would rather have stayed with a B10 but have no more feedback than that.

What in the consensus with regrinding a standard cam, any problems with the smaller diameter base circle and lobe hardness ?

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here