Author Topic: No dash lights, then engine died  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: No dash lights, then engine died
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2024, 04:45:13 PM »
Stator. Received the used parts today, and all works. Charges at 14.4v.

Old stator has discrepancy between the 3 leads. 1 combination read .7 ohms, 1 read .8 ohms, and 1 read 1 ohm. The "new" reads .8 between all combinations.

I never did flash the rotor as suggested (was going to be a next step.

This thread basically covered 3 issues, which still leaves it a mystery to me why the bike stalled and battery was completely dead when the rotor failed.

Synopsis: ran the bike hard on highway, on exit ramp at first light, bike stalled, dash lights all out (probably completely shorted or dead battery), next day, bike started, charging light out and not charging, replaced rotor, bike worked for almost a full riding day, stopped to get something to eat, battery charge light stayed on, no longer charging. Replaced stator, and all good now.

Thank you all the help and trouble-shooting along. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Side note, the used parts came with an other rotor (which I did not use) looked to be rewound, ohms on that were 4.4, mine and I believe typical read 3.3-ish. - what would a higher resistance rotor yield? I don't plan on using it, just curious.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2024, 05:29:29 PM »
Congratulations, always a good feeling when you finally solve a mystery charging problem.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2024, 05:25:42 AM »
When the rotor fails, there isn’t any additional needed volts added to your battery to replace what you’re using running down the road…..keeping it about at least 12.3-12.4 at rest..

no water flowing across the water wheel so to speak

All your electric usage (coils, lights, turn signals, radar, cb radio, coffee maker) while running starts to slowly deplete the battery lower and lower until boop! Your battery is below a usable limit and you have become an electrician on the side of the road….

There is a solution Ive heard, of making your way home by stopping at Walmert and replacing the newly purchased battery every stop…. :bike-037:

Glad you found the problem…next is a diode board…add another ground there to the transmission

Then a voltage regulator..adjustab le

Then the yellow 3 wire harness…

Then the brushes..

I can’t really complain about the system when Ive never ridden any other bikes that far…

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2024, 12:49:52 PM »
Time for an update, the saga somewhat continues - battery charges, but barely.

Symptoms:

Engine, Cold - Dash light Red for maybe a mile or so, will stay that way until I rev it up to say 4k+ rpm once, then it operates normally after that - still would prefer it to go off a little sooner, but I think that is the regulator, so I plan on swapping that with the older one as I think it made the light go off at a lower RPM in general - both the old and the new one are the EnDuraLast adjustable version - I could try to adjust it, but I can't get to it so I might as well put the old one back on once I take the tank off as it seemed to work better for my riding style and location (mostly stop and go) https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/vr-extadj.htm

I never did replace the diode board, but I also have an old good one (I think, tested OK) one on hand if needed. All connections are clean.

All seems to work, but that first part where I need to ride it a bit, then sort of make it kick in with a burst of throttle is weird - what would that be? What's really odd and what got me is that I rode it the other day quite a bit, never did give it the 'burst rev" for the dash light to go off (and start this odd charging cycle), and it killed the battery. Luckily I had the jump starter that I've been carrying around, got it started, then rode it a little harder, battery charged, back in business.

The behavior is pretty consistent so now I know how to work it reliably so to speak, but what would cause the delayed start on the charging system? Is that a symptom of a failing rectifier?

Wanted to also add that when I start it from say sitting overnight, I can rev it till the engine blows and it never makes the light go out and start the charging, seems the engine (or diode board? or Rectifier?) need to heat up a bit first before working.

I like to fix things the hard way and drag them on forever as you can see, plus, figured those involved in this were waiting for a new episode anyway :-)

Thoughts on symptoms of a failing diode board?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 12:57:44 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2024, 12:49:52 PM »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2024, 08:25:12 PM »
My "idiot" Light goes out at 2,000 RPM and is pretty much out unless I get stopped around 700 RPM.

Did you confirm that each brush spring is wound 3/4 turn from relaxed when seated on the brush and each brush is moving freely in its holder and there is no binding at the pigtail wire.

The brush spring can be installed in two positions 180° different. The system will function with either installation. It will be unreliable with 1/4 turn preload on the spring. It needs 3/4 turn on the spring.

Just pull the front cover and lift the spring off the front brush. Let it relax foreward of the holder and be sure it is 3/4 turn beyond "working" position. (Then assume the rear spring is the same). If you only get 1/4 turn to relaxed pull the spring and rotate it 180° to correct placement.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2024, 10:21:01 AM »
Thanks again, will try that this weekend. I never checked on the replacement stator when I got it.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2024, 02:50:38 PM »
Try a new diode board,is the one in there the original?

Offline testa_di_formaggio

• New Egg
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2024, 06:55:07 PM »
Throwing parts at a charging issue, and hoping something will stick, is using a shotgun to kill an ant. You will miss. The function of the various components is quantifiable, a volt/ohm meter is your friend. Find the issue. Measure twice, cut once. Also, there are parts changers are then there are mechanics. Grounds, grounds, grounds.

TF

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2024, 08:39:02 PM »
Many of the old alternators relied on the current through the charge light to provide the initial rotor magnetism, if the bulb was burnt out they might not start to charge.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2024, 10:15:21 AM »
Just wanted to follow-up on this, has been a while. All checked out OK with the springs, and all seems to be working normally it seems. Still would like the charging to be stronger, so I may upgrade the Alternator to something better some day - as far as the issue goes, best I can think of is that the old brushes needed to settle in with the new rotor - not sure, but all seems to be working now and it was a gradual improvement.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2024, 06:04:56 AM »
Stator. Received the used parts today, and all works. Charges at 14.4v.

Old stator has discrepancy between the 3 leads. 1 combination read .7 ohms, 1 read .8 ohms, and 1 read 1 ohm. The "new" reads .8 between all combinations.

I never did flash the rotor as suggested (was going to be a next step.

This thread basically covered 3 issues, which still leaves it a mystery to me why the bike stalled and battery was completely dead when the rotor failed.

Synopsis: ran the bike hard on highway, on exit ramp at first light, bike stalled, dash lights all out (probably completely shorted or dead battery), next day, bike started, charging light out and not charging, replaced rotor, bike worked for almost a full riding day, stopped to get something to eat, battery charge light stayed on, no longer charging. Replaced stator, and all good now.

Thank you all the help and trouble-shooting along. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Side note, the used parts came with an other rotor (which I did not use) looked to be rewound, ohms on that were 4.4, mine and I believe typical read 3.3-ish. - what would a higher resistance rotor yield? I don't plan on using it, just curious.

Glad you are all sorted. This was a good thread and troubleshooting for others in the future.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here