Author Topic: 5-Speed Shift Pawl Adjuster Screw  (Read 646 times)

Offline Missionguzzi

• New Egg
5-Speed Shift Pawl Adjuster Screw
« on: August 24, 2024, 02:51:06 PM »
Hi, folks.  Rebuilding an old 5-speed tranny from an 850-T.  Discovered that the shift pawl adjuster screw is completely missing, and was just replaced with a plug.  The thread appears to be 12 X 1.25mm.  I'm trying to either find a replacement for the entire pawl adjuster screw and locking nut, or to find the correct dimensions (lengths) of the threaded section and the "eccentric" section which is used to adjust the shift pawl.  All ideas and recommendations are welcome, ESPECIALLY if you have one of these you want to get rid of.  Thanks in advance for your help.  See pics of the existing rear transmission cover.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 5-Speed Shift Pawl Adjuster Screw
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 03:18:35 PM »
Mark Etheridge, Moto Guzzi Classics, (562) 986-0070.   

I kinda wonder why the adjuster was removed?  Oh well, good luck!

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '08 Wing

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 04:07:45 PM »
I have several. Responded to your email.
Charlie

Offline Missionguzzi

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 06:00:48 PM »
Thanks to Charlie M, already replied off-line.
As to why the adjuster screw was removed, no telling.  When I opened the rear cover, I could see that it had never been opened before.  The shift-return spring was just hanging loose, and the shift pawl was swinging around pretty much freely.  There had been some sort of external contraption on the shifter arm, maybe to compensate for the missing adjuster and non-functioning spring.  My GUESS is that some previous owner removed the pawl adjuster completely, the shift-return spring slipped out of position, and he didn't want to open the rear cover, so tried to improvise to make it work.  The gears and shafts all operate fine, and when it was open I could shift cleanly between the gears by moving the shift drum through its range.
Hopefully it goes together well and can get back into use.
Thanks for your responses.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 11:30:26 PM »
There had been some sort of external contraption on the shifter arm, maybe to compensate for the missing adjuster and non-functioning spring.

Do you  have any pictures or parts of this "external contraption"?
Back in the 70's and 80's there were lots of return spring failures.  A broken spring meant the box had to come apart to retrieve the pieces.  The new replacement was no more reliable.  Some clever guy invented and external spring system which used two very strong 'feeler gauge' blades to serve as the spring function for the shift lever.  Perhaps that was "Cycle Innovations"????  I had installed one on my 73 Eldorado.  Not sure where that went.  If someone has very old copies of the MGNOC news you might find adverts for this device.  In addition to this external shift spring gadget, they also produced a sump spacer and an internal kit to drop the oil pickup to the bottom of the sump.  Good engineering.  I had one of those as well.  The spring device was a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution but it worked when stock springs were unreliable.  You have to be old to remember.  :-(

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here