Author Topic: What’s the deal on bike sales?!  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What’s the deal on bike sales?!
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2024, 02:47:22 PM »
Another misconception is age equals value. Just because something is old does not mean its valuable.
In case you've forgotten, Jay Leno is a comedian.  "It's a joke, son!"  :rolleyes:  The pun being if you wait long enough, almost anything will be worth more than it was at some point.  Granted, with most Moto Guzzi's you might have to wait several lifetimes. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 02:51:21 PM by Motormike »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2024, 03:21:07 PM »
In case you've forgotten, Jay Leno is a comedian.  "It's a joke, son!"  :rolleyes:  The pun being if you wait long enough, almost anything will be worth more than it was at some point.  Granted, with most Moto Guzzi's you might have to wait several lifetimes.

I absolutely understand it's a joke, but look around, son! No shortage of people asking the moon and stars for their classic and/or antique ULM just because its old. A few years back my neighbor was telling me all about his 400cc Honda that has been sitting in the back of his garage for decades and telling me these things bring big money. I think he was upset that I did not start drooling or offer to remortgage my house for the opportunity to become the owner of his bike.

The rocks in my back yard are millions of years old and just as worthless today as they were when they were created 25 million years ago.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200 AKA Honda Trail 125 killer
2008 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2024, 06:12:05 PM »
I have a 2018 Husky 701 listed for sale and after 3 weeks not even one inquiry. I believe it is a bike with some demand in Idaho with all the dirt roads and ADV groups we have here. But it would not be the first time I was wrong. It really comes down to supply and demand. Good supply with low demand. :(
I also believe that many peoples discretionary income for toys has dried up. https://mises.org/power-market/misery-index-recession-levels
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2024, 07:03:48 PM »
i just sent a couple days visiting my daughter at her aprt in West Town neighborhood of Chicago, in and around OldTown and other desirable neighborhoods.  At least around those areas, if your want to be int the cool zone, you were riding a retro Triumph (mostly) and to a lesser extent Royal Enfield.  Lot's of guys, dressed like it was 1968 traveling around in groups of 4 or 5.   Didn't see much of anything else, but for the random rat bike, lots of scoters.   But, at least in Chicago, the guys with money for the good stuff, are buying Triumph retro's and similar.  I suspect there are is representation of v7s, as it just fits.  Certainly a different market than where I live, where most guys with the money to buy a new bike are going Asian.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2024, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2024, 05:25:38 PM »
Most people in the US have very little discretionary income, the average is only a couple of hundred dollars a month.  Combine that with historically high interest rates to borrow money.

"Historically high interest rates" just means you're either VERY young, or have a short memory.

Offline Dr. Enzo Toma

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2024, 06:01:32 PM »
Or it means the past 15 or so years, which have largely dictated which motorcycles have been made and sold in that time which factored into the current market.

Offline Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2024, 06:29:17 PM »
If people want to ride, and borrowing money costs more, you'd think affordable used bikes would be selling like hotcakes.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2024, 09:33:32 PM »
I enjoy taking the slower and more scenic route, and don't think I can ride anywhere on the little bike without smiling.

That is how I feel about the Van Van 200.  I might not ride the most miles on it, but I definitely spend a lot of hours on it. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2015 Yamaha SR400
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline TPSimmons

• New Egg
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2024, 07:23:10 PM »
Just ride and don’t worry about it. Nobody governed by common sense would ever buy a motorcycle just ask your mother.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2024, 04:05:12 PM »
"Historically high interest rates" just means you're either VERY young, or have a short memory.
Yep.  I remember telling people back in the early 80's I'd just gotten a 7% 30 year fixed on my first home.  They all freaked out at how LOW my rate was! (It was a buydown for first time buyers.)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2024, 09:20:38 AM »
Yep.  I remember telling people back in the early 80's I'd just gotten a 7% 30 year fixed on my first home.  They all freaked out at how LOW my rate was! (It was a buydown for first time buyers.)

1978 my mom was all happy and celebrating because she had locked in a 10% fixed on a home purchase. 

Oh, and remember "assumable loans"? 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2024, 09:04:04 AM »
I've sold two bikes in the last week - one planned and one "surprise".

I advertised the '90 Cal III FF I rode out to the Oregon coast and back this Summer, very little interest for about a week. Then, a gentleman who had been following the build thread on my business Facebook page decided to buy it. Full asking price, no dickering. Came the whole way from Arkansas to get it.

Last Thursday I sold the Suzuki DR200SE that I've had less than a year and have only had on the road for a month. A guy traveling the US in his van wanted a bike to haul on a rear carrier and the DR was just perfect for him. Sold it for more than market value.

Only one more to go ('77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada) and I already have a buyer lined up.  :azn:
Charlie

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2024, 10:42:00 AM »
A lot of bikes seem to have sold for silly money in the past few years at auction,
but the market appears to be correcting itself. Broughs, Vincents, CBXs, Crockers,
and stuff like that will always hold their value, but a lot of lesser brands/models
will not. We're seeing that adjustment to reality now. Even some Harleys are
becoming fairly reasonable.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2024, 11:53:48 AM »
I too ended up selling another bike a couple weeks ago. I listed it late afternoon, went to my moms for supper and when I got home I had a buyer and two others lined up. I got full asking price (never even an mention would I take less) + a bottle of Tito's and an extra $20 so I could buy a case of beer. In all fairness I did list at XYZ price + a bottle of Tito's and a case of beer.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2024, 08:09:55 PM »
I've sold two bikes in the last week - one planned and one "surprise".

I advertised the '90 Cal III FF I rode out to the Oregon coast and back this Summer, very little interest for about a week. Then, a gentleman who had been following the build thread on my business Facebook page decided to buy it. Full asking price, no dickering. Came the whole way from Arkansas to get it.

Last Thursday I sold the Suzuki DR200SE that I've had less than a year and have only had on the road for a month. A guy traveling the US in his van wanted a bike to haul on a rear carrier and the DR was just perfect for him. Sold it for more than market value.

Only one more to go ('77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada) and I already have a buyer lined up.  :azn:

Quit showing off  :bow:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2024, 03:27:45 AM »
It’s an “out there notion”, but if you want to avoid the pitfalls of buying and selling….?
Just get the bike you want, ride it (a lot), clean it (a bit), service it (regularly), and don’t just try to dump it when you’re sick of it and the next great thing comes along…
Next thing you know, you have 220,000 km on it and an encyclopaedia of memories that you cannot buy…
Simples…!
My bike is “worth” 25% of what I paid for it and it’s “value” 300% more.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2024, 03:07:22 PM »
It’s an “out there notion”, but if you want to avoid the pitfalls of buying and selling….?
Just get the bike you want, ride it (a lot), clean it (a bit), service it (regularly), and don’t just try to dump it when you’re sick of it and the next great thing comes along…
Next thing you know, you have 220,000 km on it and an encyclopaedia of memories that you cannot buy…
Simples…!
My bike is “worth” 25% of what I paid for it and it’s “value” 300% more.

While I’ve always bought the bikes I wanted I often did not buy them to keep for long term use/ownership. I’ve bought bike to do certain rides and once the ride was over I sold the bike. I’ve bought other bike with no intention of riding, I just wanted components off them like high end aftermarket suspensions, seats, windscreens and panniers to use on my other bikes then sold off the bike in closer to stock trim. I’ve bought bikes on a whim and I’ve bought them after careful study. What I don’t do is lie to myself anymore and say this is my forever bike. Turns out everything is for sale. Last bike I bought I put zero miles on it, owned it for 6 days and decided it wasn’t what I wanted.

I’ll never be the guy to put 100k or probably even 50k on a single bike as I’ll get tired of it long before I reach that mileage. I bought a new 2024 a few months ago and really thought about getting the 4 year additional warranty then realized if I have this bike for 3 years or 36,000 miles provided by the factory warranty it’ll be a miracle.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2024, 03:34:35 PM »
Well, just to show you it could always be worse, here's someone that followed Huzo's advice:  Over on the BMW K1600 site (another site I follow, even though I no longer own a K1600) one gentleman wanted to trade his very high milage 2012 K1600 GTL (high as in 174,000  :shocked:) Trading it in on a brand new K1600GT, the dealer gave him $500 for his bike.  Ouch!  As I said, the body panels are worth more than that!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 03:37:28 PM by Motormike »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2024, 04:07:25 PM »
Well, just to show you it could always be worse, here's someone that followed Huzo's advice:  Over on the BMW K1600 site (another site I follow, even though I no longer own a K1600) one gentleman wanted to trade his very high milage 2012 K1600 GTL (high as in 174,000  :shocked:) Trading it in on a brand new K1600GT, the dealer gave him $500 for his bike.  Ouch!  As I said, the body panels are worth more than that!

That is $500 more than I’d give someone for a bike with 174,000 miles on it.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2024, 04:24:12 PM »
I just looked at a well cared for European sport touring bike. It was fully serviced by it long time, 70 year old owner. Garaged, maintained, obviously never dropped and in extremely good nick. If I didn’t know that it was 21 years old, I would have guessed it wa a 2 year old machine. MSRP, was $13000. He advertised it for $2100 OBO, and only got a few calls, but no sale in September. It’s a relatively rare, full liter sport tourer, that nobody has room for.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2024, 05:56:53 PM »
I just looked at a well cared for European sport touring bike. It was fully serviced by it long time, 70 year old owner. Garaged, maintained, obviously never dropped and in extremely good nick. If I didn’t know that it was 21 years old, I would have guessed it wa a 2 year old machine. MSRP, was $13000. He advertised it for $2100 OBO, and only got a few calls, but no sale in September. It’s a relatively rare, full liter sport tourer, that nobody has room for.

What and where is this "European sport touring bike"?  :wink:
Charlie

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2024, 05:58:07 PM »
I have been guilty of buying a bike just for that “rush” of initial ownership.
I watched an Al Pacino movie once called “Two For the Money…”, as a gamblaholic he explained that the real excitement when playing dice was not when you won, that was an expectation you held when you stepped up to the table.
It was as the dice was tumbling that you felt that rush.
Same here.
The smell of the dealership, the expectation of leaving with a new relationship/bike and the power of the purchase can be intoxicating. We are (mostly) males, we are wired as such.

I bought my MV Agusta F4 in just such a state….( but I did keep,it for 2 years and 20,000 km).
That hit of satisfaction of “hunting and taking home” can become addictive..(a metaphor if ever there was..).

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2024, 06:00:09 PM »
What and where is this "European sport touring bike"?  :wink:
I’ll wager it’s a Ducati 1000 DS or an ST 2/3 or 4
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 06:01:34 PM by Huzo »

NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here