Author Topic: Gravel riding technique  (Read 3111 times)

Offline YellowDuck

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Location: Canada
Re: Gravel riding technique
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2026, 09:03:28 AM »
This ^^^

Keep the bike vertical, hang off to the inside, clamping tank with outside leg. Stay in the seat.  Steer the bike like a car (steering, no counter steering).
This works because the front wheel stays vertical vs. leaned into the turn as on pavement.  When the front is vertical, it won't tuck, avoiding to a lowside or worse.  It might slide, but it won't tuck.  Yeah, turnoff traction control too.

I use the front brake going into the turn with above technique.  That loads the front tire which adds traction, allowing one to "steer" as needed. It also gives data point on how much traction is available to the front going in, and allows reducing speed with the front brake as needed.

Start rolling on past the slowest part of the turn, let the rear come around a bit to finish the turn.

Pushing a big bike down going in is asking for a front tuck with a heavy street bike on street tires.  Can do that with a light 250 on knobs (I do) but can't recommend it, especially for negative camber left turns.

So basically, do the opposite of what everyone else in this thread, and every instructional video I have watched, has advised?

You seem to have a lot of experience, but some of what you have said I already know does not work for me, especially the no countersteering bit.  I found myself doing that because I was going so slow, and it definitely did not get the bike pointed where I wanted it to go.  In fact, the feeling reminded me of my first ride as a teenager on a road bike.  I new nothing of countersteering, and ended up riding off the road into a ditch at the first intersection.  In this recent attempt to learn gravel, countersteering the bike with my body upright and letting the bike lean under me was the one thing that started to give me some control in the corners on loose gravel.

Offline MG_rider

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 34
  • Location: NW Oregon/Baja Sur
Re: Gravel riding technique
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2026, 10:45:10 AM »
Yellow,
Good to see you are trying different stuff on gravel and finding what works for you.  I figured the stuff I posted would look contrary to some, it works for me on loose gravel logging roads, 2 minus and 3 minus gravel with negative camber that is sometimes just hard to even walk on without twisting an ankle.

Working every little bit of available camber in the road rut helps a lot too.  But when that goes away I revert to riding like driving a car for the really loose sections.

See you down the loose gravel road some day!

Yeah, I have a lot of experience.  Experience is what you get 4 seconds after you needed it!
'23 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....
Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet.

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3229
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Gravel riding technique
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2026, 06:43:42 PM »

I'm withholding final judgement on the best gravel road riding technique until we get both a molecular biologist and a quantum mechanic to express their opinions.....
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Online frozengoose

  • To eaches his onus...
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • Posts: 384
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
Re: Gravel riding technique
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2026, 10:15:20 PM »
I'm withholding final judgement on the best gravel road riding technique until we get both a molecular biologist and a quantum mechanic to express their opinions.....

I live on a gravel road and driveway, which turn to slimy mud when it rains. I don't even think about it much, other than to keep the throttle down a bit when it's wet. Like anything, it's all relative to what you're used to riding on.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here