Author Topic: v700 sleeve-nut Unobtainium?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Dadseldo

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 3
v700 sleeve-nut Unobtainium?
« on: September 01, 2026, 12:00:22 AM »
I've got a '73 Eldorado I'm working on that the previous owner never got to putting back together. Heads need to be torqued down but one of the top sleeve-nuts has got totally jacked up threads and when I took it off the whole stud came with it. After doing some research I've learned that the heads are from a v700 and don't have the normal 10 mil Allen sleeve nuts. Instead it's got 17 mil nuts that are much longer and have an o-ring on them to double as a plug for the rocker box. I can't find a replacement anywhere.
Anyone know where I can find one? Or should I just make something else work? I've got a '72 Eldorado parts bike that I could rob the nuts from, but then I need to find another way to plug up the rocker box.

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3223
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: v700 sleeve-nut Unobtainium?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2026, 07:55:42 AM »

If you post a picture, that would be helpful.

I would start my search with industrial fastener supply companies.

1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15170
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: v700 sleeve-nut Unobtainium?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2026, 08:26:12 AM »
You should really use the correct heads from the parts bike. V700 heads have smaller valves, the intake port is too large and requires the factory reducer, and then there's those weird bolts/nuts with o-rings on them that leak.
Charlie

Offline Dadseldo

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: v700 sleeve-nut Unobtainium?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2026, 07:47:35 PM »
You should really use the correct heads from the parts bike. V700 heads have smaller valves, the intake port is too large and requires the factory reducer, and then there's those weird bolts/nuts with o-rings on them that leak.
Yes I think you’re right. The parts bike has a good number of miles on it. Is there anything I should check or do before swapping the heads over?

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15170
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: v700 sleeve-nut Unobtainium?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2026, 08:22:48 PM »
Yes I think you’re right. The parts bike has a good number of miles on it. Is there anything I should check or do before swapping the heads over?

I would definitely check the fit of the valves in the guides, condition of the valve faces and seats.
Charlie


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here