Author Topic: Said goodbye to my Indian  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

  • Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3803
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
  • Location: Mountain, Missouri
Said goodbye to my Indian
« on: September 16, 2026, 07:51:31 PM »
After 40K+ trouble free miles, I sold my Indian Challenger. It was a great bike, but ever since I inherited the 2007 Goldwing from my uncle, I soon found out that for a 19 year old motorcycle, it was so much better in so many ways than the 6 year old Indian.

Now, I'll just patiently wait until Moto Guzzi builds a big 'ol big block touring rig..."patiently" being the keyword. Until then, I reckon this Wing will still be going strong. I mean, it only has 85K on it. This bike is that good.


Owner, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1996)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Past Guzzi's: 72 Eldo, 73 Eldo, 98 EV, 2000 Quota, 76 T3, 84 V65C, 98 Centauro,  09 Stelvio, 12 Stelvio, 17 MGX21

Online TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1267
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2026, 10:02:19 PM »
There are a few beautiful 1400’s for sale.

Just sayin.

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6313
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2026, 10:20:51 PM »
I have my doubts that MG will ever build a big touring bike again🤔

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3242
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2026, 06:19:32 AM »
After 40K+ trouble free miles, I sold my Indian Challenger. It was a great bike, but ever since I inherited the 2007 Goldwing from my uncle, I soon found out that for a 19 year old motorcycle, it was so much better in so many ways than the 6 year old Indian.

Now, I'll just patiently wait until Moto Guzzi builds a big 'ol big block touring rig..."patiently" being the keyword. Until then, I reckon this Wing will still be going strong. I mean, it only has 85K on it. This bike is that good.




I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Goldwing Luap.  It is difficult to find anyone who has had trouble with their Goldwings.

Since you obviously know how to take care of a motorcycle, I expect you will get at least 500,000 miles out of that bike.
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3242
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2026, 06:27:39 AM »
I have my doubts that MG will ever build a big touring bike again🤔

I suspect you are correct Dan.  I read on this forum that Moto Guzzi only sells 6,000 bikes per year.  If true, would the market for a big Moto Guzzi touring bike ever exceed 1,000 bikes per year?

I would expect that any new Moto Guzzi models will rebadged bikes made by other OEM's.

This is the only Moto Guzzi forum I have ever visited.  While a great group of people, who are very knowledgeable & entertaining, the number of complaints about Moto Guzzi, it's dealers, & mechanics voiced here, does not make WildGuzzi a great sales site for the brand.

I suspect that Piaggio has already figured out that Moto Guzzi's destiny is to always be a niche brand of motorcycle.  Perhaps like Harley, the new factory/museum is evidence they realize there is a sizable chunk of money to be made from the trademark itself, rather than from manufacturing.

Kinda like Disney Land as some on this site have pointed out.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2026, 06:37:39 AM by SIR REAL ED »
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline kballowe

  • - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3104
  • Location: Villa Ridge, Missouri
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2026, 06:51:56 AM »
Luap - what are you going to replace that Indian with ?  It seems to me that your bike inventory is down, and needs to be replenished.

Don't worry.  If you start to have withdrawals then I can drop you off a loaner until you decide.

 :bike-037:
 :bike-037:
 :bike-037:

Offline Luap McKeever

  • Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3803
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
  • Location: Mountain, Missouri
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2026, 09:08:31 AM »
Luap - what are you going to replace that Indian with ?  It seems to me that your bike inventory is down, and needs to be replenished.

Don't worry.  If you start to have withdrawals then I can drop you off a loaner until you decide.

 :bike-037:
 :bike-037:
 :bike-037:

not replacing it with anything at all. The Goldwing does everything the Challenger did, and much more easily and comfortable to boot. :boozing:
Owner, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1996)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Past Guzzi's: 72 Eldo, 73 Eldo, 98 EV, 2000 Quota, 76 T3, 84 V65C, 98 Centauro,  09 Stelvio, 12 Stelvio, 17 MGX21

Online MikeP996

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 278
  • Location: UK/USA
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2026, 10:45:50 AM »
Rocket 3 might be a fun experience!!!  :)
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special (UK)
1976 Honda CB400F (UK)
2017 BMW R1200RS (TX)
'73 Norton Commando (Mexico
2015 BMW R9T (Mexico)
(Wife's bikes:
2015 Ducati Diavel (TX)
2019 Honda Africa Twin  (Mexico)
2021 Honda NC750  (UK)

Offline Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3604
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2026, 11:03:23 AM »
After 40K+ trouble free miles, I sold my Indian Challenger. It was a great bike, but ever since I inherited the 2007 Goldwing from my uncle, I soon found out that for a 19 year old motorcycle, it was so much better in so many ways than the 6 year old Indian.

Now, I'll just patiently wait until Moto Guzzi builds a big 'ol big block touring rig..."patiently" being the keyword. Until then, I reckon this Wing will still be going strong. I mean, it only has 85K on it. This bike is that good.




Gold Wings really are hard to beat.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4211
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2026, 01:15:22 PM »
Indeed they are…that’s why I added a 2021 Goldwing Bagger to the fleet a few years ago…amazing bike!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline kballowe

  • - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3104
  • Location: Villa Ridge, Missouri
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2026, 03:34:25 PM »
not replacing it with anything at all. The Goldwing does everything the Challenger did, and much more easily and comfortable to boot. :boozing:

Yes, but MORE MOTORCYCLES is better !!!

Say it !

 :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037:



« Last Edit: September 17, 2026, 03:40:13 PM by kballowe »

Offline Luap McKeever

  • Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3803
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
  • Location: Mountain, Missouri
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2026, 07:02:43 AM »
Yes, but MORE MOTORCYCLES is better !!!

Say it !

 :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037:




Good point. I've always digged the Griso's so you just never know. That’s a niche I don’t have covered right now. If the right one were to pop up, I would be inclined to snag it.
Owner, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1996)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Past Guzzi's: 72 Eldo, 73 Eldo, 98 EV, 2000 Quota, 76 T3, 84 V65C, 98 Centauro,  09 Stelvio, 12 Stelvio, 17 MGX21

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1450
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2026, 08:25:42 AM »
Gold Wings are very versatile https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PR46Lyv91yY
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4211
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2026, 09:59:56 AM »




Long distance days in full comfort....hard to beat the Goldwing!  The Norge is great for touring, but the Goldwing is another level entirely!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Bisbee

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 218
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2026, 12:09:49 PM »
Everyone seems to love their Goldwing. I am , though, intimidated by the size, weight and massiveness of the creature. Perhaps a test ride could change that. And maybe I am just not enough of a manly man to handle it.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Online PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3768
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2026, 12:29:39 PM »
Our 2004 Goldwing served us well. I traded it two years ago for my V85 after my wife was unable to ride. It was my two up bike for the long haul but I rarely rode it alone. Don’t miss it too much but it was great in the cold weather for sure, one year we left for Bike Week while it was snowing and I survived.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 18, 2026, 12:30:35 PM by PeteS »

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5581
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2026, 01:03:03 PM »
Does anybody else build anything that competes with the GW besides HD Indian and BMW?
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1267
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2026, 01:22:30 PM »
No, no they don’t. Frankly, the H-D tourer sort of competes with the Wing in comfort for rider and passenger plus ergonomics. But no BMW does.

Offline PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4211
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2026, 02:20:56 PM »
The BMW K1600 GT or GTL would be the closest and worthy competitor of the Goldwing...they are frequently compared in side by side tests.

Both are very comfortable tourers...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online SemperVee

  • My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1219
  • USMC Retired
  • Location: Seattle - ish
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2026, 02:32:19 PM »
 Have a love hate relationship with my Goldwings... I would go into a turn and a fraction of a second later the Goldwing dense tonnage would follow me!   Truly.  From the Original GL1000 with kickstart in 1977  I got new for $2800 out the door in SoCal and outfitted iwth Kerker exhaust and Lester mag wheels and Windjammer fairing to the massive GL1800 I took for a ride before getting my K1200LT BMW. *NOW that was a massive sport bike in touring costume. 
56 years of Street Riding - All Brands
2007 MG Norge - VroomHilda
2003 Cali Hydro EV
2012 Victory CCT
2007 MG RED Norge
14 Harleys 2 VStrom 1000's
2005 BMW K1200LT, 81 R100RT, 73R/75/5

USMC Retired - Rider since 1973 - La Dolce Vita
Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of Riders since 1921

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14344
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2026, 02:56:31 PM »
No, no they don’t. Frankly, the H-D tourer sort of competes with the Wing in comfort for rider and passenger plus ergonomics. But no BMW does.
Isn’t that 1600 six a contender ?

Offline PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4211
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2026, 03:03:54 PM »
Isn’t that 1600 six a contender ?

That's what I posted above Huzo...the K1600 GT or GTL are contenders to the Goldwing...see a couple posts up.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4211
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2026, 03:05:05 PM »
Have a love hate relationship with my Goldwings... I would go into a turn and a fraction of a second later the Goldwing dense tonnage would follow me!   Truly.  From the Original GL1000 with kickstart in 1977  I got new for $2800 out the door in SoCal and outfitted iwth Kerker exhaust and Lester mag wheels and Windjammer fairing to the massive GL1800 I took for a ride before getting my K1200LT BMW. *NOW that was a massive sport bike in touring costume.

They are not as flickable as the Norge, the newer ones (2018+) are significantly lighter than prior generations, but you still have to be very conscious about carrying that weight into the corner much more so than the Guzzi's, plus they scrape a lot sooner on the footpegs...but once you figure it out, they are very enjoyable even in the twisties.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3768
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2026, 03:16:10 PM »
They are not as flickable as the Norge, the newer ones (2018+) are significantly lighter than prior generations, but you still have to be very conscious about carrying that weight into the corner much more so than the Guzzi's, plus they scrape a lot sooner on the footpegs...but once you figure it out, they are very enjoyable even in the twisties.

I upgraded the suspension on my 2004. Traction Dynamics on the back, Racetech Emulators in the front. Made a huge difference in handling and no more scraping hard parts in the turns.
Installing the rear shock also involves refilling the oil reservoir for the electric preload. Before there was no movement below 6 out of ten. After refilling movement would start right at the bottom. Even if you don’t swap the shock, best check to see that the oil reservoir is full.

Pete

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14344
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2026, 03:54:37 PM »
That's what I posted above Huzo...the K1600 GT or GTL are contenders to the Goldwing...see a couple posts up.
Sorry Paul.

Online Moparnut72

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3363
  • Location: Quincy California
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2026, 07:34:42 PM »
My son just visited for a week with his 1600 Beemer. What a monster. I was given the option to ride it. No thanks. All I had to do was drop it and do $1,000 or more in damage, probably a lot more. I told him if he dropped it the insurance company might even total it. No crash bars and it didn't look like there was even a place to attach them.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
Current Bike:
2026 V7 850 Special
1976 T3 disaster

Taking new riders for a spin:
2023 V100 Navale
2019 V7lll Special
2016 Audace
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6313
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2026, 08:37:29 PM »
Gold Wings really are hard to beat.
Yep and it really does not matter what year model you’re talking about as they all have been great motorcycles.

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3242
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2026, 07:46:53 AM »
My son just visited for a week with his 1600 Beemer. What a monster. I was given the option to ride it. No thanks. All I had to do was drop it and do $1,000 or more in damage, probably a lot more. I told him if he dropped it the insurance company might even total it. No crash bars and it didn't look like there was even a place to attach them.
kk

Very true.  More than a few bikes get totaled in slow speed crashes.

One of my friends had his Ducati fall off the side stand at zero mph, the result was $3,000 in damage!!!  If you have ever priced out a stock muffler, you can understand the popularity of aftermarket exhaust systems.

A friend and I stopped into a small restaurant for lunch one day.  Very gusty winds.  We were riding a DR650 & a DRZ400.  I commented "It doesn't matter how we park these bikes.  It will be a miracle if they don't blow over while we are eating lunch."

Sure enough, both were on the ground when we came out.  No damage.

1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6313
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2026, 08:48:22 AM »
Everyone seems to love their Goldwing. I am , though, intimidated by the size, weight and massiveness of the creature. Perhaps a test ride could change that. And maybe I am just not enough of a manly man to handle it.
Give one a test ride someday. You will be amazed how nimble and light the bike actually feels. The center of gravity on these bikes is very low and you simply do not feel the weight unless you get it extremely off-balance.
That being said, they are a little difficult if you try to move them around in your garage or basement by pushing them
Personally, when I have to move a large bike like that and I can find area, I simply sit on the seat, started up and use the bikes on power to move it around.

Online TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1267
Re: Said goodbye to my Indian
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2026, 09:08:48 AM »
I'd love to see a Honda Goldwing 'bagger' version with hard saddlebags and a windshield.

Forgo some of the fancy electronics but keep things bluetooth, reverse, cruise control and anti lock brakes. IMHO, it would be a great seller. As in 'Take My Money' popular. The full touring version for those who want it and the Bagger version for the rest of us.

Sort of like a very updated Honda Valkyrie Tourer from years back.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here