Author Topic: MG Le Mans IV - Reconstruction  (Read 43895 times)

lemans1000

Re: MG Le Mans IV - Reconstruction
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
Another question; I usually put 3 liters of engine oil in my Guzzi. Engine has and oil pan spacer (extension). Am I doing well so far with 3 liters or wrong?

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
Three liters of oil is proper. The spacer is to increase the air volume in the sump, not to increase oil capacity. This was done to reduce oil blow-by out the breather. Earlier versions of the engine without the sump spacer could generate high pressure within the crankcase, enough to cause excess oil blowing out the breather.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

lemans1000

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
Thank you, LeRoy.

Rob Morton

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2014, 01:22:31 AM »
"Earlier versions of the engine without the sump spacer could generate high pressure within the crankcase, enough to cause excess oil blowing out the breather."

Earlier versions of this size of engine without the sump spacer could generate high pressure within the crankcase, enough to cause excess oil blowing out the breather.

IMHO the earlier smaller capacity typically 700/750cc don't require the spacer because they are less stressed and you don't get the build up of pressure with the smaller diameter pistons pumping up and down, so less crankcase pressure, if that makes sense?
You can still have oil blowing out of breather if you overfill the crankcase with oil, even with the 700cc engine.

:)

Rob

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2014, 01:22:31 AM »

lemans1000

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »
Today I received an interesting call...a man called me and offered me the front and rear wheel from MG California Aluminium.. ;D and a very interesting price...I was wondering if the rear wheel from Cali Alu fits on my Guzzi's rear drive? Front wheel should match, but I will have to buy other brake calipers and front master cil.

Never ending story...... ;D

lemans1000

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2014, 06:30:30 AM »
Console is finally cut  ;D
I only have to cut opening for instruments and some final touches (holes for LED's, polishing...)

And I managed to make mounts for the rear hazard lights:

Rob Morton

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2014, 02:07:06 AM »
"Front wheel should match, but I will have to buy other brake calipers and front master cil."

Couldn't you sell on the bits you don't need here or on ebay?
Callipers would be easy to offload?
And front master cylinder to someone who don't change their fluid too often.  :beat_horse

:)

Rob

lemans1000

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014, 02:23:42 AM »
Yes Rob, I could sell bits that I don't need, but I'm still in process of thinking whether to buy this spoked wheels or not...At the moment, I'd be happy to finish the bike and finally enjoy...On the other hand, I've already spent a good deal of money on this bike...so I really don't need spoked wheels in this moment...

Rob Morton

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2014, 02:35:27 AM »
Can understand how you just want to ride it, after all your effort and expense because that's what it's for.  ;-T

Need to respray my tank and side boxes but know it means, the bike will be off the road for at least 2 weeks.  :-\
But respraying should be done in drier warmer weather. Precisely the weather you want to ride.

The maintenance, riding conundrum?

:D

Rob

lemans1000

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2014, 04:13:05 AM »
Some more updates on instrument console; everything is done, except bending and some more polishing. This will be done today.

Sorry, images were made with my phone, so they are not top quality...

And as it usually happens...a little problem....due to the thickness of the material, instrument cups are to deep...will need to be shortened by about 5-7mm.. ;D

All in all, I am satisfied...

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
You are doing superb.  For a reasonable price I got the MG Cycle console and installed recently.  Keep up the nice work!
Kevin

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

lemans1000

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
That white rev counter is on my wishlist  ;-T

Now I'm thinking to put my ignition switch somewhere else, rather that on the inst. console...Why? The thread that holds ignition swich is 8mm...my console is made out of 6mm material...there is only 2mm thread, not enough to hold the swich...Torture never stops.. ;D

Either that or reinvent the wheel and possibly destroy what I have made so far..​​...

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Some more updates on instrument console; everything is done, except bending and some more polishing. This will be done today.

Sorry, images were made with my phone, so they are not top quality...

And as it usually happens...a little problem....due to the thickness of the material, instrument cups are to deep...will need to be shortened by about 5-7mm.. ;D

All in all, I am satisfied...

That's beautiful...well done.

Maybe counter sink the ignition key hole on the back side of panel 2mm ?
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

lemans1000

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Maybe counter sink the ignition key hole on the back side of panel 2mm ?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
Hi LeMans 1000, I was curious if that is the same tank you had before the restoration.  That gold green is classic and looks smooth with the red.   Is that a Lemans4 tank that has been hammered in?  Thanks buddy, and thanks for this thread!

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean

CNC machine or router out the backside of the ignition key hole depth by 2mm. Then You won't have to start over or find a thinner sheet of aluminum.

Aluminum router bits:

http://www.toolstoday.com/c-429-aluminum-cutting-router-bits.aspx

This picture shows what I mean.(on a very big size of hole)

2010 VFR1200F  DCT

lemans1000

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2014, 03:18:12 AM »
Ah...sorry...now i know what you mean...Thanks, this is one of idea.

I was curious if that is the same tank you had before the restoration.  That gold green is classic and looks smooth with the red.   Is that a Lemans4 tank that has been hammered in?  Thanks buddy, and thanks for this thread!
Yes, it's the same tank that was on the bike before. My tank is fully modified LM 2 tank.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
I can't wait to see the finished product. Looks great!  ;-T

-Joe

lemans1000

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
Today's update...

Carbs are on the bike... ;D  Still need to mount rubber spacers for the tank, that's why it's still a little high..

Next; ignition lock....after a lot of thinking I decide for now to place ignition under the tank, on homemade bracket: for now...

So I made one...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
 ;-T
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2014, 01:59:55 AM »
Before doing any work with the switch and dashboard, put a 20-30A fuse on the wire from the battery to the main switch. Install in as close as possible to the battery.

lemans1000

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2014, 06:19:13 AM »
I did, I put the fuse.  ;)
Anyway, thanks for the advice  ;-T

lemans1000

« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »
A little more torture with console....

Finally mounted: But.....

"But" from the first part of the post....

Original console put the instruments between headlight and forks...my new console put the instruments higher...now I have a little problem with the cables...I'm going to use the T-cross that goes on instruments, for both sides...this will help me, so the cables don't hit the headlight....to much...If I bend a console a little more, there is not enought space for instrument cups.... ;D

So....again...tortu re newer stops... ;D

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »
Like music... tension and release. You are in the tension phase. You will be relieved when you sort through this. I going through some of the hardships on my Lario project. It's been one hell of a great ride though. Keep at it you're doing wonderfully. Really looks great!
Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2014, 10:33:01 PM »
They are sitting up aweful high. What about dropping the headlight down, or making the headlight brackets longer and push the headlight out some.

How do you intend covering the wires to the idiot lights and stopping water and crud from getting in?

Iave made a number of instrument pods over the years and have had to answer all these questions  ;)
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Penderic

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »
You could also get more clearance between the bottom of the guages and the headlight shell by...

Adding a collar ring to each of the gauges to raise the gauges about 1/2 - 1" above the surface of the gauge mount you made.

That extra space may allow you to bent the gauge mount down closer to the headlight shell ... maybe enough.

lemans1000

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2014, 03:04:43 AM »
What about dropping the headlight down, or making the headlight brackets longer and push the headlight out some.
Now I'm thinking about this...headlight down a little bit and maybe to bend a console a little down.

They are sitting up aweful high.
On pictures maybe...when you look whole bike, it isn't that aweful... ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:06:29 AM by lemans1000 »

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:45 AM »
Sorry, awful is probably the wrong choice of word. Your doing a great job and without seeing the whole bike it just looks a bit high without a fairing.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2014, 06:37:45 AM »
It's going to be a beautiful Guzzi when completed.  Are those Delrin carb boots?  I need to replace the rubber boots on my LM IV.  I notice in the recent pics that you still have the original Paioli or Bitubo fork dampers with the cross-over tube.  I'd recommend replacing those with FAC dampers at some point.  That change, along with new Progressive/Wirth springs made a noticeable difference on mine.

;-T

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

lemans1000

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:32 AM »
Are those Delrin carb boots?
Hm...I really don't know..I bought it at a fair in Austria a couple of years ago...

Sorry, awful is probably the wrong choice of word.
No problem, I understand what you mean  ;-T
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:33:22 AM by lemans1000 »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here