Author Topic: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?  (Read 5784 times)

Offline sign216

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4946
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
  • Location: Taunton, Massachusetts
NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:28:29 PM »
I'm posting this here, because of the board's wealth of mechanical knowledge.

Bike is  a 1965 Gilera 106cc, with 615 miles.  Has a moped-style electrical system.

I think the high tension coil that feeds the ignition coil, may be bad. But when I pulled it, it looks as nice and un-scarred as any coil I might buy. Hate to replace it needlessly.

Symptoms: when bike is warmed up, after 20 min, it starts to idle poorly, or not at all. At this time a tachometer run off of this coil's signal, will be slightly erratic. The display jumps from 1,900 rpm (normal idle) to almost 4,000 rpm, even then engine rpm hasn't changed at all.

Do "good" coils go bad, and develop unseen breaks in the wire insulation?


09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Triple Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5930
    • Lakeland Services Company
  • Location: North Central North Carolina
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »
They sure do.  The type your photo shows doesn't have a lot of hair-fine wire, so they rarely fail, but they can.  Are your points clean and the condenser known to be good?  I've had condensers partially fail and become heat sensitive.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:39:41 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline sign216

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4946
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
  • Location: Taunton, Massachusetts
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
I soldered on a new condenser a while ago. Solder job was ugly, but should have conducted.

Does the condenser's case ground to the engine? That might be a weak point.

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5419
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »
Heat it up with a heat gun with the engine cold and see if you can reproduce the symptoms. It may be failing when it gets hot. I realize its under the flywheel so that's sort of a project.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »

Symptoms: when bike is warmed up, after 20 min, it starts to idle poorly, or not at all. At this time a tachometer run off of this coil's signal, will be slightly erratic. The display jumps from 1,900 rpm (normal idle) to almost 4,000 rpm, even then engine rpm hasn't changed at all.


Disconnect the tach and see if the symptoms go away. When the electronic tach on a Loopframe Guzzi starts to fail, it can cause all sorts of weirdness. Could be a similar situation.
Charlie

Offline sign216

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4946
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
  • Location: Taunton, Massachusetts
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »
I now see that the Woodruff key is missing.  The key that aligns the magnetized flywheel on the crankshaft, to keep timing correct.  Without the key, it's possible that as the engine heats up the flywheel shifts and timing drifts.  Let me fix this, and see if it's a solution.

Now to find an assortment of metric Woodruff keys.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline 1Sourdough

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
  • Location: North Iowa
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:46:09 PM »
I now see that the Woodruff key is missing.  The key that aligns the magnetized flywheel on the crankshaft, to keep timing correct.  Without the key, it's possible that as the engine heats up the flywheel shifts and timing drifts.  Let me fix this, and see if it's a solution.

Now to find an assortment of metric Woodruff keys.

Did you get the timing sorted?
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline sign216

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4946
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
  • Location: Taunton, Massachusetts
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
I did. It was the middle of winter, so I had to heat up the crankshaft for the epoxy to stick, when I glued the key into place.  In addition replacing the woodruff key, I also rewound the ignition coil. The "exciter" coil at the flywheel.  That may have been the real problem, but I'm not sure.

After that, it runs very well. Although I'm still sorting out some other issues. I re-cut the spark plug hole, since there was room for an extra length spark plug. With a 1 inch reach spark plug, the bike idles much lower now. Although I had to back off the spark plug by 2 millimeters, to keep them from hitting the top of the piston.

The bike starts and idles beautifully, although I still haven't taken it out for a high speed run to check that end of the range.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
I did. It was the middle of winter, so I had to heat up the crankshaft for the epoxy to stick, when I glued the key into place.  In addition replacing the woodruff key, I also rewound the ignition coil. The "exciter" coil at the flywheel.  That may have been the real problem, but I'm not sure.

After that, it runs very well. Although I'm still sorting out some other issues. I re-cut the spark plug hole, since there was room for an extra length spark plug. With a 1 inch reach spark plug, the bike idles much lower now. Although I had to back off the spark plug by 2 millimeters, to keep them from hitting the top of the piston.

The bike starts and idles beautifully, although I still haven't taken it out for a high speed run to check that end of the range.

I hate to rain on your parade, but if the plug is sticking "out" beyond the casting, it'll build up carbon on the threads and the first time you remove it, it'll bring aluminum with it..  :o
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Online rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
another thought -- sometimes the depth of the plug is determined by the distance needed to not burn a hole in the piston.  I'm not saying what you did is wrong, I'm just suggesting that there might be a reason for the way it was.

$0.02

Offline sign216

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4946
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
  • Location: Taunton, Massachusetts
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
 It can idle at a much lower rpm, and more smoothly.


Don't be a hater.


09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: NGC - Do Good Coils Go Bad?
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
You have an odd sense of hate.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here