Author Topic: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results  (Read 9376 times)

Offline Daniel Kalal

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3256
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »
so far, in less than two years of ownership and 37,000 miles, this is what I've seen:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail (OEM)   6,000R        6,000F
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail   11,000R      11,000F
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail     8,000R      12,000F
Metzeler Tourance R             4,000R  
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail     8,000R

For the fronts, the PR4T front does better than the PR3T as would be expected, but for the rears, the PR4T does worse than the PR3T.  When my current rear (another PR4T) is replaced, I think I'll try the pure street PR4.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:06:33 PM by Daniel Kalal »

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14140
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
so far, in less than two years of ownership and 37,000 miles, this is what I've seen:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail (OEM)   6,000R        6,000F
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail   11,000R      11,000F
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail     8,000R      12,000F
Metzeler Tourance R             4,000R  
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail     8,000R

For the fronts, the PR4T front does better than the PR3T as would be expected, but for the rears, the PR4T does worse than the PR3T.  When my current rear (another PR4T) is replaced, I think I'll try the pure street PR4.


Over 5,000 miles on a rear tire.

Lies I tell you, all lies.



 ~;

Seriously, 11,000 miles on a rear tire.  ???
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline toma nova

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 323
  • Location: Houston, USA
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
Great data.  Numbers aside, what is your personal opinion of handling / ride?  I'm starting to think about replacing the OE Scorpions and will likely look for a ST or 90/10 tread.  I loved the PR3s on my 1200Sport, how did they perform on the NTX?

Also, what camera(s) do you use for those awesome photos?  Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Daniel Kalal

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3256
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
Quote from: Wayne Orwig
Seriously, 11,000 miles on a rear tire.

Do you remember the Michelin M45?  I got 20,000 miles on a rear tire on my Cal2 with that excellent tire.  Naturally, it was discontinued after Michelin left the U.S. market and then returned after a couple of years.

I run 42 psi on the rear (the Guzzi recommended pressure)


Quote from: Toma nova
Numbers aside, what is your personal opinion of handling / ride?

I didn’t much care for the ride of the Tourance, but I like both the PR3 and PR4—that is until they square off after too many straight miles.


Quote from: Toma nova
what camera(s) do you use

I use a Canon S100, but really it doesn’t matter too terribly much which camera you use—just so long as it’s handy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:44:17 PM by Daniel Kalal »

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »

Over 5,000 miles on a rear tire.

Lies I tell you, all lies.



 ~;

Seriously, 11,000 miles on a rear tire.  ???

I started using Dunlop Tour Elites on my Guzzis (the ones they would fit, anyway) when I was talking to a credible, reasonable-sounding guy at a Virginia Guzzi Rally who had over 20,000 miles on a rear Dunlop on his huge fat Voyager touring bike.    I've gotten 14,000 miles out of a rear on my SP, and 20,000 on a front.

On my Stelvio, I just replaced the front Pilot Road 3 Trail after 13,500 with a Pilot Road 4 Trail; the rear Pilot Road 3 has 6,500 miles on it but it's still got a lot of wear, and Fay and I will take a couple of weekend trips on it before I change it.

Must be that abrasive Georgia pavement, or frequent burn-outs, or something.   75,000 miles on these two bikes and never a flat, either.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Doppelgaenger

  • Guest
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
I tried every tire under the sun aside from Pilot Road series back when I had the SV. None of them ever lasted more than 5000 miles. In the meantime my two friends with R1200S boxer cup replicas were getting 10k out of PR2 rears. Is it the shaft drive that makes them last longer?

Online leafman60

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6826
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:11 AM »
1200S boxer cup replicas

BCR bikes were R1100S, not R1200S.  Big difference.

Online leafman60

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6826
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:04:41 AM »
Tires are somewhat like oil.  Everybody has an opinion and one man's tire may not be right for another.

Tire mileage is determined both by riding habits and tire design.

Insofar as tire design, higher mileage normally means less traction.

The last thing I want is a set of tires that gets phenomenal mileage. I want the better cornering and braking traction offered by tire compounds that don't get the highest mileage.

It's a tradeoff that must be determined by the riding characteristics of each rider.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:19:19 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:34:29 AM »
Tires are somewhat like oil.  Everybody has an opinion and one man's tire may not be right for another.

 

Only somewhat, though.   It's very hard to tell if a particular oil is making an engine last longer, run better, whatever oil is supposed to do for you.  All of the evidence is subjective and anectodal.  ("I've been using cheap 20W50 in my bike that calls for 10W60 and it's got 60,000 miles on it and is running fine", which means almost nothing).

You can IMMEDIATELY see the results of different tires.   If you're riding a lot, you can go through 3 to 5 tires a year, and you know exactly how they are performing for you.    I can't explain why two people get 2x a difference in mileage out of the same brand of tire on the same type of bike, though.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline demills

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »
Type of road surface can make a big difference in tire wear also.
09 V7 Classic
'13 Honda NC700X

Dennis Mills
Independence, Missouri
"GPS? Why would you want one of those? You can't get lost. There is no fun in that."

Offline drw916

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 602
  • Location: Spokane, WA
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »
The chip seal they use out where I live just eats tires.  My R1100s regularly goes through a rear in 3500 - 4000 using any of the main sport touring tires.  On my old Tuono it was 1500.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Spuddy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1116
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
  • Location: Clancy, Montana
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »
Just Bias for the front, while making a Radial at rear. Still can't figure out why manufacturers 'do' that for big dual sports.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650

Stevie88

  • Guest
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
so far, in less than two years of ownership and 37,000 miles, this is what I've seen:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail (OEM)   6,000R        6,000F
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail   11,000R      11,000F
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail     8,000R      12,000F
Metzeler Tourance R             4,000R  
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail     8,000R

For the fronts, the PR4T front does better than the PR3T as would be expected, but for the rears, the PR4T does worse than the PR3T.  When my current rear (another PR4T) is replaced, I think I'll try the pure street PR4.

My experiences after 31,000 miles on my 13 Stelvio.

OEM Scorpion 4,000 R   10,000 F
K60               6,000 R.  20,000 F
Anakee 3.      8,000 R
Mitas E-07       ?               ?

Offline bratman2

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 493
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 04:43:20 PM »
Can relate to the chip seal roads. They are every where in Eastern NC. They eat all tires, four wheel or two.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Online bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10057
  • Location: Central Il
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Wow, rages rage all over.  I have Scorpion Trails on my B1100.  It is a heavy bike, like almost all Guzzi big blocks, I help it more so by adding another 250LB.   That being the case, both front and rear are toast by 6K.  And that has pretty much been the case since I started riding  Guzzi big blocks in 99.
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Offline Arizona Wayne

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6257
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
Another factor is when X rider decides his tires are toast.  Some replace their rear tires as soon as they flat spot from riding on non-curves most the time.  Some replace their tires as soon as the tread reaches the wear bar between the tread.   I do neither and get more mileage out of my tires than most.  I don't replace the rear tire until I can see cord unless I'm getting ready to go on a long trip.  I run 40#  air on the back all the time and 38# on the front (no cupping).  I adapt my riding to the condition of the tires, but rarely feel I'm in an unsafe situation. If you've ever ridden with me in curves you know I don't putz along.

Never heard of front/rear tires wearing out at the same time.   Is that when you ride on dirt too, which I don't do?

My front street tires usually last 15K-18K mi.  Rears last 8K to 18K depending which tire construction they are.  I prefer longer lasting tires on the rear. Rarely run matched tire sets.  Have found unmatched sets that work better together than matched sets.  Like Kenda fronts & Shinko rears now since Dunlop 491s NLA.  Of course the personality of the bike matters on what tires I run too.   But I avoid soft tires that wear out too fast. I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty.  :azn:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:37:48 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Spuddy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1116
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
  • Location: Clancy, Montana
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
Quote
I adapt my riding to the condition of the tires, but rarely feel I'm in an unsafe situation.

But Wayne, aren't you starting out with 50% more wheels than most of us?

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Back in ancient times (Metzeler ME33/99) I was lucky to get 5k miles before the tires were shot, or at least squared off.  I ride with about the same amount of aggressiveness today as I did then (note - I'm not an aggressive rider).  

The tires that came from the factory on the 1200 Sport were toast by 3-4k miles.  Not so much worn out, as the tires just made the bike handle horribly.  When I talked with one of our best dealers, his advice was .... get them off the bike.  It's a factory mismatch (bike and tire)  How right he was!  Big heavy a**ed bike with sport tires that were worn out in no time.  What a waste for street riding.

I'm not one who is concerned about the amount or lack thereof of 'chickenstrip' on my tread, so a good sport-touring tire that combines relatively good mileage with traction that provides me with a wide-enough traction window is fine for me.

I've found the Michelin PR3 to be nearly a 9-10k mile setup on my 1200 Sport ( a CARC chassis), and since I'm not taking turns at 10/10, I find the traction more than adequate for my riding style, if it can be called 'style.'

Next time I'll try the newer PR4.  I do like the Michelins.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:24:13 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Arizona Wayne

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6257
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
But Wayne, aren't you starting out with 50% more wheels than most of us?

Spuddy




Not always.  ;)   ;D

Offline decotriumph

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 99
  • Location: Tullahoma, TN
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I have some new info to add. My OEM Pirelli rear tire was shot at 4500 miles, so I a tried an Avon Trailrider. It is shot at 5200 miles, and the front OEM Pirelli is shot now, too, total of 9700 miles. The front Pirelli has cupped worse than any tire I've ever owned, though, including ones on BMW Telelever front ends. I'm going to get a new pair of Michelin Anakee 3 tires installed on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I like them.
Here are pictures of the tread on the front Pirelli. It has huge cupped out sections, yet it doesn't vibrate or feel rough at the handlebar.

Alan M
Tullahoma, TN
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak
1999 Excelsior-Henderson
1979 Yamaha XS750F
1974 HD Sprint SS350
1966 Honda CB160

Past Guzzis:
2020 V85TT Adv.
2017 V9 Bobber (x2)
2014 Stelvio NTX
2012 Stelvio
2004 California Touring (x2)
2000 Jackal
1997 1100i Sport
1984 850-T5
1975 850

Offline redhawk47

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 511
  • Traveler
  • Location: Northern Colorado
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
I wore out two sets of Pirelli Scorpion Trails on my Stelvio. Then put a pair of Trails 2s on the bike. The front was cupped pretty bad by 3000 miles.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Hymes Inc.

  • Guest
Re: Stelvio tire mileage--a small assortmenet of results
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
When I bought my V7 Special it came with a pile of receipts from the original owner. Assuming they are correct he had new Pirelli Sport Demons installed at 12k miles. Bike has 24k on it now, I bought it with 16k on it. Didn't plan on replacing them until next spring so they will get a few more thousand on them. Not a tire expert at all but I like the longevity. I don't corner carve so sticky tires are unnecessary. 

 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here