Author Topic: 750 S3 - the recommisioning  (Read 94894 times)

canuck750

Re: 750 S3 - the recommisioning
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »
I decided upon powder coat for the frame, could not find a shop willing to spray the frame with an epoxy satin black for a decent price, quick turn around, got the frame back from the professionals today.

The fork lowers were done in the garage with my Eastwood Automotive powder coat kit and used Eastwood Rally Wheel Silver

I set the steering head races before I hang the frame up from the ceiling of the garage

Then drilled out the old steering lock and installed a new steering lock

New steering bearings and misc. steering stem parts

Hand packed greased into the bearings, used this drift to set the bearing onto the stem

Sanded the triple clamps for accepting the fork tubes

Little parts and pieces go on while I am at the front end and while I am waiting for the engine parts to come back

Offline mantaray

• New Egg
    • mantaray.zenfolio.com
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2015, 11:57:21 PM »
Your building faster then the factory in the seventies did lol.

In our stable:

Moto Morini strada 74 and 75, Ducati 696,
White Moto Guzzi LM 850 1978 and Iceblue first series Le Mans 850

More pics
http://mantaray.zenfolio.com

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2015, 05:11:16 AM »
Your building faster then the factory in the seventies did lol.

... And with more grease!

S
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »
Stunning.  ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »

canuck750

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2015, 08:44:44 AM »

... And with more grease!

S

Dang

there goes the accurate restoration! :D

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
Dang

there goes the accurate restoration! :D

I think the quality of your work already took care of that!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
It's all just so much fun to watch! Now where do I get me one them S3s?  ;D
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

canuck750

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:43 PM »
The old tubes were pitted and rusted, the stock dampers about as strong as a screen door damper and the springs a good match to the rest of the old parts.

New fork tubes, progressive springs, FAC dampers and new fork wipes and seals.

Only reused parts are the fork lowers and the damper rods, spring end bushings, snap rings, and spring end covers

Attaching the damper rods to the FAC dampers

Drive the fork tube seals into the fork lowers

Home made spring compressor to pull the end of the damper od through the spring bushing and spring end covers then the snap ring can be fitted and the spring compressor removed

The spring, damper and tube are joined together

New aluminum crush washer and thread sealant on the bottom retaining bolt

Bead blasting the fork tubes caused the inside of the tube to become rough and the fork tube binds so I made up a long extension to a sanding wheel and then ran the wheel in a drill to polish the inside of the fork lower

This is what I came up with to get 50cc of fork oil into the sealed fork assembly, by slowly pumping the fork the fluid is sucked in through the drain hole, the fancy little funnel is from a medical IV tube, my wife is a nurse and years ago she brought me a big bag of out of date supplies form the hospital, finally came in handy.

Fitted the forks into the triple clamps, waiting for the headlight ears and clip on handle bars to come back from the platting shop, so the tubes will come out once more.

I stopped into a bolt supply shop to find new dome rivets, they are '#4 X 3/8" self seating fasteners', fit the S3 frame tags perfectly, much larger than the rivets on the V7 Sport and Eldorado and Guzzi used only 2 instead of 6 on the S3, DeTomaso cost savings??

The FAC dampers have air fittings, I need to replace these with 8mm threaded special bolts to accept the instrument cluster.

canuck750

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Pulled the shocks out of the bin, they look pretty decent

a little rust on the shock body

These are Paoli shocks, they come apart from the bottom, the cast aluminum adjustment ring turns and lifts off the shock body when the spring is compressed.

Removed the paint and rust and dipped them in metal etch solution

One of them is leaking, the seal is done and these are not rebuildable, the shaft is welded to the top of the shock and the body is sealed.

So I will need to find something modern to use for riding and keep these for show.

They painted up good and the chrome polished up fine.

I forgot to send the signal light parts to the chrome platter so another box will be mailed to the shop in Calgary

These Aprilia signal lights are so well made. cast bodies, steel chrome stems with locking buts and lucking plugs to secure the body to the threaded stem in the correct position, but the best part is the lamp holder is mounted on springs to isolate it from the cast body, very cool

The cast and steel parts ready to be plated

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2015, 11:00:45 PM »
I am an avid follower of this thread and get a kick out of seeing your progress. I sent my threaded shafts that the turn signals mount on away for plating when I did my T3. When they came back the threads had been eroded by some part of the plating process to such a degree that they were ruined. They were made from some sort of muck-metal. I got around it by using threaded rod with stainless tube, thus being able to shorten the front ones. Check yours carefully before you send them away.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

canuck750

« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
Thank you for the heads up on the plating!

I will check wit the platting shop about what they can and can not protect.

Cheers

Jim

canuck750

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
The forks have to come apart, the tops of the FAC dampers need to be modified to accept the instrument cluster special bolt, I modified a set of FAC dampers to fit my disc brake Eldo so I know there is a lot of aluminum in the top of the FAC damper.

On the left is the FAC, on the right is the stock fork cap for the S3 (same as the V7 Sport)

My small lathe comes in very handy for small projects like this, first the hex head of the FAC is too thick, machine it down to match the stock plug

Then drill and ream out the center of the plug

And thread the centre for the 8mm special bolt

and now the new matches the look of the old

A little thread sealer

And they are done

Back together, much better, it would be very hard to tell that the forks are modified to FAC dampers

Stripped the rear end, gears and bearings are very nice

The case just needs on helicoil for the lower drain plug, the case alloy is very soft, no wonder the plugs strip so easy

A little permanent locktite on the coil

trim the tang and its done

the paper gaskets were brittle, new ones with a tiny bead of silicone

And torque it all back together and fit a new seal

Refit the shock stud

another part ready to go back on
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:37:13 PM by canuck750 »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
These pics are Great ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

canuck750

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
Finished the swing arm, new U joint bearing, U joint, circlips, and seals, zinc plated the pivot pins and fitted a new rubber boot

Fitted a new O ring

I reused the original pivot bearings and races, I figure that as long as they are decent a good cleaning and re-packing them with grease will serve for another 40 years

Ready to drop in when the frame is ready for it

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the awesome step by step pictures, they're a great guide for when mine comes together  :bow
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
Lovely ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Brightblade

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
The time it takes to build, plus pics and comments.  Just awesome.

canuck750

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
Thanks guys for the encouragement, the beauty of a Guzzi big twin is they are very simple to work on, if an untrained guy like me can put one together I think anyone with some time, patience and asking timely advice on this forum can rebuild one. The 4 stroke Honda motor on my old gas mower was more complex.

A big box arrived today from Fast Industries in Manitoba, (Millennium branch office in Canada),turn around was about three weeks door to door, just like Christmas in May ;D

Cost on the cylinders was about $300 CDN each, factor in new pistons (Harpers has lots of new pistons and rings for the 750 Sport, 750S and 750 S3) and new rings, gudgeon pin and circlips and it's the same price as Giladorni kits but I have retained the original cylinders for this bike.

I had sent the original 750 S3 cylinders and heads off to be rebuilt, the cylinders were plated and matched to new pistons I sent along. The shop marked the pistons and cylinders as LH and RH sets

Heads were sent with new guides, valves and springs, they replaced the guides, ground the valve seats and shimmed the springs for each valve and fitted some Helicoils. Price per head was a little over $100 CDN + parts cost for valves, springs and guides.

Now to assemble a motor, MG Cycle provided a new B10 cam on exchange for the stock cam and supplied a new timing chain and tensioner along with a bunch of small items like rod bolts, cam retainer etc...

canuck750

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2015, 09:57:40 PM »
In advance of assembling the engine there are a couple of housekeeping items that I learned from Gregory Bender and his excellent 'This Old Tractor' web site. Greg has amassed an amazing body of knowledge on all things Guzzi and anyone working on an old Guzzi really should take a read through the site. Loop frames are his specialty but the early Tonti models are well represented.

First to flatten the base of the engine block, I don't have a real surface plate but I have a nice piece of granite tile that I checked with a straight edge and a feeler gauge, pretty darn flat as is.

I use 200 grit dry sandpaper and spray glue to mount the sand paper to the granite tile.

Then I brush on some machinist blue dye to mark the base of the engine block

Then place the block onto the sand paper / granite and pressing down on the cylinder studs I rotate the block and slide it side to side and back and forth, in a couple minutes all the blue dye is gone and the surface of the block is true

Last thing to do on the block is to mix up some JB weld and seal the cam plug, the JB weld is self leveling, I use just enough to fill the recess in the block around the plug

Ready to start assembling the motor.

canuck750

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »

1st off let me be clear I am no mechanic, these pictures are just a record of how I go about assembling a motor, hopefully I am doing this right.

Fitting the crank shaft and flanges, oil feed tube still intact

Heat the case with a heat gun for a couple minutes and the flange will drop in to place without binding

Pre bend the new lock tabs  before setting the 8mm bolts securing the flange

These four are secured and the remaining two will come out once I fit the cam chain tensioner and then be brushed with Loctite and torqued to spec

Brush the mating surfaces with Assembly Lube

And the bearing surfaces of the crank shaft

The I fit two studs to hold the rear flange gasket and again heat the case

And check the rear oil feed tube is in place

Rear flange drops into place

Bottom two bolts need tread sealant or oil will leak out of the back of the motor

Locktite on everything that can rattle loose

Press the rear main seal into place using this home made aluminum and long bolt kit

Aluminum crush washers on each side of the lower breather tube bolt

New con rod big end shells, and new con rod bolts and nuts

Torqued into place

B10 cam from MG Cycle

A new cam bearing flange

And then an hour later I finally got the continues new cam chain and three sprockets to drop over the three shafts at once, 1st time I installed a cam chain, the gear sets on the Eldo and V7 Sport is far superior in my humble opinion.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:52:16 PM by canuck750 »

canuck750

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
Got in an hour in the shop yesterday, unpacked the replated cylinders and rebuilt heads.

reusing the lifters, they are in nice shape, only one has some minor wear but I am not opting to get them ground

The new rings I got from Harpers (along with the pistons) come marked with 'TOP' on the ring surface, no confusion about getting them right

Millennium measured each piston and matched the plating / cylinder sizing to each piston individually, there was a few thou difference between the two

And these gaskets from MG Cycle align nicely with the push rod tubes, some others I got out of 'kits' don't line up very well

New O rings

And I replaced the wave washers

Torqued all six head nuts to 31 ft.lbs.

I polished the original rocker pins and rocker wear surfaces, used a white polish and the small imperfections cleaned right up

Nice and snug rockers

New oil feed line

Powder coated the breather box, new hoses and clamps

New rocker cover breather hoses

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:36:24 PM by canuck750 »

canuck750

« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2015, 10:04:19 PM »
I got started on the 5 speed, new bearings for the case and cover, I get to try out the bearing drifts I bought off a chap in Germany and I made up three other ones for different bearings

I heat up the cover and case to about 250 F,

then a smear of retainer on the bearing surface

Cold bearings drop right into a heated case and cover, a final tap on the drift to make sure the bearings are seated

Getting the races off the ends of the shafts was a real bugger! Tried the butane torch, didn't budge at all

It took the oxy acetylene torch to get the race red hot and the bearing puller to remove them

at least the new races went back on without too much drama, just warmed the races up wit a heat gun to 160F, a smear of locktite retainer  and the special Guzzi tool to drive them home

And the bearings are replaced

short of the one big end bearing on the main shaft, that is for another day

Now to shim the selector drum and reassemble the gear set

canuck750

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »
Replaced the transmission shaft bearing, the special nut on the end of the shaft is reverse thread and it is 'punched' into a recess in the shaft, straighten the nut and it spins off with little effort

From MG Cycle I bought a deep sump with a recessed external oil filter, nice kit, comes with everything needed to make the swap

No instructions but the relief valve and the plastic / mesh screen needs to be swapped from the stock pan

The relief valve will not fit if the shroud is left on

So I removed the shroud and added a shim equal in thickness to the shroud

I like it, the oil filter is fully recessed below the deep cooling fins

The yellow tape reminds me I need to torque the timing gear nuts once I get the flywheel, clutch and ring gear on and I can lock up the motor.

Offline Warwick in NZ

• Hatchling
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »

Then drilled out the old steering lock and installed a new steering lock

Hi there, love what you are doing here.

Question, if i may,

1: After drilling the lock out, how is it retained in there...?
2: Where do you get the locks from...?

I would like to do this for the Monza i have....

Thanks Warwick :)
Always asking the Questions that someone else wants to hear ::) ;D

95 Cali 1100 Carb 260,500 km's
81 V50 Monza, 22,000 Km's

canuck750

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »
Hi there, love what you are doing here.

Question, if i may,

1: After drilling the lock out, how is it retained in there...?
2: Where do you get the locks from...?

I would like to do this for the Monza i have....

Thanks Warwick :)

Once you drill out the soft brass lock cylinder any remnants of the lock will pull out with not too much effort. The new lock is retained by a spring loaded tab, you insert the key, turn the key hard to one side (can't remember if you turn R or L) push the whole assembly all the way, release the pressure on the key and centre the key in the position that will release it, remove the key and cylinder will remain locked into position. To remove the cylinder re-insert the key again turn hard to the R (or L??) and pull the whole assembly out with the key in the cylinder.

MG Cycle has the steering lock for the Monza in stock

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=3152

Cheers

Jim

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:22 AM »
Once you drill out the soft brass lock cylinder any remnants of the lock will pull out with not too much effort. The new lock is retained by a spring loaded tab, you insert the key, turn the key hard to one side (can't remember if you turn R or L) push the whole assembly all the way, release the pressure on the key and centre the key in the position that will release it, remove the key and cylinder will remain locked into position. To remove the cylinder re-insert the key again turn hard to the R (or L??) and pull the whole assembly out with the key in the cylinder.

MG Cycle has the steering lock for the Monza in stock

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=3152

Cheers

Jim

It should be noted that the fork lock cover needs to be removed as the first step. A thin, flat-bladed screwdriver or knife is used to lever the rivet out and then the cover removed.

In the past I drilled out fork locks I didn't have a key for, but now I just hit them with a punch and large hammer. That breaks off the "tab" that retains it and the whole lock then pulls right out.
Charlie

Offline Warwick in NZ

• Hatchling
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
Thanks Jim and Charlie, I'll see how i get on, Warwick :)
Always asking the Questions that someone else wants to hear ::) ;D

95 Cali 1100 Carb 260,500 km's
81 V50 Monza, 22,000 Km's

canuck750

« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2015, 09:26:48 PM »
The project stalled for a while, the original flywheel and ring gear were mailed off to be lightened, unfortunately some 5 weeks later and the parts have failed to show up at the shop I mailed them to, have to assume the original flywheel and ring gear are lost in some postal depot, frustrating :angry:

So I decided to go with a RAM clutch, I have one in my V7 Sport and it shifts very easily and clutch pull is a lot easier than on my Eldorado. I put on a couple hundred miles on the V7 Sport today mixed highway and in town and have no qualms using the RAM again.

MG Cycle rushed me a new RAM setup, comes complete with six new high strength bolts and some amusing instructions.

The RAM installation instructions in Italian and English (a poor translation from Italian) say to align the red marks to the white paint marks on the end of the crank.

Glad I didn't remove the paint mark!

The crank has been set to left hand cylinder at TDC compression using a degree wheel and a piston stop

And remarkably the red mark aligns perfectly with the notch in the top left hand of the engine block

There is another small mark on the RAM body that indicates Left Cylinder TDC in the Transmission inspection hole. I decided to stamp this mark 'L' and 'TDC' and paint a yellow line with a steel engineers square

Then locked the ring gear with the special tool and torqued the cam sprocket nut, the crank and oil pump and folded the lock tab over on the crank nut.

Installed a new seal on the timing chest cover

And a new timing cover gasket, 3 bond on the bottom third of the cover

And fitted the tach drive

Next to join the transmission and install it in the frame

canuck750

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »
I read a while back a post where a fellow was asking how to move the engine to the bike, I improvise, creeper upside down on a pile of plastic bins on a wheel cart

Wheel the engine over to the bike lift, set the engine stand on the lift and raise the hoist up to match the cart, I have a bad back and I finally try to look after it as I get older

strap  it down so I don't tip the whole package over

Then join the transmission to the block

Fit the centre stand and lower frame rails, cad plated bits and pieces

It all goes back together fairly straightforward

Then drop the frame a bit and raise the hoist up and after a lot of jiggling and wiggling A meets B

Fitted the swing arm, set the pivot pins and attached the replated foot rests and the new IKON shocks

This should be a nice handling bike with the Ikons on the back and the FAC dampers and Progressive springs up front.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2015, 11:33:14 PM »
Looks Great :grin:
Oz
04 Cali

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here