Author Topic: Rake angle on a Convert  (Read 3470 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Rake angle on a Convert
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
   Our search feature is a Joke.  I type in above  and it Highlights rake from the word brake.  WTH   This happens all the time.  Must be a budget software.   Any hoo, I think the rake is 28 degrees but want to check. I have a Honda pc 800 that has 28 deg. rake and 4 in trail and it falls beautifully in 90 degree corners.  Not so much the Convert.The Convert weighs 50 lbs. less.  I have Pirelli on the Convert and Dunlop on the Honda.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rake angle on a Convert
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:34 PM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
Sorry Rich , is it 26.5 , 28 , or 29 degrees  ;D

Dusty

5154Guzzi sez:  "My Sp1000/G5 manual shows 28 Degrees" and that agrees w what the OP thought (and the bike is not an EV), but I can't confirm that (I took a quick look in my Convert owner's manual)

Rich A

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
what size is you front tire? 120.. 110? try a 100x90 what about the rear tire? I bet your PC has a much fatter tire...if your comparing two different motorcycles there is more to it that rake and trail.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 12:41:03 AM »
With my EV and 'vert side by side there is a noticeable difference in rake -- 'vert is less.  Can't give absolute values.

The smaller the tire on my Convert the better it handles.  The day before I busted my atf drive, with my 100's fore and aft I blew the wheels off of a pack of those green ujm's that look like jousting horses-cum-transformers.  I couldn't outrun them, but I didn't have to slow down in the corners like they did.  In their defense, they might not have expected an escapee from the '70s to be a contender. . .   8)

I have to compromise because I run unloaded about the island but run heavy on the road.  I have two sets of rims for it and change to bigger tires for my trips when staying in the lines is more important than holding a line.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
   Our search feature is a Joke.  I type in above  and it Highlights rake from the word brake.  WTH   This happens all the time.  Must be a budget software.   Any hoo, I think the rake is 28 degrees but want to check. I have a Honda pc 800 that has 28 deg. rake and 4 in trail and it falls beautifully in 90 degree corners.  Not so much the Convert.The Convert weighs 50 lbs. less.  I have Pirelli on the Convert and Dunlop on the Honda.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

You could always buy them better software!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »

Happens again GEARMAN, exclude "brake" from your search on the second go-'round.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
what size is you front tire? 120.. 110? try a 100x90 what about the rear tire? I bet your PC has a much fatter tire...if your comparing two different motorcycles there is more to it that rake and trail.
Ok so if I had a fatter rear tire and a smaller front tire it would handle closer to the PC? :)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:09:19 PM »
Regardless of whether it's a front or rear tire, a fatter (wider) one takes more time to roll sidewall-to-sidewall than a skinny one because there is more distance for it to travel.  So a fat tire turns slower and a skinny one turns faster.  If your front is way skinny and the back is way wide you're going to track your curves differently than if they were both skinny or both wide.  As you approach the same size the track becomes more neutral.  That's why a lemans with a 100 or 120 rear tire has a street warrior with its 160 or so rear tire for lunch in the twisties.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here