Author Topic: loop project progress  (Read 10561 times)

Offline ratguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3840
    • road kill
loop project progress
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
Got the wiring done today, everything soldered, shrink fitted connections, etc.
Ford tractor mufflers installed a couple days ago.
I basically have the ammo cans to mount up, fuel lines to connect, securing the seat, double check the fluids then fuel it up and see if it runs.
Hopefully tomorrow.
JB

John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL


"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5418
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »
Looks good- makes me wish I hadn't sold off all my loops and loop stuff. They went to a good home so I still get to see them. Are you going to upgrade the rear drive box at some point? Probly just show it the keys and it'll start!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Aaron D.

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5882
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
That looks like a lot of fun, that 1100 with Ambo gearing should fly!

Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »
I'm digging it. Looks like a fun project!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline ratguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3840
    • road kill
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
I can easily upgrade the final drive by simply welding a brake arm tab on one of my tonti swingarms and use my 8/33 gearset from the raT-3 but I think the Ambo final drive is one of the best "looking" final drives in the history of motorcycles!
I want the whole exposed look so there won't be any side covers.
This bike will roll out clean but will  never be washed again.
Yeah, 98 EV motor with ignition points and carbs. This motor routinely got 50-53 mpg in my raT-3 and pulled smooth as silk in top gear from 25 mph on up. When it was injected in the EV it vibrated until over 70mph in top gear and rare got over 40 mpg.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL


"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15170
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
Charlie

Offline CalVin2007

  • fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
  • Location: Central Kansas,USA
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »
"98 EV motor with ignition points and carbs. This motor routinely got 50-53 mpg in my raT-3 and pulled smooth as silk in top gear from 25 mph on up. When it was injected in the EV it vibrated until over 70mph in top gear and rare got over 40 mpg.
JB"

    Can anyone tell me roughly what the advance curve in the distributor is? ( deg advance at rpm starting point and full advance deg at what rpm)    I am going to create an ignition map for a 15M ecu that mimics the mechanical curve of a Guzzi distributor, and fiddle with the injection map as well in an attempt to see if I can make my CalVin run like the '98 EV engine JB references above.  :evil: Why not? GuzziDiag and TunerPro make it easy to mess with things I shouldn't mess with and its too cold to do much else.

  Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline ratguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3840
    • road kill
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 07:29:46 PM »
"98 EV motor with ignition points and carbs. This motor routinely got 50-53 mpg in my raT-3 and pulled smooth as silk in top gear from 25 mph on up. When it was injected in the EV it vibrated until over 70mph in top gear and rare got over 40 mpg.
JB"

    Can anyone tell me roughly what the advance curve in the distributor is? ( deg advance at rpm starting point and full advance deg at what rpm)    I am going to create an ignition map for a 15M ecu that mimics the mechanical curve of a Guzzi distributor, and fiddle with the injection map as well in an attempt to see if I can make my CalVin run like the '98 EV engine JB references above.  :evil: Why not? GuzziDiag and TunerPro make it easy to mess with things I shouldn't mess with and its too cold to do much else.

  Terry

That would be cool. But seriously, a carburator is an amazing simplistic mixer with maybe more fuel/air ratio combos than standard EFI. I mean if you think about main jets, tapered needles, idle jets, pumpers, there is a different fuel mixture for every 1000th inch of throttle movement with years and years of history.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL


"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29696
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
Quote
but I think the Ambo final drive is one of the best "looking" final drives in the history of motorcycles!
Yeah, me.. too.
Quote
But seriously, a carburator is an amazing simplistic mixer with maybe more fuel/air ratio combos than standard EFI.
Oh, yeah. I'd compare it to analog vs. digital music reproduction. It's subtle, or not..  :smiley: depending on your ear, but definitely there.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline Aaron D.

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5882
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »
I remember an interview with a Saab engineer who preferred carburetors over injection. He said he liked the bread and the butter together instead of first the bread, then the butter.

Offline CalVin2007

  • fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
  • Location: Central Kansas,USA
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »
  Oh, I absolutely agree with you and Chuck about carbs and their attributes. To a fairly impressive degree they are amazingly capable of coping with different conditions and are mostly stone simple to maintain. BUT...I am stuck with this lump containing a decided lack of distributor hole (and drive gear) so next best time wasting effort is to monkey with the electronic systems I generally disdain. But I suppose even I can learn, so here I go. I've poked around for the last hour and have come up with a few advance curves from early Guzzis so I have a start point.  :thumb:
   And yeah...that loop looks the business JB. Well done.

  Terry
   
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Online Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3596
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:54:18 PM »
Looks good. With that much motor, thou shall requireth more brake.  :laugh:

Offline ratguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3840
    • road kill
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 08:56:14 PM »
Looks good. With that much motor, thou shall requireth more brake.  :laugh:
Or wrist control!
Hey, they's anti-lock brakes, old school............
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL


"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline fotoguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20020
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 10:11:58 PM »



I had that same wall paper in my rental across the street from Mr Franks Pizza in college 1974.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline CalVin2007

  • fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
  • Location: Central Kansas,USA
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 10:28:39 PM »
 Would that be "period correct" wallpaper for this loop project then?  :thumb:

   Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline azguzzirep

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2692
  • Gratzi Carlo!
  • Location: Neckarhausen, Deutschland 72622
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 06:40:20 AM »
Rolls Royce had a Grey Ghost, now I see there is a Moto Guzzi Grey Ghost, too!

Nice!!!

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »
JB,

Which mufflers are those?  I like them.  They'll look good under the ammo cans.

Why white?  I figured you were tired of OD green, but, brown or black would have been more logical for a bike not to be washed again  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline RayB

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1072
  • Location: NW Indiana-The arm pit of the Nation
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 07:57:31 AM »
At the top of the thread JB said they were Ford tractor muffs. I think the paint is gray.
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »
But, which one?  I guess it doesn't matter.  Match pipe sizes.

This one?
http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/ford_tractor_vertical_muffler_957e5230d_3533_prd1.htm

Probably, cause it is the cheapest of the bunch  :thumb:

PS let us know how it sounds too.  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:10:55 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online chuck peterson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5514
  • Location: New Haven CT
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »
looks very North Africa campaign-ish...maybe saddlebags made from water and gas cans...small shovel on the side for sand...subtle cammo paint...portable metal ramp for soft sand...goggles from a welding helmet...hang a fake hand grenade somewhere...yeah, baby :thumb:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline ratguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3840
    • road kill
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
I believe the mufflers are the Ford FO-4.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stanley-muffler-company-inlet-aluminized-muffler-fo-4
The uh.... tailpipes are actually header pipes hacked off at the curve.

Color was supposed to be battleship gray.
Ammo cans for luggage and maybe my metal screen windscreen.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL


"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

canuck750

  • Guest
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »
I like it! refreshing to see a special that is not a Café bike, this has a sense of purpose to it, it has the look of an early Beemer, sorta military escort type bike.

Online lazlokovacs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1148
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
  Oh, I absolutely agree with you and Chuck about carbs and their attributes. To a fairly impressive degree they are amazingly capable of coping with different conditions and are mostly stone simple to maintain. BUT...I am stuck with this lump containing a decided lack of distributor hole (and drive gear) so next best time wasting effort is to monkey with the electronic systems I generally disdain. But I suppose even I can learn, so here I go. I've poked around for the last hour and have come up with a few advance curves from early Guzzis so I have a start point.
   

been there tried that on the cali vintage! I can dig out the advance curve I ended up with if you're interested... the experiment was not a success but I'd be fascinated if you can get it to work.. I think OP is correct, carbs and points cannot be succesfully replicated by the ecu. The 1100 has been succesfully converted to carbs and points though by jacksonracing, there's a thread on here somewehre titled 'luddite' something...

good luck!

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »
Thanks for the muffler info.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Moto Fugazzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1715
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
  • Location: Milwaukee
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41:41 PM »
Very cool!
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline jacksonracingcomau

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2397
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 11:53:28 PM »
The 1100 has been succesfully converted to carbs and points though by jacksonracing, there's a thread on here somewehre titled 'luddite' something...



Hey Johnny
Credit the OP, I think he did it before me, actually even with twin plug heads, I can't beat his fuel figures, struggle to get same in UK mpg but mine pulls from 0 too.

JB
I thought about 4 speed too, interested in how it all goes, not sure I can handle a loopy steering now, spoilt by Tonti for so long, but is fantastic that we can mix and match all bits from 67 to now, guess we'll see 8v engines in loops and Tontis before too long.
Agree with starburst drive box, I've got a 8/37 one (Tonti'd) but 8/35 better with big motor, which one is yours ?

Calvin
If you don't want to bore case for points housing, why not keep ECU for ignition & fit carbs, just bolt em on
I don't think elec ig will be your hiccup, but if the parameters are not achievable with ECU, fit a control box keeping trigger you have

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
Battleship grey.  I can see it now.  I think the flash wiped out the color on the front half of the bike.  I still like it.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
I'm digging it.. Did I already say that?

Have you considered adding the round eldo/anbo accents to the tank (maybe in darker grey or brown to match seat) as homage to the ambassador? Looks great as is, so it's a tough call. Just thought it would tie in the concept nicely.

Are you going to be able to post s video of it running?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline CalVin2007

  • fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
  • Location: Central Kansas,USA
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »
"Calvin
If you don't want to bore case for points housing, why not keep ECU for ignition & fit carbs, just bolt em on
I don't think elec ig will be your hiccup, but if the parameters are not achievable with ECU, fit a control box keeping trigger you have"

     Martin-
   Exactly what I have considered,and will keep considering if I can't achieve what I want. The CalVin case lacks even the casting for distributor boss so boring the case isn't an option. Currently writing maps on TunerPro like a madman,and trying to test ride in the winter weather. Builds character,lol! I have even considered (perish the thought?) a single carb setup.

    JB- I love the looks of that thing,and the idea behind it. Hope it works well. :thumb:

   Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Online lazlokovacs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1148
Re: loop project progress
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
Currently writing maps on TunerPro like a madman,and trying to test ride in the winter weather. Builds character,lol!

I spent a long time doing exactly that, ran a 9-30 ignition, all in at 3500rpm, I couldn't get it running too good at all even with a wideband 02 sensor and datalogging... (though I have had success with tweaking the basic guzzi map)

 if you do get anywhere with your distributor map and want some external testing then ping me over the map and I'll try it out for you gladly, think two heads may be better than one, it can be a time consuming and frustrating experience...

 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here