Wildguzzi.com
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Donation Status
News:
New Moto Guzzi Door Mats Available Now
Home
Help
Donations
Advertise
Login
Register
Wildguzzi.com
»
General Category
»
General Discussion
(Moderators:
rocker59
,
Luaps Girl
,
Ncdan
) »
Sell Me a Stelvio!
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Sell Me a Stelvio! (Read 4989 times)
BarkSlayer
Guest
Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
on:
January 27, 2016, 10:25:54 PM »
Greetings, guys...I'm new here in the forum and am ready to pick up my first Moto Guzzi - a 2013 Stelvio NTX. At 59 years old, I've been riding and racing off-road for a long time and have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on the pavement. After several BMWs, including the R1200GS, my current ADV ride is a Yamaha Super Tenere - a bike that's very pleasant to ride, but just isn't weird enough for my liking. Can anyone who has owned both contrast the Stelvio with the Super Tenere? My mind is all but made up...just want to know that someone else has been down this path before me with no regrets. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Logged
Scud
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 1190
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #1 on:
January 27, 2016, 11:00:38 PM »
Haven't done that bike comparison myself. But having only acquired my first Guzzi a bit over a year ago, I wondered why it took me so damn long to get one. It sounds like you will regret NOT going down the Guzzi path. Jump in and enjoy. Have you done your research about which years have the rollers and which years still need them? That seems like a pretty big deal.
Logged
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200
Kent in Upstate NY
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 2275
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #2 on:
January 28, 2016, 12:58:31 AM »
Get a model year 13 or newer and have no worries.
Logged
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.
WitchCityGuzzi
Gosling
Posts: 202
Location: Wales, MA
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #3 on:
January 28, 2016, 05:20:40 AM »
Head over to the ADV Rider forum in the Beast Forum , Stelvio thread fest and ask. There are lots of converts to the Stelvio there.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/moto-guzzi-stelvio-merged-threadfest.113158/
Logged
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint
Johncolleary
Gaggle Mentor
Posts: 391
Location: Loudon Tennessee
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #4 on:
January 28, 2016, 07:54:51 AM »
I have a 2013 Stelvio and have close to 20K miles, no regrets. I test rode the Tenere many times when deciding what to buy and found the Yamaha had no soul. it was a good bike but was like riding a sewing machine. I have taken a few long distance rides and had no problems on the trips. Go for the Stelvio!
Logged
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2024 Honda Transalp
2023 Kawasaki KLX300
kirb
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 1215
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #5 on:
January 28, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
I have not come from a Super T to a Stelvio, but came from a FJR instead.
My travels through Stelvio ownership-
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/
Logged
stick
Hatchling
Posts: 65
Greater Worcester, MA
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #6 on:
January 28, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
BarkSlayer: 2013 or newer. If you buy used (or even new!!), one thing to check is the battery. It's mounted at about a 45 degree angle down under the rear of the tank.
Guzzi didn't spec the proper "factory sealed" AGM battery
, and mine leaked, TWICE. I cleaned up the acid when I saw it, called the dealer, and they prepped + installed a new battery. Same results - LEAK!!. I was at wits-end.
Not to lose any riding time, I cobbled a smaller, sealed, AGM battery into the batt box. Told the dealer exactly what I was doing. They weren't sure how to proceed with "warranty" issues, since the new battery leaked just like the original one.
After a couple of weeks, I decided to take the leaker, and force it to leak. I pulled some charge outta the battery, then charged it totally upside-down in my garage, on a plastic sheet. I could not make it leak at all... Maybe the glass matts take time to absorb the electrolyte? My dealer said they did not overfill--they come with pre-measured 6-bank of flasks. Anyway, the OEM battery is back in there, not leaking, and no signs of corrosion anywhere.
That's most important. That if there WAS a leak, that someone neutralized it thoroughly (I used a LOT of baking soda/water solution), along with a good rinse. Check for corrosion anywhere near or below the batt. terminals (top of tranny, starter, frame, TB linkage, fuse box near battery, exhaust, etc.)
«
Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:29:21 AM by stick
»
Logged
Stick
Nothing like stuffing a Goose between your legs
2013 Stelvio NTX
2002 V1100 Lemans
1996 Sport 1100
2003 Ducati ST4s
ratguzzi
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 3840
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #7 on:
January 28, 2016, 09:31:27 AM »
http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html
Logged
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL
"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"
Cage Free
Gaggle Mentor
Posts: 321
Location: Murrieta Ca
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #8 on:
January 28, 2016, 11:03:05 AM »
For me the differences in these two isn't worth changing bikes over. While I really like my 13 Stelvio if I was to buy new today Id probably pick the Tenere just because I've owned so many Yamaha's over the years and really like how unquirky (is that a word) they are. FYI, there is a 2014 Green Stelvio with 10k miles on it for $9890. at Biggs HD in San Marcos Ca.
Logged
JeffOlson
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 1643
Location: Oregon & Washington
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #9 on:
January 28, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »
Here is a new 2015 Stelio for $12,990:
http://www.motointernational.com/catalog/moto-guzzi/2015-moto-guzzi-stelvio-1200-ntx
Logged
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300
Chuck in Indiana
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 29699
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #10 on:
January 28, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »
A good friend crashed his Stelvio, and replaced it with a Super Ten. He says get the Stelvio.
Logged
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."
Mike Tyson
cloudbase
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 2523
Location: 89TA
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #11 on:
January 28, 2016, 01:15:56 PM »
Buy the Stelvio, then trade it to me for my Quota. Then you can be really weird.
Enjoy your new bike. Many happy and safe miles.
Logged
kingoffleece
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 4630
Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #12 on:
January 28, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
The dealer in Buffalo has a green one on the floor he can't give away. May be worth a call. I think it's a 2014-brand new.
Logged
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.
BarkSlayer
Guest
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #13 on:
January 28, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone! Now all I have to do is find myself the right 2013+ Stelvio...preferabl
y in matte green.
Logged
kmartin
Gosling
Posts: 178
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #14 on:
February 03, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »
I put 55,000 mi on an '09. It was love at first ride (I certainly didn't think it was beautiful). When a deer killed it almost 2 years ago I replaced it with a Multistrada. The Duc is a fabulous bike, great fun and at least as reliable. But after not quite a year and 15,000 mi I traded it for a '15 NTX. The Stelvio is like an old girlfriend, not as exciting as the Duc, but way more comfortable. I feel like I had a fling and she took me back.
No if I can stop lusting for the Griso. The Tenni SE, oh still my beating heart ...
«
Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:07:13 PM by kmartin
»
Logged
Keith Martin
inditx
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 1608
Location: KC Area
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #15 on:
February 04, 2016, 05:36:08 PM »
Just bought a 2103 “new” Stelvio NTX and I smile when I ride
Had a 1050 Tiger a 1200 Tiger Explorer and a 955 Tiger before the Guzzi (Triumph triples are great for sure)
But the MG just has the cool factor with the best v-twin grunt imho
Be like us, go for the Stelvio…
inditx
p.s. Good to be back Chuck in Indiana (had a Breva 750 before too…) Ok I’m addicted to bikes...
Logged
inditx
This is the day.....
Waltr
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 892
Location: south central PA
Re: Sell Me a Stelvio!
«
Reply #16 on:
February 05, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »
BarkSlayer,
We have a 2014 Orange NTX and a Blue NTX. We will Match Moto Internationals price. Not sure where you are located.
Walt
Logged
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com
2012 Norge
NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
Wildguzzi.com
»
General Category
»
General Discussion
(Moderators:
rocker59
,
Luaps Girl
,
Ncdan
) »
Sell Me a Stelvio!
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here