Here's my take,
I ride year round and long trip several times a year, which been doing for a while. Had a used Stich 2 pc suit a dozen+ years ago, then went leather 2 pc for winter and mesh 2 pc for summer, then Rocket Survivor suit (needed one pc for track schools and thought leather would never be used off track so went textile). Have used it quite a bit when on dual sport day rides, but to me 2 pc are best for traveling.
For me, I'm in the camp that wears mesh when traveling with heated liners underneath when it gets cold and a PVC 2 pc rain suit for the really wet stuff over the top. This way I have total versatility for hot, cold, and wet. Got caught in a little bit of a down pour in Mo. coming back from the Springfield Mile last year. Body stayed dry but had to stop cause I couldn't see!
Took a 80 MPH tumble (literally, damn deer) a year and a half ago with the armored mesh (Scorpion Jacket and First Gear pants) and walked away in great shape, as the gear did it's job.