Author Topic: A fool's electrical question...  (Read 4847 times)

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
A fool's electrical question...
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »
As an amateur killer of batteries (  I have not yet received any sponsorship offers ) I have aced three of them now, and in order to take my game to the next level I thought I might follow some of the clever suggestions that have been generously offered.

So I've ordered a battery happiness indicator.

 http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Readouts/Kuryakyn-Black-L.E.D.-Battery-Gauge-for-Harley-Davidson/144361.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw2MOhBRCq-Nr87_j-lDASJAAl4FNh61KS3dMDTUpX7RoG8MbkbQJLxb04jJG1UiNtP-32UxoCItvw_wcB

And now that we're having an untimely heat wave in February ( YOU ! Over there, in the midwest ! Sit back down and quit shouting ! ) I figure I'll plug a fourth battery into the beast and maybe get a few rides in before the freezing forties return.

I also thought that following this suggestion -

" And wire the driving light relay to turn off with the ignition "

might be a good idea.

My initial reaction was to wire the driving lights into the headlight wires. Since they're on their own switch, I figured no harm.

The battery happiness indicator I've no clue, but it said " Simple two wire connection - even an idiot could hook it up ! " or something like that, so maybe straight off the battery terminals ?

I pose these questions here in the hopes that some snow-bound, rain-sodden Guzzista will find a momentary joy in giving me clear instructions on the correct way to attach these two doodads to my upcoming fourth battery.

Thanks to all of you -

 :bow:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:05:56 PM by normzone »
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »
Battery in the Bassa? Is it 20AH?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

Offline Triple Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5930
    • Lakeland Services Company
  • Location: North Central North Carolina
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:42:24 PM »
The battery happiness indicator I've no clue, but it said "two wire installation" or something like that, so maybe straight off the battery terminals ?

There's bound to be some parasitic drain from the meter.  You can measure that and decide if you want to wire it so it's on all the time, but I suspect it's more drain than would be tolerable.  One alternative is to wire it though the ignition switch, but then other loads will make it read lower than battery voltage.  The ideal way would be to have a small relay at the battery, controlled by the ignition switch, and powering the meter.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:43:24 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

LaMojo

  • Guest
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
I have one of those on my Quota.  Damn - I didn't know it was an exclusive Hardley accessory.   Just wire in into your headlight circuit that way you would have an electrical load nearby to read an accurate voltage .

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14140
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »
My initial reaction was to wire the driving lights into the headlight wires. Since they're on their own switch, I figured no harm.

The battery happiness indicator I've no clue, but it said " Simple two wire connection - even an idiot could hook it up ! " or something like that, so maybe straight off the battery terminals ?

For driving lights, feed those from relay contacts that are feed from the battery. Feed the coil from whatever you want. I suspect you can get a fused harness from someone already made for that job.

If the meter is wired directly to the battery and left on, it will drain the battery. You should switch it with the ignition.  I run mine after the ignition switch. the little pilot light in the headlight is a good place to get power. It will not give true battery voltage, but will give you the voltage AFTER the ignition switch. And that is a good thing in my opinion because you may catch an ignition switch or connector failing.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline radguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 7351
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
As an amateur killer of batteries (  I have not yet received any sponsorship offers ) I have aced three of them now, and in order to take my game to the next level I thought I might follow some of the clever suggestions that have been generously offered.

So I've ordered a battery happiness indicator.

 

Norm Old Man,
Before the happiness indicator...  there is an underlying issue if you have eaten Three (3...! ) batteries on the Bassa...

Just sayin'

Best,
Rob

08 Norge 1200 GT
04 EVT
01 V11 Sport
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'86 LeMans 1000
'80 SP 1000 Two (2) actually
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'76 Honda CB550 Four
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

'68 VW
'73 MGB

The Journey is the Reward

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »
Yeah, and the underlying issue might be a couple of factors.

One of them appears to be between the seat and the handlebars.

Battery one died because I figured checking the fluid level in it could wait a year or so - it went dry during a heat wave.

Battery two died because in changing my speedo cable I unwittingly pulled loose a connection to the regulator.

Battery three cause of death theory (as yet unproven) is that the low fuel level indicator is shorted - it came on for the first time AFTER I filled the tank, stayed on, and the battery crapped out a few days later. I've disconnected it and could find no vampiric draw after that. I've yet to test the sensor itself - the weather turned cold and I quit riding ( Those of you sitting in the seats reserved for the east coast ? Please restrict your comments to professional language )

But you are correct - I continue to throw batteries at the bike. Each time I do so the charging system numbers look good, and I ride away happy and praying.
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline cruzziguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6151
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
What I'd do:

First - I takes out my Leatherman and I....

Aw hell, who'm I kidding? I'd call for AAA help on my cell phone! :evil: Will they respond if it's deactivated?


Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »
Well, I have considered carrying a spare battery in the saddlebag - it costs about the same as a tow and is less embarrassing.
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »
Boy, did I fool them !

I went to the mo'cycle store ten minutes before they closed, and asked if they had a battery that would fit my 1999 Moto Guzzi.

They looked in the computer, checked in the cross reference book, then confirmed that number against another cross reference chart, and offered me the

YUASA AGM YIX30L 12 Volt, 30 amp-hour, 385 cold cranking amps, high performance maintenance-free battery

I won't divulge what I paid for it, since that would be embarrassing.

But then they offered me the deal I usually refuse - the lifetime warranty for an additional $25.

I asked " What if the bike spits a regulator and kills the battery itself ? "

They responded with " We don't care, just don't drop the battery and break it, and don't lose the receipt".

So, knowing my battery fatality rate, I paid the kill fee and took my battery home.

Here's the new numbers -

Key off     13 V
Key on     12.4V
At idle      12.5V
At cruise reves     14.6V

Was I suppose to check cranking with the plugs disco ?

So, a ride coming up today...
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14140
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
You are seeing 14.6V at high revs from a Bassa?
Unusually high from that system. Nothing particularly wrong with that though.

Hope that stand behind that warranty.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline Murray

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3053
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
You are seeing 14.6V at high revs from a Bassa?
Unusually high from that system. Nothing particularly wrong with that though.

Hope that stand behind that warranty.

For the Ducati charging system that is bang on spec, it shouldn't go higher than that at any rpm.

Offline Tom H

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3804
  • Location: So. Cal.
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »
Sounds like you got a good battery. AGM from Odyssey is what I use, but Yussa is supposedly good as well.

The numbers look about like what I get on my 2004 Cali EVT, but I'm not sure of the 14.6V. I get near that I think, but about 3500-4000rpm.

Good luck!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
1973 R75/5 LWB
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 9600
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
  That thingy with its' happy lights is just an inaccurate voltmeter.  Get a real volt meter, digital, from 0 to 20 volts, and wire it in so that it is only on when the ignition is on.  It will cost about ten or twelve dollars
 and be accurate to a tenth of a volt.  You will learn a lot more about the status of your batteries from a real volt meter than a happy gauge.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:37:39 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline pat80flh

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 276
  • Location: Finger Lakes area of NY
Re: A fool's electrical question...
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »
Clean up the regulator mounting, make sure it's getting a good ground.  I crimp an eyelet on a piece of wire and run it from the regulator bolt to the frame or block. An extra redundant ground.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here