Author Topic: Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans  (Read 2420 times)

lucydad

  • Guest
Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
All,

So two weeks ago my Triumph 675 STRX quit on me at speed, and would not idle.  Managed to get it home, but I was on road shoulder, very high traffic, etc  Took it into dealer and problem did not happen on ride in.  In between I did adjust clutch free play and tighten the knurled knob part on clutch handle.  Techies test rode it (did not repeat idle issue), hooked to computer (no codes), refreshed ECU, updated firmware, adjusted clutch and chain, checked an exhaust sensor.  Test rode bike twice:  told me it is running great, come get it.

So, who knows on the gremlin.  Damn I hope it does not happen again.  They said they really found no issues with the bike, and mentioned it is still "breaking in" at 3000 miles.  So, we will see.  I hope to have confidence in the bike's reliability.  Been thru this kind of stuff with various cars and such, and it can really be frustrating. 

Is there a possibility the clutch was dragging, and hence idle being killed?  And I fixed it with the small tweak of free play to "a nickel" and tightening the lock nut?

I plan on talking to Mike Haven at MPH about the V7R Guzzi canister and hot start issue.  I also think the bike could use a new front tire at 14,000 miles, it is getting a bit thin.  Hope to have both bikes ready for longer rides.  Plan on rigging V7R out with my large bags for camping....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:17:00 PM by lucydad »

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »
 Greg , a dragging clutch would not explain the higher RPM issue . Any chance the Triumph was washed just before the problem ?

 Dusty

lucydad

  • Guest
Re: Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »
Dusty,

Nope, bike was not washed, nor ridden in heavy rain in a long time.  Dry and garage kept.  Yeah, I figured the minor clutch adjustment would not cause the idle-NOT.

Fingers are crossed it does not happen again.  Thinking about the cut out:  it was one of the most hazardous events I have had while riding a motorcycle. Glad I was not on freeway, but Hwy 90 was bad enough.

 I think the dealer techs really looked it over hard though, two test rides, etc.  If the Triumph ends up like my 1977 VW Scirocco--- totally unreliable, no fixes, etc:  it will get sold or traded fast.  Love the bike, and so yeah toes crossed too.  Will report on results when next ride happens.  Lots of rain coming, and some other diversions first.

Thanks...

Offline krglorioso

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1534
  • Location: Burnet County, TX
Re: Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:49:08 PM »
Contact Brian Reynolds ("bpreynolds") of this forum.  He's an expert on wrenching the Triumph Street Triples and Thunderbirds.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29701
Re: Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 05:42:40 AM »
Quote
I also think the bike could use a new front tire at 14,000 miles, it is getting a bit thin.

 :shocked: Uhh, not many canyons around there, eh?  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Triumph STRX gremlin story and V7R plans
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »
:shocked: Uhh, not many canyons around there, eh?  :smiley:

 Unless you count a couple of underwater tunnels  :shocked:

 Dusty

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here