Author Topic: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Just got to thinking that most Guzzi folk like good or cheap anyway buys. Thought there may be some interesting buy stories. I have two that come to mind.
First is a Remington Model 34 .22 rimfire bolt action. They were only made for three years in the 30s and are excellent and very accurate rimfire. I paid $14 at a local hardware store for mine in the late 60s when I was in Jr. high. Still have it and still use it. Only my marlin 39A can match it for accuracy and then only with certain ammo whereas the Rem. doesn't seem to care about brand.
Second is a Bulgarian Makarov in 9mm Mackarov. Bought it in like new condition, even still had cosmoline in it. Paid $115 about 10 years ago from a pawn shop. Has never jammed, not even once. It is accurate and easy to clean. My only complaint is the small military style sites.
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline Demar

  • Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1125
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »
My Marlin Stainless Lever 30-30 was a good buy.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline atavar

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 861
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »
The best deal I ever got was on a Marlin .22 WMR bolt action rifle.  This was back in the day when Wally World had their no questions asked return policy so I just kept returning them until I found one that would shoot sub MOA.  The rifle still shoots a dime sized group at 100 yards in still air from a rest.  The best squirrel gun I have ever had. 50 yard head shots are a breeze.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:20:33 PM »
I have a Marlin 30-30 I've never really learned how to shoot properly - on the list of things to do. And keep returning rifles until you've cherry picked the best of the lot ? Too funny.

"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
 Does my $3.00 spud gun count John ? Not much good for hunting , but it will knock a big old dent in a minivan from 50 feet  :shocked:

 Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29701
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
When Hi Standard was going out of business..  :sad: A gun dealer friend bought several. He sold me a Victor for $75. It's the most accurate pistol I've ever fired. He "gave" me a 22 magnum derringer that fits in a wallet.. wallet included. It didn't fire, but I welded and machined it so it would.  That is definitely Guzzi content.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16855
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »
when I was 9 years old I got a Monkey Wards .410 single.  Took down many a squirrel and rabbit with it.  Still have her.  Haven't shot it in 30+ years.

.410 is probably the best thing for someone going after squirrels, rabbits, snakes and the like.  Probably the best first firearm for youth.

I think it was $29.00


« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 07:58:58 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Aaron D.

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5882
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »
When Hi Standard was going out of business..  :sad: A gun dealer friend bought several. He sold me a Victor for $75. It's the most accurate pistol I've ever fired. He "gave" me a 22 magnum derringer that fits in a wallet.. wallet included. It didn't fire, but I welded and machined it so it would.  That is definitely Guzzi content.  :smiley:

I bought one of those "run-out" Victors. Worked well for me while competing, sold it for a profit to a fellow.

So now I have a Hi Standard Model A. Still reasonably priced, shoots nicely.

Come to think of it almost every firearm I've had has been a good deal, with the possible exception of a Mini 14. I couldn't shoot that
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:59:20 PM by Aaron D. »

Online RinkRat II

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2294
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »
 Back in the late 70"s I bought a H&R 686 pistol but it only had the .22 rim fire cylinder 25.00. Took about four years at various gun shows to find the Magnum cylinder  and had it fitted. Great little plinker and the Magnum seemed more accurate.  In 99 I traded it at a gun show in Phoenix for a Walther PPK Stainless .380 and have never looked back. Great little CC.  Gets dirty, throw it in the dishwasher :evil:


   Paul B :boozing:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:44:57 PM by RinkRat II »
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Hymes Inc.

  • Guest
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
My Mossberg 500 has been very reliable. My Hi Point 9mm was $120 new with a box of ammo, that gun has been very reliable also. Best gun deal I've gotten was a Traditions trapper 50 cal muzzle loader pistol. Found it on sale for $150 new. Most fun I have shooting a gun.

Offline OlDogface

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
 I've shot everything from an MLRS down to a BB gun. I trained as a US Army Unit Armorer and served in the position for nearly two years. I was very active in both military and civilian shooting clubs "back in the day."
 
Rifle - Another vote for a Marlin Lever action 30-30s. Great for left handed shooters, very accurate due to the bolt design, nearly as quick as a semi-auto in the right hands but all states legal for hunting. Overall, a great choice for deer hunting at reasonable ranges.

Shotgun - Remington 12g pump. Can easily go all the way down to birdshot and up to slugs with the same barrel. Good accuracy, easy to find, reliable, and cheap. Can go from deer to pheasant. Short barrels and low velocity double aught loads are easily available if you feel a need for a serious home defense weapon. Hell, just the sound of the pump sliding would probably run off most criminals.

Pistol - Glock 19. Versatile, easy to clean, concealable, lightweight, enough power, bulletproof design, recognizable as a "real" gun if needed for deterrent purposes. Back in my Army daze we were still using Beretta 9mm's but I believe the Glock has become a favored frame form the military in this century.

 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
ʉۥ Robert Pirsig

Offline atavar

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 861
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
After seeing it mentioned I have to concur that my Hi-Point 9mm that I got for $87 brand new has been great.  It is the ugliest gun on the face of the earth but it goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger no matter what ammo I cram through it and it has survived several camping trips including rain and dust storms with nary a malfunction.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline SmithSwede

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2191
  • I don't want a pickle
  • Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »
Great thread John.  I've got plenty of stories, but here's my best.

My all time favorite gun is a 5-screw K-38, 6" barrel, in .38 Special, made in early 1950s.  It had been shot so much that even the back of the cylinder face had silver rings from where the cartridges sat.  Silver spot on breech face around firing pin hole.  Heavy cylinder turn line. 

A good friend of mine (now sadly deceased) spotted this gem at several gun shows, but everyone passed on it due to the supposed "wear."   He told me because he knew I was a nut for old Smith revolvers.

I finally saw it about 5 months from the original sighting.  I realized immediately it was an old Bullseye shooter's center-fire pistol.   Yes, no doubt tens of thousands of rounds had been through it, but all mild lead wadcutter target loads.   Timing and lock-up was perfect.   No end-shake.  Perfect bore and forcing cone.  No rust or abuse.  Just honest wear and loving care.

It had a SA trigger pull such that when you tried it, you just got a stupid grin on your face and you shake your head.  DA pull was stupid excellent.  Somebody had dry-fired the snot out of this, resulting in a perfect trigger action. 

I snapped it up $275.   Because who wants an ancient "worn out" .38 revolver these days?

It is my all-time favorite handgun.

I became NRA Distinguished Revolver (#102) in about one year with that "worn out" gun. 

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
Only one gun I really made money on (that I bought originally).  AK, Norinco MAK actually.  Bought it for $400 and about a year later sold it for $600.  Just good timing.

The one that I bought and kept that was a good deal.  Polish P-64.  9mm Makarov.  $129.  Was a great little pistol.  Gave it to a nephew.

Most of my guns have been handed down or given to me and all are great shooters.  The Python is my favorite target gun.  Favorite plinker is a 1903 Colt Auto.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
My mother's first purse gun was a Python. She was a little rough on it, but I still have it.
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline sliphorn

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 193
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 11:28:05 PM »
Just got to thinking that most Guzzi folk like good or cheap anyway buys. Thought there may be some interesting buy stories. I have two that come to mind.
First is a Remington Model 34 .22 rimfire bolt action. They were only made for three years in the 30s and are excellent and very accurate rimfire. I paid $14 at a local hardware store for mine in the late 60s when I was in Jr. high. Still have it and still use it. Only my marlin 39A can match it for accuracy and then only with certain ammo whereas the Rem. doesn't seem to care about brand.
Second is a Bulgarian Makarov in 9mm Mackarov. Bought it in like new condition, even still had cosmoline in it. Paid $115 about 10 years ago from a pawn shop. Has never jammed, not even once. It is accurate and easy to clean. My only complaint is the small military style sites.
GliderJohn
----------

The Makarov is an excellent pistol. I have a small collection of them; Russian, Bulgarian and East German. They function perfectly and the 9X18 Makarov ammo is cheap to boot. I bought mine many years ago when they were really cheap. Something like 90 to 100 bucks. The East German Mak was a Stasi issue weapon and it has an exceptionally smooth action. Great carry pistols!

I have other pistols chambered in 9X18 Mak; a Polish Radom, CZ83, and a Hungarian Walther type. All are very nice and function perfectly.

======

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:15 PM »
I had a 95% 1911 series 80 GoldCup that cost me $250.  Sold for $1200.  I still have a Colt Anaconda 6.5" in stainless that I bought for $325 off of ebay back when that was possible.  It's worth north of $2000 now ($2700 is not unheard of), and unobtainium new.  Ii really hope things don't get so bad that I have to let it go.  It's put down/finished a lot of game and is an excellent grouse gun (grouse can be legally hunted with non-shotshell firearms).  My go-to shotgun since the 70s is an early Ithica 37 featherlight in 12ga with the original modified choke barrel and a 25" Hastings barrel with a vent rib for grousing in scrub.  I had a screw choke installed.  I bought it for $50 in a pawn shop because it's a lefty's gun.  It has put down more game and varmints than all my other hunting pieces combined ad suffered a lot over the years.  It has held up well and will be passed down.

The best deal though was when the local dealer bought a lot of misc long guns by the pound.  I was there when he opened the cartons and cherry picked a nice Winchester 30.30 lever for $75.  I can stitch a smiley face on paper at 100yd, which is about the range I want to shoot a lever carbine.  I like it well enough that when it came time to convert some to cash last month I sold my virtually unused Ruger .44 lever and kept the dinged up Winchester.

For genuine Guzzisti content, (read that FREE), I was willed a S&W K22/convertible "combat masterpiece" by a friend.  It's mint and too pretty to shoot.  I was given a LC Smith Damascus/sxs in 12 gauge by the Dean of the Engineering college at the UW when I graduated.  It was his grandfather's and an original percussion cap conversion to centerfire cartridge.  Damascus is dangerous to shoot, but I made a batch of 'plinking' shotshells in black powder substitute and took a turkey in an antique shootoff (21/25).  That's a good score for never having fired the piece before.  I was very impressed by the gun's natural swing and point geometry.  You throw it up and it is naturally in line with my eye and the bird.  It must have been a sweet shooter in its day.  It's been a wallhanger next to the 10-ga Damascus sxs I inherited when my dad died -- also not suitable for shooting.

The worst I ever did was a free .45x.45 derringer.  No trigger guard, so it was a dangerous and illegal carry piece, and no way to control the rolling recoil of a long colt round.  I usually loaded with .410 buck or shot.  I once emptied it, reloaded, rinsed and repeated ad naseum with a covey of Ptarmigan as my target.  At about 20 feet they were completely safe from me and embarrassingly unconcerned about the noise I was making.  I finally got dinner by hitting one with a stick thrown like a boomerang.  I think those aussies are on to something there.

Offline wymple

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1178
  • Location: SE Iowa
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 01:53:16 AM »
I never bought a firearm that wasn't a good deal. I bought Chris a .17 cal Savage that is unbelievably accurate. My personal favorite is my 4x4 Mossberg in Win .270. I have a model 14 Savage that is both beautiful and accurate. And there is that old 20 gauge single shot break down Ithaca that I picked up for 25 bucks. Kicks the crap out of you.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5583
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 03:10:25 AM »
Glenfield model 778. I bought it from a co-worker for $75.00 in 1992 (first year in college). What's better than a 12 gauge shotgun? It's can be a great home defense weapon even without any shells!
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »
Quote from oldbike54:
Quote
Does my $3.00 spud gun count John ? Not much good for hunting , but it will knock a big old dent in a minivan from 50 feet  :shocked:

 Dusty

Well...I wouldn't want to be hit by a flying tater. I imagine concealed carry would be a bit of a challenge however. :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 06:26:13 AM »
Quote from Kirby1923:
Quote
When I was 14 my grandmother gave me a 1851 Navy .36 cal. pistol,(not a replica), a bullet mold and a powder flask and told me to keep the rabbits and crows out of her garden.

Now that is unique! As a kid I remember crows knowing whether I had a handgun, shotgun. .22 rifle or a centerfire rifle and always staying just out of effective range. There must be some school they go to.
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 06:28:00 AM »
Quote from Chuck in Indiana:
Quote
It didn't fire, but I welded and machined it so it would.  That is definitely Guzzi content.  :smiley:

Now why does that not surprise me.  :bow:
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 06:32:33 AM »
Quote from SmithSwede:
Quote
My all time favorite gun is a 5-screw K-38, 6" barrel, in .38 Special, made in early 1950s.

May I come by and fondle it for awhile? I would love to shoot that K-38. May have to plan another road trip. Maybe we could talk the good people at Cedarvale, KS to set up a range at the park for us.
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline Farmer Dan

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 580
  • Location: Marshall, Michigan
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
Back in the 80's I bought a Winchester model 94 Ranger in .30-30 at the local Meijers department store.  Paid $189 out the door.  Have no idea what it's worth now but it's my favorite rifle.  Wonder what it's worth today?  I miss the days when you could buy guns, ammo and beer at the same store.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline MotoG5

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 619
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
We are a family of deer hunters. As the grandkids ( one girl, three boys) came of age I started looking for appropriate first rifles. I  only had a couple of rifles at the time that were not being used by any other family members. One of my best finds was an old battered looking Remington 722 in 300 Savage caliber I picked up from a pawn shop. The scope was no good and had to be replaced but once that was done it turned out to be a great shooter. It has become known among kids as the Deer Slayer. That old gun in the hands of one kid after the other has accounted for many pounds of table fare as time has gone by. I am sure it will not wind up back in a pawn shop when I am gone. Oh ya, by the way, the grand daughter holds the family record for the most bucks taken. She is one of the best deer hunters in the family.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29701
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 04:26:54 PM »
Back in the 80's I bought a Winchester model 94 Ranger in .30-30 at the local Meijers department store.  Paid $189 out the door.  Have no idea what it's worth now but it's my favorite rifle.  Wonder what it's worth today?  I miss the days when you could buy guns, ammo and beer at the same store.

You can still do that in Wisconsin..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »
Fredonia, AZ

Judd's Auto Service and Chevron gas station

Sign on front says Lotto-Guns-Ammo-Beer (you can see it if you look it up on Google street view)

They had a nice little selection of used guns as well.  Brother and I stopped there for gas after visiting the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline JeffOlson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1643
  • Location: Oregon & Washington
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
My wife and I recently bought our first firearms. We paid "sale" prices at Cabela's, so I can't really contribute to this thread other than to say, "We have guns, too, and we like them!" (My wife is from Texas and has been after me for years to get with the program.)

Because we live out in the country, where many farmers are armed and enjoy legally shooting their guns from their porches in the evening, I have come to enjoy stepping out back and shooting, shooting just for the fun of it and enjoying the smell of gunpowder!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Ted N

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Location: New Port Richey, FL
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »
I have a military M1 carbine manufactured by IBM that I purchased from the civilian marksmanship program in 1963 brand new along with the original receipt for $19.95. I also have one of the original ham cans with 600 rounds of bandalier ammo in it that I paid $9.95 for around the same time. How's that for a gun bargain. Rifle is still in like new condition and lightly used.

Ted
1996 Cali 1100C/hacked
1998 V11 EV

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: NGC - What firearm(s) did you pay little for that turned out good?
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
Yep, sometimes kick myself for not buying a 1903A3, 98 Mauser, M1 carbine each for $29.95 at local hardware store.  But, I was only 16 at the time :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here