Author Topic: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline lencap

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 21
  • Location: North Carolina
Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »
Greetings -

I recently bought a California Custom - still breaking it in.  I noticed a strong gas odor after filling the tank and letting the bike sit for a few hours.  When I filled it I did "top off", knowing that's not recommended.  After the fill I rode for 30 or so miles.

Is the gas odor likely related to overfilling the tank?  Will it clear up or do I have to do anything to clear it up?

Thanks for the help.  Almost 400 miles in 5 days, 225 to go for initial break-in!


Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
Probably.  You may have filled various vent and drain hoses and it could be a day or more before it settles down.

Offline sib

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1745
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:40:42 AM »
When you were filling the tank, if any gas splashed into the rain drain moat that surrounds the filler hole, it will flow straight down the drain hose and onto the ground.  The odor will dissipate quickly.  Simply filling the tank to capacity shouldn't cause any leakage, as long as the filler cap in on properly and the evaporative emissions control system is intact and working as intended.  If you've done a "cannisterectomy", then all bets are off.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline lencap

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 21
  • Location: North Carolina
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
Thanks for the help.  It's the first time I fully filled the tank since buying the bike last week.  I don't know what a cannisterectomy is, but if I did that, what do I need to do to fix it?

All I did was stop filling when the pump clicked off, and then I raised the pump in the tank to the top to get a bit more gas into the tank.  When I was done the gas was still below the top of the neck.  Is that enough to create a problem? 

Offline Zoom Zoom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10517
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
I generally fill mine to where you described. (The smallest diameter there below the fuel cap.) I cannot say I have ever noticed fuel odor and I usually fill the bike just before returning home. I have a station 3 miles from the house.

As for removing the charcoal canister, although I have taken it off all my other bikes in the past, I have had no reason to remove it from my Eldo. As long as everything is working properly, I won't mess with it.

In your case, maybe it was a fluke, or there is something going on. Considering it is brand new, my suggestion is to contact the dealer about it before trying a bunch of things yourself that might pose a warranty denial. After all, you do have a warranty.

John Henry

Offline Sasquatch Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 9600
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
 Stop eating at Taco Hell.  Maybe gas odor will subside.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline bobbyfromnc

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 301
    • Bobby Writes
  • Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina!
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:47 AM »
Stop eating at Taco Hell.  Maybe gas odor will subside.

LOL

Offline lencap

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 21
  • Location: North Carolina
Re: Gas Odor on New California Custom - Overfilled tank?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:59:49 AM »
Thanks for the help.  Success!  After riding for 60 miles or so there is no longer a gas odor!

Just to be safe, I did stop eating Taco Bell too!  :grin:

It's been a week since I bought the Custom and I couldn't be happier with the bike.


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here