Author Topic: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Gramps_Guzzi

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Location: Lancaster, PA USA
Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
I am attempting to remove the fuel tank on my 2012 Norge but can not disconnect the fuel line.
Any tips on how to do this?

Mike

Offline Scott of the Sahara

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 721
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
If this is the same disconnect as the 2008 version, I found information at Guzzi Tech that was helpful. If this is the same one, you basicly stick a small screwdriver into the 4 splines that hold it. Once you have loosened a couple of them, it will slip off pretty easy. I have done mine twice in the last month. I am always worried about breaking that plastic fitting coming off of the tank.
Be very careful.

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
It has to have no pressure in line, disconnect electric plug, try start bike. Then grasp line in palm w/forefinger and thumb on the grey ring. Push line & coupling towards red elbow, pull back ring towards line at same time as pushing line forward, then yank line and coupling back to pop off. BE VARY CAREFUL not to beak elbow.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

Offline Gramps_Guzzi

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Location: Lancaster, PA USA
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply and information.

That worked and I did not break the fitting.
Amazing how much stuff is tucked into the frame on this bike, sure doesn't make it easy to work on in a home shop.

pete roper

  • Guest
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
So is it a roller top end or has it been rollerised?

Offline Gramps_Guzzi

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Location: Lancaster, PA USA
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
This one has had the roller tappet modification completed.

pete roper

  • Guest
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
Golden! :thumb:

Offline MGrego

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • Posts: 466
  • Location: Texas
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Why are you removing the tank ?  Inquiring minds want to know......  I've had mine off twice, once to rollerize and once to replace the oil pressure switch.  Replacing it was a bit of an adventure too..

Offline Gramps_Guzzi

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Location: Lancaster, PA USA
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 06:58:55 AM »
I needed to access the air filter housing in order to re-attach the small drain line located at the rear of it. Somehow this drain had become disconnected causing an occasional drip of oil onto the exhaust system which resulted in smoke. Don't know when the drain became disconnected but wonder if it may have been at the tappet job which was done by the dealer prior to my purchase of the bike.
Anyway it's fixed now, no more smoke.
What an adventure into working on this bike!

thanks,
Mike

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14343
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
On mine I've always been able to hold the elbow with my little finger wrapped around and ease the fitting away with my thumbnail as it were.
You are isolating the elbow from any undue bending forces this way.

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14343
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »
Anyway, you can buy the little pliers with appropriate ends the just pop the fittings off easily.

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »
Anyway, you can buy the little pliers with appropriate ends the just pop the fittings off easily.
I think I've seen these pliers packed in sets of 3-4 different sizes.  I've got to find these, since it seems silly to continue going through this exercise each and every time I remove the fuel line from the pump.  Any sources?  And what size works with the connector on our bikes?  I think this deserves a trip to the local Summit Racing store.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:42:50 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline dl.allen

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 517
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 10:45:12 PM »
While u are in there with airbox out secure the neutral indictor wire connection on the sensor with a zip tie.  Mine was loose and intermittent.  It a sloppy spade connector on top of a plug

Offline tris

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2898
  • Location: United Kingdom
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 01:00:03 AM »
I think I've seen these pliers packed in sets of 3-4 different sizes.  I've got to find these, since it seems silly to continue going through this exercise each and every time I remove the fuel line from the pump.  Any sources?  And what size works with the connector on our bikes?  I think this deserves a trip to the local Summit Racing store.

Bob

The green ones and mine were on Ebay
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1301
  • Location: Lancaster, PA
Re: Fuel line disconnect on 2012 Norge
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
Anyway, you can buy the little pliers with appropriate ends the just pop the fittings off easily.

If I check Advanced Auto, what would the name of the players be called?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline tris

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2898
  • Location: United Kingdom
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here