Author Topic: Back to Guzzi  (Read 6968 times)

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Back to Guzzi
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »
I've had far too many bikes than I should have (if that's possible).   My wife reminds me of that every day.  I've had lots of Harleys, Indians, BMWs, Triumphs, and 2 Moto Guzzis.  My first Guzzi was a Norge.  It was a fun bike but after a short period of time I realized it wasn't the kind of bike I wanted.  I'm more into cruising.  I traded it for a California touring.  That may have been my favorite bike of all time.  I put a Corbin seat and backrest on it and a tour pack.  My wife certainly felt it was her favorite.  But I also had an Indian touring bike at the same time with a tour pack and lots of other goodies and after a period of time I felt that I just didn't need two bikes that served the same purpose.  As much as I loved the California I decided to keep the Indian because it was more comfortable for me on longer trips.  I sold the California and ultimately traded the Indian in for another one when they came out with the new infotainment system in 2017.  I love the Indian and even help out at the local Indian dealership on Saturday's when the weather is nice.  But I missed having a smaller bike to play around on.  There's lots of small country roads where I live and the size of the Indian can sometimes make it more of a chore to explore them.  I started looking at adding a second bike again and, remembering how much I loved Moto Guzzi's, ultimately decided on a 2017 V7 Stone.   The bike is going to be delivered in the next week or so (no rush because of the weather).  I'm really excited about riding a Guzzi again and getting to know some of the other Guzzi riders in the area.  The last time I owned Guzzis I lived in another city so hopefully I'll be meeting new people.  I've also noticed that this forum seems to be more active than when I followed it before.  I'm really enjoying reading all the posts in anticipation of getting the bike. So now I'll have an Indian and Moto Guzzi in the garage again.  It should be fun!

Offline Zoom Zoom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10517
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »
Welcome back, although you didn't need to disappear before. :wink:

Anyway, I get your point of view. I think many share your thoughts. Bigger for touring and smaller for enjoying the rest.

John Henry

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
I'm really excited about riding a Guzzi again and getting to know some of the other Guzzi riders in the area.  The last time I owned Guzzis I lived in another city so hopefully I'll be meeting new people. 

So, what area would that be?
Charlie

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
First Guzzis were in Charlotte.  Now in Cincinnati. 

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20004
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
Welcome back!  :thumb: There should be a sizeable Guzzisti group in and around the Cincinnati region. :cool:
Here is my two motorcycle solution right now... :wink:

1. 2014 Victory Vision for long distance touring / 2-up riding with the wife  :smiley:
2. 1998 Moto Guzzi Centauro GT - for my solo rides / Guzzi events in the Southwest and SOCAL :smiley:







Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

Offline Zoom Zoom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10517
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
Welcome to Ohio then. There is a SW Ohio breakfast the folks down that way put on if that is something you might be interested in. Also, our Ohio Guzzi Rally is Labor Day weekend in Zanesville. We have dorms available if you don't want to camp. You still need bedding. Contact me if you need more information.

There is a great rally in Kentucky as well. Toward the end of September a little North of Frankfort.

All, of course, are always welcome regardless of what they ride in on.

John Henry

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
Welcome to Ohio then. There is a SW Ohio breakfast the folks down that way put on if that is something you might be interested in. Also, our Ohio Guzzi Rally is Labor Day weekend in Zanesville. We have dorms available if you don't want to camp. You still need bedding. Contact me if you need more information.

There is a great rally in Kentucky as well. Toward the end of September a little North of Frankfort.

All, of course, are always welcome regardless of what they ride in on.

John Henry


Sounds like there's gonna be a lot to do.  I went to a Moto Guzzi rally off the Blue Ridge Parkway one year.  It was great.  I already saw something about the one north of Frankfort.  I'll probably do that one. 

Offline kballowe

  • - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3105
  • Location: Villa Ridge, Missouri
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »
Did I miss it?

Which model are you getting ?

Year?

-or- just looking ?

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »
You missed it!   2017 V7 stone.   

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4630
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Of all the bikes I've had-130 hp to 21-the V7 stone (MY 2015) is my favorite ever.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online blu guzz

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1458
  • Loves to ride
  • Location: Northern Kentuycky
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »
Sgl:

Welcome to the area.  I live in Northern KY.  The Frankfort rally is really good.  I was in BMW-land for years until Blu came along.  Compared to most of their rallys, the Guzzi rally was much more fun.  It reminded me of the BMW rallys from the late 1990s where more people knew how their bikes worked.  With the older airhead bmw's gone, most of those folks are "check riders".  IE, they can no longer take care of them, so they write checks.  Much of this is due to the current design of the BMW that are now hands off for the most part instead of when they prided themselves on the fact that owners could maintain their machines.  With the Guzzi folk, you will find many, many older ones (bikes and riders too) that are restored and maintained by owners.  The setting is sublime by the river and the facilities are very good.  Roads are excellent. I would be happy to show them to you if we meet up some time in the future.

Tom
Blue Guzz

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »

Sounds like there's gonna be a lot to do.  I went to a Moto Guzzi rally off the Blue Ridge Parkway one year.  It was great.  I already saw something about the one north of Frankfort.  I'll probably do that one.

Charlie

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
I’m gonna try to make it to that one. 

Offline kidsmoke

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1560
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
  • Location: Indiana, USA
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
welcome (back) into the fold SGL. There's a few of us up Indianapolis way as well that like to gather from time to time, and make it a point to hit that Kentucky Rally.

There will be an Vintage/Custom event in Indy first weekend of June, and we're making a bit of a Guzzi event around it, you'd be most welcome.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94313.0

Of all the bikes I've had-130 hp to 21-the V7 stone (MY 2015) is my favorite ever.

Hadn't heard this conclusion before! That's quite a testimony. I was hoping to get lucky in Enzo's raffle last week, no such luck. I sure do like the looks of the V7

SGL, is that new bike coming from Cadre in Cincinnati?
'79 G5      (Gina)
'93 1000S (Monica)
'00 Jackal  (Claudia)
'09 GRiSO  (Perla)

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 01:06:22 PM »
Yes, bought it from Enzo. 

Offline Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3597
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
 :gotpics:

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
Don’t have it yet.  Getting a few parts added. 

twowings

  • Guest
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »


Benvenuto di nuovo a casa tua ... :thumb:

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »


Benvenuto di nuovo a casa tua ... :thumb:

Wow, beautiful. did someone say something about a bike of something?
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline msullivan

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 62
  • Location: Monroe, Ohio
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
Yes, bought it from Enzo.

Congrats on ur purchase!!!  I have 2 I bought from Enzo.. 14 Cali Custom and a Annivesario..I have not been to a Rally yet .. Thinking about one this year.  I also need to get up to a SW Ohio Breakfast also..
Guzzis in the Stable

2017 V7III Anniversario #448
2014 MG California 1400 Custom

Offline OldMojo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 723
  • Career of Evil
  • Location: Dayton, OH
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
Tomorrow's your chance!

9:00 at KJ's in Germantown across from the hardware store. Gonna be a bit frosty, but recognition awarded to the hardcore!
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 08:35:59 AM »





The bike was delivered and now I need the weather to cooperate.  I'm waiting for the brown tank strap to come in.  I think that will look nice with the seat.  And other than adding a small tail bag and phone mount, that's about it.

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »




And this is my other ride.  I think I'm set for a while as there's no more room in the garage. 

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »
Sgl:

Welcome to the area.  I live in Northern KY.  The Frankfort rally is really good.  I was in BMW-land for years until Blu came along.  Compared to most of their rallys, the Guzzi rally was much more fun.  It reminded me of the BMW rallys from the late 1990s where more people knew how their bikes worked.  With the older airhead bmw's gone, most of those folks are "check riders".  IE, they can no longer take care of them, so they write checks.  Much of this is due to the current design of the BMW that are now hands off for the most part instead of when they prided themselves on the fact that owners could maintain their machines.  With the Guzzi folk, you will find many, many older ones (bikes and riders too) that are restored and maintained by owners.  The setting is sublime by the river and the facilities are very good.  Roads are excellent. I would be happy to show them to you if we meet up some time in the future.

Tom
Your comment stating "when (BMW) prided themselves on the fact that owners could maintain their machines"  had me recalling the Users Manual (not a Service Manual but the Users Manual) provided instructions and illustrations on adjusting the valves on my 1991 R100GS.  I don't believe (from experience) oilhead valve adjustment is any more difficult ...... I think BMW lost faith in suggesting owners perform their own maintenance.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:00:32 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3597
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »





The bike was delivered and now I need the weather to cooperate.  I'm waiting for the brown tank strap to come in.  I think that will look nice with the seat.  And other than adding a small tail bag and phone mount, that's about it.

 :thumb:  :bike-037:

Offline Guzzi Gal

  • MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1686
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
  • Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
:1: Congrats! :bike-037: 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline twhitaker

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 8323
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
I host the breakfast. Come on up!
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline tasdisr

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 178
  • Location: SW Ohio
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 07:47:26 PM »
I also bought my V7 II Stone from Enzo. Great people to deal with. He installed the Hepco & Becker C-Bow bags for me last year and is going to be installing some Mistral pipes in a couple of weeks.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline sgl0226

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
I host the breakfast. Come on up!

I'm gonna try to make it.  I help out at the Indian dealership in northern KY on Saturdays so I'll have to work out the details.

Offline Darren Williams

  • Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1085
  • Life is too short to go slow!
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Back to Guzzi
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
Your comment stating "when (BMW) prided themselves on the fact that owners could maintain their machines"  had me recalling the Users Manual (not a Service Manual but the Users Manual) provided instructions and illustrations on adjusting the valves on my 1991 R100GS.  I don't believe (from experience) oilhead valve adjustment is any more difficult ...... I think BMW lost faith in suggesting owners perform their own maintenance.

My Hex Head R1200 is about like a new Guzzi as far as maintenance is concerned, pretty easy and straight forward to do. Difference is if anything else goes wrong you have to get a second mortgage on your house to afford parts (way over priced). And it seems the dealers charge 1-1/2 time what my old the Guzzi dealer did for labor.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here