Author Topic: V7 III clutch ?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline RRider

• New Egg
V7 III clutch ?
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
I've noticed that there's quite a lot of discussion around clutch with V7 models. Especially about proper clutch adjustment.

Being a Japanese bike owner at the moment, I'm not used to paying much attention to clutch - it just works and it's enough to check/adjust (rarely) the cable movement at maintenance intervals.

Is there a mechanical or design reason in V7 Guzzi that requires more attention to the clutch (free play or point of opening), or is this all clutch talk just a statistical bias in forums? I know V7 has a dry clutch, but in principle this should not cause any more frequent need for adjustment than a wet clutch.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Re: V7 III clutch ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »
RRider,

You're talking about clutch cable adjustment, or about the clutch plates themselves?

I'll assume it's the cable adjustment.  Some manuals recommend only 1mm of lever free play.  Be careful, and too much is better than too little.  Too much play can make the clutch drag and gear change notchy.  Some people set the clutch with too little play, because it makes the gear change easier.  Do not set the clutch play too tight as a “fix” for this.  Especially since the small block 1st gear can be picky, requiring one to press on the gear lever while the clutch is let out, to make sure it engages. 

Too little play can lead to clutch wear and slip.  It makes the throwout bearing spin all the time, wearing the pushrod and bearing, and the clutch may slip, letting it heat up and wear.   

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »
The V7 dry clutch is more like an automobile clutch than what you find in the typical Japanese bike.  My experience with multiple Guzzi models has been that the clutches are about as dependable and require about as much care as my car/truck.  Of course a random machine can come off the assembly line and end up with problems.  That is not common with the V7 but I'm sure you can find someone who has had a clutch problem. 

Being cable operated you really don't have many places to make an adjustment.  At the lever, make sure you have left a bit of slack in the initial take-up so the clutch is not engaged when you take your hand off the lever.  There is an adjustment down at the bell housing.  I cannot remember messing with that adjustment.

Smarter folks will offer a more technical discussion. 

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
2017, V7 III Racer w/ABS.

I was hugely annoyed by a very spongy front brake, from new. Near crashing once when the lever pulled to the grip and the rear brake was hardly better I took it to the dealer. He went through 2 computer controlled flush/fill cycles b4 satisfaction.
I'm still not thrilled, but learned 'They're all like that', after pedaling around a new Anniversario and a Special. I had tried bleeding the brakes 3X. 2X with the lever bound to the grip over night. Which would give good braking for ~30 miles.

I've had 4 bikes w/ ABS. The earliest in '93. None of them were as sloppy? as this one. I cannot feel the ABS cycling in a planned panic stop, front or rear. Or don't they do that any longer. Is it telling me I'm way too old to ride quickly? R3~

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:33:47 PM »
V7 III as above. Sorry for the misstep.

The clutch play on my bike was virtually imperceptible. To bar the possibility of a dragging clutch I tried to adjust it. I could not get proper slack and thought the cable had stretched. I tried allowing more lead on the cable by loosening the near zero adjustment on the back of the gear box. It turned out the cable, as installed is short for the job. Plus it's threaded badly under the fuel tank forcing its way betwixt wire harness and frame elements. The consequence is too much induced drag and a hard pull caused by excess friction betwixt cable and housing. My son found slightly better routing resulting in better feel and pull.

After more than 60 years of riding, maybe 20+ mc's (one w/ hydraulics), I have never broken a cable. I'll replace the cable one day soon w/one an inch or 2 longer.  R3~

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
To the OP ... on a V7 iii ... maybe adjust the clutch cable around the first service (~900 miles) ... then maybe once more before 5000 miles.  In other words, no big deal.

As some have pointed out, you can make it too tight (and cause some issues) ... and you can ignore it and let it get to lose (and cause some issues).

And if you are making an adjustment, turn the bars full right, full left, and notice the free play as it may vary (like full left might be a bit tighter than straight or full right).

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »

I was hugely annoyed by a very spongy front brake, from new. Near crashing once when the lever pulled to the grip and the rear brake was hardly better I took it to the dealer. He went through 2 computer controlled flush/fill cycles b4 satisfaction.
I'm still not thrilled, but learned 'They're all like that', after pedaling around a new Anniversario and a Special. I had tried bleeding the brakes 3X. 2X with the lever bound to the grip over night. Which would give good braking for ~30 miles.

I've had 4 bikes w/ ABS. The earliest in '93. None of them were as sloppy? as this one. I cannot feel the ABS cycling in a planned panic stop, front or rear. Or don't they do that any longer. Is it telling me I'm way too old to ride quickly? R3~

I've only ridden 2 v7 iii bikes, and both had decent front brakes.  Not dual disc Brembo monobloc awesome front brakes, but decent lever feel, not spongy.  Maybe your dealer is not so sure what they are doing?? 

As for ABS, I haven't noticed it activating on the front (and have not purposely tested it) ... it has activated in the rear, was kind of an odd feeling, like some pedal pulsing, but I was quickly past the gravel that caused that and braking was normal again. 

Does the service manual cover the bleeding procedure??
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
To the OP ... on a V7 iii ... maybe adjust the clutch cable around the first service (~900 miles) ... then maybe once more before 5000 miles.  In other words, no big deal.

As some have pointed out, you can make it too tight (and cause some issues) ... and you can ignore it and let it get to lose (and cause some issues).

And if you are making an adjustment, turn the bars full right, full left, and notice the free play as it may vary (like full left might be a bit tighter than straight or full right).
This sounds right, well at least on my earlier Mk I model.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »
 I cannot feel the ABS cycling in a planned panic stop, front or rear. Or don't they do that any longer. Is it telling me I'm way too old to ride quickly? R3~

On my V7 III Stone I can feel the brakes 'release' when the ABS kicks in but there's no noticeable cycling or pumping as with earlier systems I've had on bikes. Feels like a click in the foot or hand lever. I wouldn't say my brakes are mushy but they're not as rock solid as the Griso with dual fronts and stainless lines.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
I have lubed my V7 III Special's clutch cable and adjusted free play at the lever to 2mm. It hasn't varied in 7800 miles, and works fine.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:16:56 AM by JACoH »

Offline RRider

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
Thanks all....I can also see that a guy like me, coming from Japanese bikes makes easily mistakes here: in my current bike the recommended free play at the lever is 10-15mm.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
RRider, take a look at the V7 III parts list as shown by AF1 Racing  http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3049&description=V7+Special+III+OEM+Parts+Catalog  and you will see that the V7 has a single clutch plate, not the stack of plates you find in your Japanese bike (most of them).  That might explain why your free play is 10-15mm while the V7 is only 2mm...fewer plates to get apart.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
RRider,

Same as you, I came off a Honda Shadow Cruiser which has a shit lot more slack required than my V7 as well, and same as you, I was concerned over it for sometimes until I just learn to ride with it after I set it to 2mm or so.

I used to check my slack like EVERY ride...but honestly I think I truly required to adjust maybe 3 times of what I can remember.

First when I got the bike and learning its friction zone
2nd when I was doing my 1st service @ 600 miles
Third time was @ 6100 miles before she went to sleep for the year, even tho it was like ~1/8 turn at most to bring it back to 2mm instead of maybe 2.5mm???

I could probably have left it alone...but I am anal :P

anyway, tune it up, get it within spec but not too tight, and get riding  :thumb:

ya my full left is always tighter compare to full right...changed by maybe 0.5~ish mm?...when turn handle bar straight, it will have about another 0.5mm more than my full right...

So I set my based on the full LEFT @ 2mm lol...

so far seems to be working :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:33:50 PM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »

The ABS brakes on my V7iii have bedded in nicely.  When I first got the bike I was hot to do a brake upgrade via Todd at GuzziTech, and still may, but lately I have been finding the brakes at minimum ok and maybe actually good.  I do practice panick stops and can trigger the ABS cycling on both front and rear at speed (60-80mph).

I would say the brakes fall between those on my KTM690, which is just acceptable, and those on my BMW1200GSA, which are very good.  I test rode a new BMW RT the other day and the brakes were extremely good, producing a good howl before the ABS kicked in.

Not sure what could be wrong with your bike.  Perhaps the ABS module is not functioning correct, or perhaps you do need to really hammer harder on the brakes.  It should not be that hard to feel the either the ABS cycling on the rear only or to lock the rear wheel if the ABS is not working.  Locking the rear is pretty safe if you know what to do.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here