Visit the Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Store
4.8L/100 (49 miles / USg) is remarkable for a large bike like the Norge IMHOYou are getting even better which is amazing.I think the ECU calculates the rate by injector open time / speed, it doesn't have any way of actually measuring the volume, It wont take into account fuel pressure which is a square root relationship.I think the biggest single factor on fuel consumption is the rider, you must be doing something right.I don't see anything that will make the light flash, once it drops below the operating point of the thermistor.
It's all down to Beetle and RoperI know I can get 500 k to a tank @ 90-100 kph.460 to dry @ 120-130. At realistic hwy speeds, the light will come on @ 400 so you can safely do another 50 k's @ 110-120, but at those speeds you'd be walking in another 20 k's.
I'd say the speedometer is off by 10%. Kiwi Dave has the right idea -- forget the actual mileage stuff and make your notes according to the reported distance (even if it's 10% wrong it will be consistent) and observed fuel consumption. The idiot light is nice, but it's named its name for a reason. Me, I don't pay attention to the low fuel light. I plan my fuel stops by miles ridden, with respect to the FAA.
Too many assumptions.1. The dash implies accuracy that is not real.2. Have you ever measured the capacity of the tank after you've spluttered to a stop? This is the real capacity of your tank, not what it takes to fill an empty tank.3. Consumption will vary, especially with ambient temperature and to a lesser extend how active your right hand is. Also elevation plays a significant influence.4. Tyre diameter(s) will vary with temperature and wear.5. All bets are off if you have a power commander or reflashed ECU.I've run out of gas on numerous occasions before I realized that this ain't an exact science. Unfortunately, doesn't stop me trying again; slow learner!
:1: what Kiwi Dave said. I use a very simple algorithm: Light come on -> find fuel dispensary soonestAlso, stop showing off with your 500km per tank. My light comes on around 215 on a cruise, and I reckon I'd be bone dry by 260.
I THINK that on my B11a) It tends to flash on and off a bit but due to the surge in the tankb) Once the light comes on steady it shows the mileage you do after that point - NOT how far you can go be for it all ends in tears
I can't really make sense of your volumes because they are proper metric, and my mind won't work that way at the moment. My 07 B1100 has a very accurate speedo, so I doubt yours is off by much. Yet I never get accurate readings from the computer for MPG/L. It always reads low, but if I understand it you got something close to 50mpg US, that's really good, better than I have ever got.
I'm in awe, Huzo. My Breva 1100 has improved from 5.4L/100km to 4.8L/100 (dashboard readout) since Roper put Beetle's 1200 map on it. And I can verify the change by mental maths at the pump and the change in the fuel gauge needle. But I've bailed out at 373kms, though the pump indicated that there was plenty of fuel left in the tank.
So that was the secret a following wind and you set a spinnaker off the front of the norge for down wind lolSent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Huzo, stop it. Trying to figure out the dash fuel calcumalation will be your undoing. This way madness lies.