Author Topic: Shipping question for the frugal members  (Read 1820 times)

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
Shipping question for the frugal members
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm talking to a fellow Guzzi rider about buying some wheels from him. He came back from UPS who want $195 Canadian to ship the two wheels & $64 Canadian to pack them from British Columbia to central Ohio.

Seems a bit steep to me. Does anyone else have a cheaper suggestion ?

Thanks
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Shipping question for the frugal members
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »

Seems a bit steep to me. Does anyone else have a cheaper suggestion ?

Thanks

Yes, find someone else to buy them from. Preferably closer to home and in the US.  Otherwise, ask for bids on Uship. But you may still get saddled with brokerage fees or some other tariff.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Go get them yourself.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »
Wheels are bulky and heavy, and UPS does the brokerage internally (even for non-dutiable items, as most motorcycle parts are).

You may be able to get them shipped more cheaply by using a non-traditional service, such as Greyhound package service (depot to depot). However, any shipping will always be rather expensive even over a similar distance in the US.

BTW, that price is CDN? If so, deduct about 23% for the currency conversion - might not be so bad at $200 USD.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »
Have them shipped Canada Post, probably need to box them separately, ground shipping, will take 4 ~ 6 weeks.

Greyhound does not cross the border.

This is the Canda Post shipping calculator, for a 20" x 20" x 8" box - 16 lbs, $87.00 CDN  (about $67 US)

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s3
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:27:14 AM by canuck750 »

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »

Some of the bus companies used to carry parcels for a huge savings, Greyhoundand, Concord and others.  I cannot say what the customs issues are crossing the border though...

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
The bus has fewer stops than it used to.  When we tried shipping greyhound, the depot was over 25 miles from us and 70 miles from the recipient.  The cost was close to the same as postal service, shipping was estimated in weeks, and if you didn't arrive to pick the parcel up within a time window, storage was charged.  This is a true description of a transaction between us and another WG member.  He might want to jump in and confirm.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:42:28 PM »
The bus has fewer stops than it used to.  When we tried shipping greyhound, the depot was over 25 miles from us and 70 miles from the recipient.  The cost was close to the same as postal service, shipping was estimated in weeks, and if you didn't arrive to pick the parcel up within a time window, storage was charged.  This is a true description of a transaction between us and another WG member.  He might want to jump in and confirm.

Prior to this fiasco I'd had good luck with greyhound. Shipping cost have plum gone out of sight Rodekyll would get a shipping estimate and it was almost more costly.

Tex

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »
I forgot to mention that Greyhound information lists closed and nonexistent stations as active and available.  We would not have attempted to ship greyhound if we knew ahead of time that the destination was so far from the recipient.  The website listed the station a couple miles from him in Redwing.  It was actually near Minneapolis, halfway across the adjacent state.

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
Prior to this fiasco I'd had good luck with greyhound. Shipping cost have plum gone out of sight Rodekyll would get a shipping estimate and it was almost more costly.

Tex

I forgot to mention that Greyhound information lists closed and nonexistent stations as active and available.  We would not have attempted to ship greyhound if we knew ahead of time that the destination was so far from the recipient.  The website listed the station a couple miles from him in Redwing.  It was actually near Minneapolis, halfway across the adjacent state.

Interesting, as I recall Normzone and I used Greyhound to send him a screen for his Aerofoil fairing and that was hands down the best rate.  That was three-ish years ago..? ? ? 

Things change I guess...  plus the fact that I was sending from the Northeast to a huge metropolis was probably a big factor, no long rides to pick up or storage fees.  I did need to be punctual at the time of sending the parcel, not sure about Normzone's end.

rad_

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

canuck750

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
I have tried to ship things on Greyhound from Phoenix to Canada, they won't ship across the border, don't know why, they just told me they won't.

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »
Thanks all,

I'm going to ask the seller to bolt the wheels together & see what Canadian Post can do.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »
I have tried to ship things on Greyhound from Phoenix to Canada, they won't ship across the border, don't know why, they just told me they won't.

Greyhound Canada and Greyhound US are separate companies, and they don't have a brokerage house, so that likely explains that issue. I have picked up stuff just across the border when using this method, bringing it back myself; the OP is in Ohio which makes it a bit of a swim, but for those closer on either side of the line it may still be a viable option.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
Canada Post rates are not cheap anymore either, at least you are paying in Canadian dollars, try it the other way around ! Then you would have something to moan about.  DonG

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here