New Moto Guzzi Door Mats Available Now
Need to keep it simple.Probable have to have a desktop as that's what the wife's used to.We don't do much with it,just pay bills and have a printer hooked up.I don't even know how to set a new one up although I do have an external hard drive connected so hopefully I can get the new one to resemble the old PC.The old one has Windows 7.My daughter says take this opportunity to go to a Mac.Any suggestions?
What "Windoze" do I supposedly pay for? Never paid for any of it. <shrug>
I sure wish someone could come up with a stable, reliable system that doesn�t need constant updates can�t be hacked or get viruses and worked as well as our Guzzi�s.
Well yes you did. Even if you bought a "refurb", those people have to pay a licensing fee to Microshaft and pass it along to you. You could have bought a "bare bones" machine without an OS for a little less money, installed linux (I'm content with simple Ubuntu), and be safer in the long run as well.Patrick HayesFremont CA
If you let a young person buy you a computer, you may end up with something more complicated than you need..
Nobody seems to be addressing the "I have an external hard drive". Those files will be Windows based. Mac isn't going to read them without Boot Camp intervention. Even if you partition a drive and has Win (whichever iteration) installed, you'll be stuck learning two operating systems to make reasonable use of your computer.If you buy into Apple's closed architecture you are stuck there. Do you use Office? There's a brand new expense if you migrate to OS. And, once in Apple it is very difficult to exit. Almost like it was planned.
Just get an Asus Win 10 laptop for a couple hundred. Hard to beat for general web surfing and emails.
Since no one seems to be offering an opinion here... To be open, I am not a Mac person.I would question the premise of the OP's statement, "Old guy needs new computer". What is the reasoning behind the perceived need? Might have an important bearing on the upgrade. Hardware failing? Failed? Becoming slow? Is it the advice of a Mac person who is tired of helping maintain your setup? If the problem is diminished performance, huge improvements can be made by cleaning the software up, removing bloatware, adware etc..If you are technically challenged when it comes to computers, you may find it overwhelming to switch from PC to Mac. You may like the streamlined user interface, but it will at minimum take some getting used to.