Author Topic: Can we at least get a state?  (Read 6491 times)

Offline egschade

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1745
  • Eric S - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
  • Location: Northwest, NJ USA
Can we at least get a state?
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:48:25 PM »
Been a board member for a while now and really enjoy talking with everyone. One thing that bugs me though is that many members don't put their location in their profile. I understand the whole privacy thing but is it asking too much to at least provide your state? If I know I'm heading to a particular direction it's nice to know if fellow Guzzi owners are possibly along the route for either a friendly meet up or 'just in case' there's a problem. I also like to have some idea of where folks are to possibly share a thought or experience I may have had near them.

What's prompted the request is groundhog105's post about doing the 4-corners ride and asking for regional route advice. Wouldn't it be nice for them to know where help or advice may be while on this grand adventure?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:49:15 PM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2016 V7 Stornello #394

Past Guzzis:
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark
1985 LeMans 1000
2020 V85TT Adventure
V65 SP
V7 III Stone
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni (yeah, I should have kept it)
Breva 1100
EV Touring

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:52:24 PM »
 Some of us are in the witness protection program  :shocked:

 Reality is I know what state most of the members live in , and if you have a problem on the road , a quick post here will usually suffice in finding help .

 Dusty

Offline stonelover

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 206
  • Location: Berkeley County, WV
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
Agree that a location would be nice to have.

Offline Tom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 28883
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
Where are you at?   :grin:  As a member of MGNOC, they have the list of the members that can help but I'll bite.  I'm in Kailua Kona, Hawaii but current location won't trump experience.  I have a bike in PHX.  I use to keep one in Sandpoint, ID.  4 at Harper's and one in NYC.  I don't think I'm unique. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉 Hawaii.

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
It's that darned "perceived risk" thing again, that all of us are subject to in one way or another.

There are some things that I am afraid of, that I probably don't need to be, and other people are NOT afraid of.

There are some things that I am NOT afraid of, that maybe I should be, and other people ARE afraid of.

It really depends on the "thing".   One thing that many people don't like to do (I don't want to say "are afraid of") is to post anything about their location on line.   They're afraid (oops, I said it) that someone will take that information and use it in some way to their detriment.

Maybe that's wise.   But it's never worried me.   I've drawn many a map to my place on line, and anyone can search my posts and find out just where I live.   The reason is that I like for motorcycle people (including and especially Guzzi people) to come by if they have a chance, and the enjoyment I get from that outweighs the fear that someone might come by and harm me because they saw my location on line.

Again, that's just one thing.   I tried standing on top of a mountain with a couple of little planks strapped to my feet and sliding down it in the snow once ... I'll NEVER do it again.   The pleasure I'd get from it is FAR outweighed by the fear that I'd get out of control and break a bone or hit a tree George of the Jungle style ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline yogidozer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2920
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »
state of confusion

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
state of confusion

 Which of course is home to the ball of ... :huh:

 Dusty

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:30:08 PM »
What you're asking for is the BMWMOA "Anonymous" Book.  Oops, sorry ..... wrong brand!  I travel with my latest copy of the book whether I'm on Beemer, Guzzi, or whatever.  Only needed it once.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline yogidozer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2920
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
Which of course is home to the ball of ... :huh:

 Dusty
Kinks. or land of confusion, Genesis. easy to confuse the two.
what were we talking about?  :shocked:

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »
Kinks. or land of confusion, Genesis. easy to confuse the two.
what were we talking about?  :shocked:

 Temptations .

 Dusty

Offline ccoli

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2117
  • What? Me Worry?
  • Location: The Great White North
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
I'm not hiding.  Y'all come over and visit,  eh?
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, 2-78 Robins, 32 Sport15, Ambo/EV custom.

Offline Mr Revhead

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 453
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
State? it's a worldwide site! Why is it a common thing for Americans to assume everything is in the US? I see it on many sites and facebook pages.

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 07:48:40 PM »
State? it's a worldwide site! Why is it a common thing for Americans to assume everything is in the US? I see it on many sites and facebook pages.

Yebbut, what have we got among regular and casual posters?   About 10 from Australia/Tasmania, 10 or so from the UK, a couple from SE Asia, nobody from Africa, 10 or so from Europe, 2 from India, no one from Russia ... and 1000 from the US/Canada?

If you assuming everyone's from North America, you're hardly far enough off to be wrong.   

And if that's not close enough (and it's not, honestly), what's wrong with just assuming "state" means province or county or whatever political subdivision you got?   Kent, or Schleswig-Holstein, or Alberta, or Jalisco, or Centre-Val de Loire, or Gujarat, or Cagliari?

We're always complaining that we don't have enough members from outside North America anyway, so let's get EVERYONE'S location while we're at it!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Bill Owens

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 275
  • Location: Vermont
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
Just listed mine.

Offline radguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 7351
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »
Some of us are in the witness protection program  :shocked:

  Dusty

 :grin:   :laugh:   :laugh:
08 Norge 1200 GT
04 EVT
01 V11 Sport
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'86 LeMans 1000
'80 SP 1000 Two (2) actually
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'76 Honda CB550 Four
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

'68 VW
'73 MGB

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Devildog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 562
  • Location: Alamogordo, NM
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
Well, I gave full disclosure on where I live on this forum several years ago and no repercussions so far. Probably have Luap's firewall systems to thank for that!
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline webmost

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 410
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
  • Location: Newark, Delaware
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
DullAware

Paranoia will destroya
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Markcarovilli

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1081
  • Location: NE Ohio
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 08:47:54 PM »
Temptations .

 Dusty

That’s what the world is today.......

Mark

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 08:50:04 PM »
if any of you fellers are hung up near th 78th yard stick on I 44  in Missouri, get on the forum and I�ll be your huckleberry. Glad to help.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline nwrydre

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 01:31:23 AM »
Longview Washington


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Yukonica

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1096
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
  • Location: Yukon Territory, Canada
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 01:59:48 AM »
I'll see and meet more Beemers heading for Dust to Dawson than I ever will of any of you lot. But if you are riding a bike with the cylinders placed correctly I'm much more likely to buy you a beer and listen to stories of where you've come from.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline yogidozer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2920
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 05:16:30 AM »
Temptations .

 Dusty
yeah, there's a lot of confusion!

Offline rjamesohio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2244
  • Location: Waynesville OH
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 06:26:13 AM »
Been a board member for a while now and really enjoy talking with everyone. One thing that bugs me though is that many members don't put their location in their profile. I understand the whole privacy thing but is it asking too much to at least provide your state? If I know I'm heading to a particular direction it's nice to know if fellow Guzzi owners are possibly along the route for either a friendly meet up or 'just in case' there's a problem. I also like to have some idea of where folks are to possibly share a thought or experience I may have had near them.

What's prompted the request is groundhog105's post about doing the 4-corners ride and asking for regional route advice. Wouldn't it be nice for them to know where help or advice may be while on this grand adventure?
I agree that a state/province/general area would not seem to hurt.

There are several reasons why this info can be/is useful:

1) it’s always great to meet people who share any passion. Many of us end up as friends that way, and of course you can never have too many of those.

2) you’re traveling and have a mechanical issue and could use a hand/part/access to tools you may not have room to pack.

3) ride/rally lists. I’ve hosted a couple rallies in the past, and have a list but it’s not likely to be current. New people so come and go.

I get why people might not want to post to the world your exact address. But - just brainstorming here - what if this info would only be shared with - and even then with a ‘switch’ so it could be turned off - MGNOC members?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh
9372715697

Offline Daniel Kalal

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3256
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »
MGNOC members?

MGNOC members have always had a list of members who have agreed to be on it, which includes additional information such as phone numbers, and relevent help they can provide.  The PDF file is easily stored on your phone.  It's a useful thing; I've used it.

<=== real name, real photo, real state (mostly).

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6319
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
Some of us are in the witness protection program  :shocked:

 Reality is I know what state most of the members live in , and if you have a problem on the road , a quick post here will usually suffice in finding help .

 Dusty
“Witnesses protection program “ 😂👍👍

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
MGNOC members have always had a list of members who have agreed to be on it, which includes additional information such as phone numbers, and relevent help they can provide.  The PDF file is easily stored on your phone.  It's a useful thing; I've used it.


Also easily folded up and stuck under a seat or the bottom of a tankbag or pannier ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »
I complied with this request when it was brought up some years ago. I agree that some questions/topics would be easier to address if a region was available. It also serves to remind us that our world is a little smaller than it used to be. It’s a valuable insight to understand where other people are coming from; both literally and figuratively.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:07:14 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Thunderbutt

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 181
  • Location: Clearwater, Florida and Hiawassee, Georgia
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
I have met some of these guys,  the last thing I want is one of them showing up in my driveway!!!!!!    Haaaa haaaa just kidding guys.  I always look forward to meeting other members.

  Jerry
Clearwater, Fl
Current rides:, 2002 LeMans,  2020 V-85TT Travel, 2019 DR650

Offline yogidozer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2920
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
I have met some of these guys,  the last thing I want is one of them showing up in my driveway!!!!!!    Haaaa haaaa just kidding guys.  I always look forward to meeting other members.

  Jerry
Clearwater, Fl
right, you live in Florida, enough looney's around  :wink:

Offline davedel44

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1445
  • Location: Galveston Island, near the coast of Texas
Re: Can we at least get a state?
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
Dave

Galveston Island near Texas.
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here