Author Topic: PostImage Locked  (Read 1636 times)

Offline pehayes

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4806
    • Falcone Touring
PostImage Locked
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
A few months ago we had issues with hosting offsite photos on PhotoBucket.  I moved my stuff to PostImages.org.  Last night I had trouble loading some images.  This morning I found the following warning.  I have some web pages with dozens of pictures linked from postimage.  None of those photos will now load to display.  I'm screwed.  It is going to take forever to reconstruct all the links.





Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: PostImage Locked
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
The wave of the future, I'm afraid, as we all get comfortable with the technology, with no enforceable contract behind it to make sure we keep the use of it.

The people who control the technology will control US if we let them.

I like on-line picture posting of our puppies, motorcycles, and favorite scenery, but I'm not going to get too used to it!   :copcar:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: PostImage Locked
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
A major PITA and a cautionary tale for sure. 

Offline ajpjive

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Location: Lansing, MI
Re: PostImage Locked
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »
Shoot, sorry to see another image hosting site crapping out. Have you tried Imgur? I've been hosting pictures with them for years, and its been pretty seamless. Without downloading their app the mobile interface is relatively garbage, but it works quite well on the standard desktop version.
2002 BMW 1150GS
1995 Guzzi 1100 Sport
2009 Kawasaki Versys 650
2001 Buell Blast

Offline pehayes

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4806
    • Falcone Touring
Re: PostImage Locked
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
It seems they have resurrected their storage structure on another domain and have managed to keep all of the references intact.  So, it might be as simple as a global 'find and replace' in the coding on my pages.  Maybe just an hour or two of work.  We'll see.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline ITSec

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3040
  • Location: Southwestern US
Re: PostImage Locked
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
A few months ago we had issues with hosting offsite photos on PhotoBucket.  I moved my stuff to PostImages.org.  Last night I had trouble loading some images.  This morning I found the following warning.  I have some web pages with dozens of pictures linked from postimage.  None of those photos will now load to display.  I'm screwed.  It is going to take forever to reconstruct all the links.





Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Looking at that screenshot you posted, have you tried accessing your images at the .cc site it mentions? From what they said, I'd guess that their company was using a .org domain when it was not supposed to (theoretically those are for non-profits, social organizations, etc.). They may have just re-homed their domain to a .cc and carried all the website with it...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here