Author Topic: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)  (Read 3559 times)

Offline radguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 7351
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA

So I am always on the look out for another Triumph because I cannot kick the habit.  Last year I bought another T-160 to replace the one that I had foolishly sold twenty seven years earlier.

Having a real thing for the twins I came across this '78 T-140 V that is a non runner, right up my alley.  By the late 70's the five speed had been improved over the earlier iteration and with dics brakes this really appealed to me. 

Needs the carb-a-shooters rebuilt (note that they are off the engine) it came with new complete kits, not just gaskets but the replacement float needle valves and body screws etc.  I actually enjoy refurbing the Amals.

A bit tatty with some minor red chrome but hey, she's forty years old and nothing missing except the rear grab rail.  Electronic ignition, came with new coils, directionals and some cables an other bits.

Unlike Rough Edge Racing, I did not get lost in NYC to find the bargain Triumph.  Not as much of an adventure however, a great score non the less.

Best,
Rob








08 Norge 1200 GT
04 EVT
01 V11 Sport
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'86 LeMans 1000
'80 SP 1000 Two (2) actually
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'76 Honda CB550 Four
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

'68 VW
'73 MGB

The Journey is the Reward

Offline JoeKirby

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Location: SE Ohio
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 01:45:25 PM »
Wow, except for the black background on the badge, that could be the bike I sold last year after owning for 34 years.  Don't miss it yet but I am sure I will someday.  Beautiful bikes.

My favorite rides:
1978 Triumph Bonneville
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2007 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Moto Guzzi V9
Beechcraft BE24R

Rough Edge racing

  • Guest
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
 Well that looks quite nice, in fact very nice.....30 percent sulfuric acid in water(about a quart total mixture) in a plastic bucket will remove the peeling chrome on the brake discs in about 1/2 hour..The non plated discs stop better, paint the non braking surface.. Dilute the used acid in the pail and pour in down the toilet.It's commonly used to unclog drains....face mask and gloves and don't breathe the fumes...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:41:29 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5584
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »
Got a pic of the T-160? I've always lusted after Tridents.
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online nc43bsa

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1500
  • Location: Mooresville NC
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
Well that looks quite nice, in fact very nice.....30 percent sulfuric acid in water(about a quart total mixture) in a plastic bucket will remove the peeling chrome on the brake discs in about 1/2 hour..The non plated discs stop better, paint the non braking surface.. Dilute the used acid in the pail and pour in down the toilet.It's commonly used to unclog drains....face mask and gloves and don't breathe the fumes...

Will that method remove flaking chrome and nickel on grab rails?
1990 MilleGT

Rough Edge racing

  • Guest
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 05:33:55 AM »
Will that method remove flaking chrome and nickel on grab rails?

  I have only experience on the brake discs.. In theory use, use one process for chrome and another for nickel... Google "stripping chrome with sulfuric or muriatic acid" lots of into including electrolysis using a 12 volt battery...

Offline radguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 7351
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
Got a pic of the T-160? I've always lusted after Tridents.

Me too.

'75 T-160 Trident...



08 Norge 1200 GT
04 EVT
01 V11 Sport
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'86 LeMans 1000
'80 SP 1000 Two (2) actually
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'76 Honda CB550 Four
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

'68 VW
'73 MGB

The Journey is the Reward

Online Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3596
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »
Way to go Rob.  :grin: Hope you enjoy the new toy.

Offline rdbandkab

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1521
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
Saw a fellow at a gas station on a cool older Triumph on our last day ride.  He didn't have any mufflers on the thing!!!! And it actually sounded pretty good!  Not loud at all.   I couldn't tell you how it ran.....


Offline bigbikerrick

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6077
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 04:58:57 PM »
Beautiful Triumph, Rob! I bet that thing is a blast to ride. I have never ridden an old Triumph, only one of the newer Bonnevilles, around an 07. I bet the vintage one is much cooler to ride.
 :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5584
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
oooohh, 1975 T-160,  :drool: IMO that's the one to get with disk braking and canted forward cylinders! I'd be torn between that version and the first series with the boxy bodywork and raygun exhausts.
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline radguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 7351
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
Well that looks quite nice, in fact very nice.....30 percent sulfuric acid in water(about a quart total mixture) in a plastic bucket will remove the peeling chrome on the brake discs in about 1/2 hour..The non plated discs stop better, paint the non braking surface.. Dilute the used acid in the pail and pour in down the toilet.It's commonly used to unclog drains....face mask and gloves and don't breathe the fumes...

Cool, I'll try the sulfuric acid, I need to go through the brakes anyway, prolly seals and hoses.  The Lockheed units are good for needing a rebuild after have been dormant for even a short time. 

Thanks Edge.


Beautiful Triumph, Rob! I bet that thing is a blast to ride. I have never ridden an old Triumph, only one of the newer Bonnevilles, around an 07. I bet the vintage one is much cooler to ride.
 :thumb:
Rick.

They are a blast to ride Rick, the Twins handle great, the Trident is no slouch and that Triple song is magnificent.

Way to go Rob.  :grin: Hope you enjoy the new toy.

Thanks Shorty.  I have long thought of going with a new (Hinckley) model Triumph and have even tried them out but I have not done that yet, the soul of those older Triumphs just does it for me.


08 Norge 1200 GT
04 EVT
01 V11 Sport
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'86 LeMans 1000
'80 SP 1000 Two (2) actually
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'76 Honda CB550 Four
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

'68 VW
'73 MGB

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »
oooohh, 1975 T-160,  :drool: IMO that's the one to get with disk braking and canted forward cylinders! I'd be torn between that version and the first series with the boxy bodywork and raygun exhausts.

That was the BSA Rocket 3...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:20:15 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
That was the BSA Rocket 3...



Yep, the BSA version had the canted-forward cylinders, but the BSA company died a sudden death before the Rocket Three could get disk brakes .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rjamesohio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2244
  • Location: Waynesville OH
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
Got a pic of the T-160? I've always lusted after Tridents.

Turin - I can help you here... the only bike I ever thought was possessed by demons was my Trident.  It would run - or not - based upon its own whims seemingly. I remember a guy coming to look at it and i prayed it would start. It did, and Inhaiplkt never saw it again.

Now my T120s - those were a different stiry


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh
9372715697

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »

It did, and Inhaiplkt never saw it again.


Inhaiplkt (for those who are wondering) was a Cree woodland spirit inhabiting chestnut trees.

When the chestnuts all died, he then possessed people's spell-checkers and is there to this day ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rjamesohio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2244
  • Location: Waynesville OH
Re: Another Triumph in the garage... and I did not get lost. ;)
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 09:46:06 PM »
It moved from the chestnut tree to my T150. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh
9372715697

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here