Author Topic: Let's talk iridium plugs  (Read 6269 times)

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
Let's talk iridium plugs
« on: March 05, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »
No screaming, yelling, name-calling, lamp-throwing, knuckle-busting here.

But give me some recent experiences with iridium plugs (namely on a V7 Classic, if any of you folks have tried). Plugs seem to be like oil - everyone has a different opinion, often a strong one, and I'll probably just end up trying iridium plugs to see if I like them or not.

In the meantime, let's have some personal anecdotes and see if I can make an even more educated decision. Thanks friends!

:popcorn:
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

oldbike54

Re: Let's talk iridium plugs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:45:57 AM »
 Why you little (bleeped) , you should be (bleeped) ashamed of your (bleeped) self for asking such a (bleeped) question on Saturday morning and (bleeped) my morning  :coffee: HMMFFP , (bleeped) troublemaker . What the (BLEEP) ????

Seriously , don't they cost like $500.00 a piece ? :laugh:

Dusty

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:50:11 AM »
They only retail for $12 for the BR8EIX plug  :thumb: :whip2:

I've seen them on amazon for $8  :cool:
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
Leafman posted that he had good results from the Denso iridiums in his Stelvio.  I've got a set on the bench for when the Griso comes back from being rolled.  $8.50 each.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=70882.0

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
Got them in the LM 1000.

Nippon Denso

So far they have been great, could be my imagination but you seem to get a fatter spark

Here in the UK they are pricey but nowhere like $500 more like $30-40

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
I've put them in both of my DR650's and they seem to perform no differently that the stock plugs they replaced. At $6.99 per I don't think they were a waste of money but they are also not panacea.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76976.0

A quick search for Iridium at the top right brings up lots of info about this, some of it recent.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »
The only model they don't work in is a 2012 V7 :violent1:
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

redrider

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
I have used regular flavor plugs in everything for decades. The old days of having the "wasted spark" had the plug also fire on the exhaust stroke. Purportedly to reduce fouling and ignite any residual mix for emissions compliance. (Hogwash imo) It was,IMO a way for one coil to fire two cylinders in the I4 UJM. Problem-plugs only lasted 1/2 at best of the same plug in a distributor design. Plug fires and a small amount of materiel is vaporized for the sake of ignition and the gap widens with age. Special materials mean less wear according to those who sell special things. Spark depends on voltage delivered which allows wider gap and more exposure to the mix with higher voltage. Guzziology covers the issue well. Fancy=snakeoil my 2c

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 08:54:14 AM »
My 2004 Prius came with iridium plugs and I like the fact that they're supposed to last for 120,000 miles and they actually did last that long.  They are not claimed to work any better than standard plugs, give more horsepower, or better fuel mileage, etc..  For motorcycles, we riders tend to be the sorts who cannot leave well enough alone, and I doubt that any of us would not replace spark plugs more often than that.  If you are going to be constantly fiddling with your bike and changing spark plugs frequently anyway, it seems to me that iridium plugs are a waste of money.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »
The "thin wire" plugs sure helped with the old 2-strokes when first available. Not so sure with modern 4-strokers and lead free fuel!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:07:57 AM by jcctx »

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
Spark plugs wear out during normal operation because the gap increases (erodes) and the electrical system (coil, wires, etc) can not jump the larger gap.  The iridium plugs (I've also seen platinum used) have an iridium electrode.  That material erodes at a slower rate. 

Iridium costs more than the steel material normally used for the electrode, so the cost of the plug is higher.  The operation of the engine is not going to be different, regardless of the plug that is used.  The only difference is that the plug with the precious metal electrode will have a longer useable life.  It really is a cost/benefit decision -- does the higher cost of the iridium plug give you enough longer life to justify the higher price?

Ride safe.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
Spark plugs wear out during normal operation because the gap increases (erodes) and the electrical system (coil, wires, etc) can not jump the larger gap.  The iridium plugs (I've also seen platinum used) have an iridium electrode.  That material erodes at a slower rate. 

Iridium costs more than the steel material normally used for the electrode, so the cost of the plug is higher.  The operation of the engine is not going to be different, regardless of the plug that is used.  The only difference is that the plug with the precious metal electrode will have a longer useable life.  It really is a cost/benefit decision -- does the higher cost of the iridium plug give you enough longer life to justify the higher price?

Ride safe.

Yeh I agree that iridium is not, by itself, going to help a motor run better; it will make it run the same longer.  But I can also say with certainty that some plugs work better than others in a particular application.  Leafman said that those Denso's made his bike stumble less at lower rpms and I figure it's worth the shot to try them as my bike doesn't like 3k and below.  It could be they work well in the application regardless of the material.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »
Used them in my V7C almost since new and really like them. You won't notice any difference in performance, but they wear practically forever. Have a set in my Triumph with nearly 40K miles and still runs like new. I buy from sparkplugs.com for a better price.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »
Brad and I were in the pits helping (hindering)  :smiley: Jim Barron of Rose Farm, and he handed the Kid a couple of iridium plugs to put in the race bike. He winked, grinned and said, "the owner believes in them, but they won't make it run a bit better.." He also said when he pulls a plug from a bike that's in for service, it gets a new one. Many subtle problems are caused by plugs, and they are so cheap it makes sense for him to do that.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

canuguzzi

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
I'll jump in (throw me a life preserver).

Iridium and platinum were only developed by auto manufacturers to extend the time between required services and use that as a marketing ploy.  Neither one conducts as well as an old fashioned copper plug.  The multi-electrode plugs are also a marketing ploy.  Electricity is going to take the path of least resistance to get to a ground.  Only one of the electrodes will ever get used.  The electrode on copper plugs erodes quickly, so the plugs need attention every few thousand miles and they probably need replacing at about 10k.  That's just too much for some people, so they get out their wallets.  Platinum plugs are probably a happy medium.

BTW, do not attempt to gap platinum or iridium plugs.  Both have platinum coated ground electrodes (the part you bend to set the gap).  The platinum will crack when you bend the electrode and eventually fail and flake off.

:thumb:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
I'll jump in (throw me a life preserver).

Iridium and platinum were only developed by auto manufacturers to extend the time between required services and use that as a marketing ploy.  Neither one conducts as well as an old fashioned copper plug.  The multi-electrode plugs are also a marketing ploy.  Electricity is going to take the path of least resistance to get to a ground.  Only one of the electrodes will ever get used.  The electrode on copper plugs erodes quickly, so the plugs need attention every few thousand miles and they probably need replacing at about 10k.  That's just too much for some people, so they get out their wallets.  Platinum plugs are probably a happy medium.

BTW, do not attempt to gap platinum or iridium plugs.  Both have platinum coated ground electrodes (the part you bend to set the gap).  The platinum will crack when you bend the electrode and eventually fail and flake off.

From my experience, standard type spark plugs can last 20,000 miles in some modern engines with no decrease in performance. On many newer vehicles changing plugs is a major project and a long life plug is a labor saver.....Unless it seizes in place from being in the engine for 100K miles...
   I use NGK "G" fine wire spark plugs on my vintage Triumph race bikes. They are replaced after about 4 runs down the 1-1/2 mile track...Not because of wear but potential  fouling because of high tetra-ethyl lead content in the racing gas

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
As for standard plugs, I found using an extra-reach plug in my Gilera 106 single let me adjust the idle nice and low. 
Getting the spark further into the combustion chamber was a big help at low speeds and it idles beautifully now.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
My 2v Norge has platinum plugs (moderate price) for the outer units (easily changed), and iridium plugs (not cheap, but not that bad) for the inner, hard to reach ones. I change the outer ones about every 20,000 miles, and the inner ones after about 40,000 - but not until I have another reason to pull the airbox!

As has been noted, the benefit is how long they last, not how well they work. Since the Norge is used for long-distance riding and gets around 25 to 30K a year (unless I'm sick or broke), I always opt for whatever extends my service intervals without compromising reliability.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 02:07:05 PM »
  I will not longer pay double for exotic plugs for my Norge.  The recommended replacement interval is 6750 miles and the bike runs better with fresh plugs. The Denso iridium's do work and last longer well but even they seem to run better fresh. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 02:18:47 PM »
  I will not longer pay double for exotic plugs for my Norge.  The recommended replacement interval is 6750 miles and the bike runs better with fresh plugs. The Denso iridium's do work and last longer well but even they seem to run better fresh.

But unless I'm mistaken, the newer motor has two plugs, not four - and they are placed where you can easily change them (other than the plug boot question). I might go with you given that difference, though I'd still likely pay the small uplift for platinum. I've seldom noticed any difference when replacing plugs on any bike other than my RD400 back in the day...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »
My R1150R is 'sposed to have the two earth plugs which one
BMW shop wanted to charge me $37Au a pair for. I looked
around and got that down to $27Au a pair but while looking
I found Iridium equivalents in Ireland that I could get for $27
When they hit my letterbox - guess what I did.
The bike has a wasted spark system, changed the original
type around every third oil change - 15,000klms.
Iridiums have been in for 8 - 10,000 now, no real measurable
performance difference that I can feel. Guess I'll find out if
they do last longer soon, but even if they don't I'm satisfied
'Cause I didn't pay a rip off price for the essentially normal
plug and if the experiment fails will get the normal plug OS
for 1/2 the Au price in future.

Maurie.

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
My wife's car is a 1999 Nissan Maxima 3.0 litre V6. It has done 250,000 km (about 166,000 miles) and is on its second set of plugs. Iridium plugs are specified by the manufacturer. I'm real glad they last so long because they are buggers to get out.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
I run Iridium in both my Guzzi's and for good reason. Longevity, heat, detonation control and anti fouling properties(SPIII).
Both bikes have high powered ignition systems (Basically any machine with a digital ignition is considered high power). Older style nickel alloy plugs will erode the centre electrode away quickly. The SPIII fires every crank revolution with the Sachse ZDG3 ignition and uses bobbin style coils. It eats conventional plugs in a matter of a couple thousand kms. My last set of Iridiums did 30K before I screwed one up with a worn out valve guide and worn rings.

There is a lot of physics that goes into design and use of spark plugs, amongst other things, and there are plenty of sources out there with good info on why and how. Here is a good read http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/article-spark-plug-basics

Good luck

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here