Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: K250 on February 10, 2016, 06:35:31 PM

Title: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: K250 on February 10, 2016, 06:35:31 PM
Sitting here on the couch, watching Kansas work on West Virginia, my son walked by to say see ya, he is off to wrestling practice.

At the spur of the moment, all crazy like, i decided to try an official, scientific method experiment.

"Son, you wanna take my Ducati?"

"Yep"

So there you have it.

I'll start applying for grants tomorrow and maybe do a little more research.


Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Perazzimx14 on February 10, 2016, 06:39:21 PM
I have 9 of them in the garage and the daughter could care less. She did show a slight interest this summer and rode a couple hundred miles of fire roads with me. Now she' back to caring less.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: oldbike54 on February 10, 2016, 06:41:43 PM
 Either one of you guys want to adopt a 61 year old kid ?

 Dusty
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: OkJohn on February 10, 2016, 06:43:32 PM
The answer is yes!  Im young! 


Just 60.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 06:49:06 PM
62 years young.

I think a lot of the sportbike guys are young. But as I see youngies in my family what I see is generally eyes superglued to LCD screens rather than outside.

I think my generation is pretty tough. I mean, how many 60 year old metrosexuals do you see wandering around?
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Triple Jim on February 10, 2016, 06:53:46 PM
My 21 year old daughter loves to ride the 250 with me when I'm on the Mille.  My almost 20 year old son has next to no interest.  And that's OK, they both have plenty of interests in general, so they aren't staring at phones much.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: cruzziguzzi on February 10, 2016, 06:56:52 PM
I think entering the motorcycling world is less easy for current youngsters.

Was a time when a "decent" bike could be picked up on the cheap and kept running by wit, spit and a bit o' wire.

Not so much anymore.

Those "decent" bikes of the past are generally completely used up or have become collectible in their own right and so, somewhat overpriced for the entry level hobbyist.

Sure, exceptions exist but it's not like everyone knows several someones with a not-quite-clapped-out-bike to spare... one which will still provide transport and not a little fun to boot.

I just went through this for my nephew "Dr Science". We tried to get him a plodder for his new world as a Chem Prof at Princeton and all the old "stand-bys" have become classics and most new bikes leave him cold. I wanted something he would like (he's always loved my bikes) but would be OK were it stolen from the campus, reliable and nice to look at, intuitively repairable and maybe fun to tinker with.

Thin on the ground.

Sure - lots of "what about this" and "you musta missed thats" but they just aren't "trip over thick" - "please take it away but be careful" like they used to be.

Too, same could be said about autos. The draw of simplicity and learn as you go with tools from a garage sale just ain't "a thing" anymore.

Todd.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: TodkaVonic on February 10, 2016, 07:03:30 PM
As a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, I was way into CHiPs...remember? That totally average TV show with Eric Estrada and that blonde dude? The kids in my inner city neighborhood used to practice riding our bikes two abreast down the sidewalk while belting out the theme music

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci8Ga-gCqno

That show, of all things, was the source of my fascination with motorcycles. So, silly questions: 1) were any of you guys/gals similarly influenced by popular culture and 2) is there a current equivalent to those types of shows? And maybe therein lies the perceived disinterest in riding?

Nate
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:05:21 PM
That has been my trouble in searching for a new bike.

I remember the old days when the tool kit supplied with any new Japanese bike was actually enough to allow most maintenance to be done. When points and carbs would talk to you so you knew where the issue was without a computer. I know that in many ways the new tech is stunning. But if you are new to adult life and struggling to keep ahead of the bill collector the service costs of new anythings is pretty steep; just as it is subjectively costly for me.

I mean actually, would a $10,000 bike actually run for less money per mile than a new Nissan Versa? I doubt it, and a kid could put his snowboard inside the Versa and even sleep in it. Things have changed. For many the changes have been positive; for many others at the worst neutral; but for some the changes are not very helpful.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:07:07 PM
Erik Estrada!

I shot a (very strange) round of skeet with him and a few others out to Prado Tiro about 1990. Nice guy! Great shot too! And know how his teeth were as shiny as the grill of a fifties Buick? They were in real life too. he kissed my hand!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: redrider on February 10, 2016, 07:11:19 PM
I was into bikes before the TV offerings. I did however watch them. Back then we only had 1 VHF and a couple of UHF channels and programming ended at 11pm or 12am. High Flight was the sign off.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:20:38 PM
I have heard of it!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Guzzistajohn on February 10, 2016, 07:22:34 PM
Most of the 20 something's I know are more interested in playing video games and schmokin' some Colorado whacky weed.                                                                                                                                                                                         
The young riders I see have  to be extreme, doing stoppies or pulling a wheelie for a block and a half down a city street.


I see a few out on the twisty Ozarks roads, but not many.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: TodkaVonic on February 10, 2016, 07:24:13 PM
Erik Estrada!

I shot a (very strange) round of skeet with him and a few others out to Prado Tiro about 1990. Nice guy! Great shot too! And know how his teeth were as shiny as the grill of a fifties Buick? They were in real life too. he kissed my hand!

Ponch kissed your hand! That. Is. Awesome.

If you hold it up to your ear, do you hear the theme song?

Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Green1000S on February 10, 2016, 07:24:34 PM
My older daughter (20), no interest, sort of likes bikes but is scared of them. Mopeds-YES.

The younger one (18) is definitely a gearhead.
Sat on Quota back seat last 4 summers, now is getting (read: I pay..) her own KTM 390 Duke. She also rides mopeds.

So.... its 50-50.

Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HDGoose on February 10, 2016, 07:30:03 PM
Motorcycle are no longer the cheap transportation they once were. Reliable small cars, with heat, a/c radio can be had for $3000. A set of tires will last 50k on a car and cost $400 or less. One set of 12k tires on a motorcycle will cost $300 now.

And I will be selling my 1997 Moto Guzzi Cali 1100i in a few months for $3000. Or $2000 without Givi bags and racks. After I purchase my new (to me) bike.
 
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:31:09 PM
These days if you mention the word, "technology< no one would think for a moment of engines, propellers, power transmissions, elevators, airfoils, telescopes, hydroelectric dams, submarines, ULCCs, nor anything else other than. . .

. . . computer stuff.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: canuguzzi on February 10, 2016, 07:31:43 PM
The younger the better. An early interest can stay with younger people throughout life. I have a nephew who is 6 and speaks two languages fluently.

One day when he was a bit younger, maybe 4 he picked up a magazine and put his finger on it and flicked it side to side. He said it wasn't working. I laughed but they are growing up into a world we don't really see as they do. In their world, if something doesn't work it becomes boring immediately. fixing something means charging it or putting in new batteries. We can say that is crazy or whatever all we want, it is the way it is no matter what we think is better.

I decided to introduce him to a quad. Soon he will have one to run around on but more important, see that there is more to enjoying something than just playing with it. Just filling the fuel tank, checking the oil and tire pressure and making sure everything is as it should be is worth as much as riding it.

Hopefully, he will then gravitate to trying out a small motorcycle when the time is right (more to it than just his age) and then as he gets older he'll at least appreciate the sport.

He has seen the Norge and likes to look at it.

Who knows, maybe one day he will get an old mobile phone to help other kids in an emergency and also get a small leatherman multi-tool so he can wire up a connection to power the phone. ;)
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:32:27 PM
Yes, Ponch kissed my hand. he was quite the gentleman, and also an impressive shot.

Oh, I coul d not hear the theme, but did not wash the hand for a day, and was glad that he had not taught me to ride.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Rick4003 on February 10, 2016, 07:33:17 PM
Absolutly! I have a couple of bikes and I know several of my friends who also ride.

I think some of them is influenced by the Sons of Anarchy. So a few of them is into bobbers and such.

Also a couple of them with sport bikes and sport touring bikes.

most is engineers, so maybe that's explains it. Gearheads likes bikes :grin:
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: K250 on February 10, 2016, 07:35:12 PM
Hey!  You rowdies!  Today is the flippin' GOLDEN years of motorcycles!  internet parts and help!  Ebay!  Craigslist! Its awesome. 
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: K250 on February 10, 2016, 07:45:00 PM
Dusty come on over whenever you want!

Goose, 2000 without the bags sounds like a DEAL !   That will make someone happy!    That is about as cheap as a person can get.  Neighbors daughter made that much raking up leaves in the fall....

Tires-i always encourage people with low money to check tire cost before buying the bike...   One bike in my garage, part of why i bought it is it takes 10-40 car oil, and a new set of tires is under $100 shipped from jc whitney...  They are narrow enough they are easy to install in the yard..  Insurance on it is $60 a year...  Its never one time had a paid mechanic...   Yep a lot of fun cheap!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:48:14 PM
Cheap!

I call it low calorie motorcycling.
If I have to run a financial calculation before pushing the button I may as well not go.

But then, I have aspired to poverty throughout my life and have fallen short of that level of success.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: K250 on February 10, 2016, 08:26:35 PM
Im with you Aspie!  if it takes math to figure out how much a trip will cost i cant go.  Both because of expense and who needs that kind of stress.   For many years my limit was $100 a trip, have gone to Sturgis several times on that, currently am getting all extravagant and thinkin the outlandish amiunt of $200 would be acceptable...

Low calorie motorcycling
 Nice!!


Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 08:34:05 PM
Thank you K250!

I am looking forward to a new bike with that ability. Getting eager.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HDGoose on February 10, 2016, 08:41:06 PM
*snip*

Goose, 2000 without the bags sounds like a DEAL !   That will make someone happy!    That is about as cheap as a person can get.  *snip*

When I sell a bike, I'm realistic about the selling prices. Show up with less and I just tell you to leave.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Dilliw on February 10, 2016, 09:03:57 PM
We have a kid at the gym that's been riding pretty much everyday and that includes a lot days in the 30s.  He's well geared and even wears suspenders to hold up his overpants.

It can happen!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 09:05:01 PM
Congratulations on your success. You are The Guzzi Hero.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: BRIO on February 10, 2016, 09:06:05 PM
I'm not sure if I qualify as a youngster at 32. Young riders are out there. Weed out the bad boy Harley types and ricer deamons and the herd gets thinner. I don't see many young people who do it for the zen and love of motorcycling. It usually seems to be more about being "bad ass".
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: oldbike54 on February 10, 2016, 09:16:09 PM
 I met a nice young man today , probably 28 , just moved to Muskogee from St Louis . Guess how we met ? He was riding a 2010 Triumph T-bird , he had come from HD , decided he wanted something different . We didn't get to visit for too long , but I will bet he has been riding quite a while , judging by the way he handled a large powerful bike . Invited him to join WG , heck , we talk about Triumphs a fair bit here .

 Dusty
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 09:17:45 PM
You are an Ambassador, proper for being a Guzzi rider.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: oldbike54 on February 10, 2016, 09:21:09 PM
You are an Ambassador, proper for being a Guzzi rider.

 Try to be , ain't pretty , ain't smart , gotta be good at something  :rolleyes:

  Dusty
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: fotoguzzi on February 10, 2016, 09:21:35 PM
  1) were any of you guys/gals similarly influenced by popular culture and 2) is there a current 
When I was 15 I already had a good 6 years of mini bike experience, and the hopped up former riding lawn mower (Stanley) but I was really into speedboats (living on a lake in MN, duh).. then 2 things happened, Then Came Bronson and Easy Rider.. been a motorcycle junkie since..

my 2 adult boys show off/on interest but are never ready to actually buy something that i find for them..daughter, no interest..
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 09:27:39 PM
My primary reason for motorcycling was that I had already 2 horrid used up cars. A friend of mine, older and a very level headed engineer kept going on about Honda bikes. He said they were more reliable than cars - and he did not mean wrecks like mine, but new! He had a brown CB 450 that was about the most wonderful thing I had ever seen in my life. he took me for several rides. Then I bought my CB 100 and fell in love with motorcycling. I found it cheaper than cars, and so much more rewarding.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: thepittsburghguzzi on February 10, 2016, 11:05:02 PM
Yes :)
My two cousins and I (all mid-twenties) with some of my uncle's treasures.
I have my V7 Classic and KZ750, Danny has a Thruxton, and Lisa is learning on her TU250X.  :bike-037:


(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1538/24857285651_8cf7f880c4_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DSy61x) (https://flic.kr/p/DSy61x)
Title: Penny dropping
Post by: jacksonracingcomau on February 11, 2016, 03:04:07 AM
del
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: cookiemech on February 11, 2016, 05:35:09 AM
Yes :)
My two cousins and I (all mid-twenties) with some of my uncle's treasures.
I have my V7 Classic and KZ750, Danny has a Thruxton, and Lisa is learning on her TU250X.  :bike-037:


(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1538/24857285651_8cf7f880c4_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DSy61x)
 (https://flic.kr/p/DSy61x)

Nice photo and NICE bikes! Is your KZ750 a twin (fairly rare) or a four? (Can't go too far wrong either way.)
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: not-fishing on February 11, 2016, 05:51:52 AM
Motorcycle are no longer the cheap transportation they once were. Reliable small cars, with heat, a/c radio can be had for $3000. A set of tires will last 50k on a car and cost $400 or less. One set of 12k tires on a motorcycle will cost $300 now.

Disagree,

I bought the youngest a Aprilia Scarabeo 150 for $1000 last year.  We put $200 in parts (new battery, added key and fuel pump) then he rode it for a year to school.  Insurance was $500 in his name ($300,000 in uninsured motorest was $275 of that - this is California don't-cha-know).  Gas was $3.00 per week or so a full tank and school parking $60 per year.

Just to insure him in a $3000 beater car would be $1400 per year.  Then you have double for gas, double+ for parts and double parking fees.

Also he saves 10 minutes every trip to school by splitting lanes and loves riding his little Scarab. 

This year we did the valves, brakes, tires, oil, tranny oil (belt was good) and spent about $250 for parts.  The tires are good for 10,000 miles.

I figure the car would cost double to triple what that little scooter costs.

Still there is a hidden cost in bikes ........I have a road trip to make this weekend and if all goes well ............

Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Perazzimx14 on February 11, 2016, 05:59:34 AM
Either one of you guys want to adopt a 61 year old kid ?

 Dusty

Are you house broke?
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: thepittsburghguzzi on February 11, 2016, 06:56:22 AM
Nice photo and NICE bikes! Is your KZ750 a twin (fairly rare) or a four? (Can't go too far wrong either way.)

Thank you kindly!! My KZ is the twin - quite the vibration at speed, but sure does have a ton of usable torque in the low/mid range! My riding buddy has a 550LTD and my boss has a 440LTD, both of which are 4 pots. I've never seen another KZ Twin in my area, I'm proud of what I've got :)
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: jas67 on February 11, 2016, 07:16:28 AM
Was a time when a "decent" bike could be picked up on the cheap and kept running by wit, spit and a bit o' wire.

Not so much anymore.

Those "decent" bikes of the past are generally completely used up or have become collectible in their own right and so, somewhat overpriced for the entry level hobbyist.

At least in my area, there are plenty of Ninja 250 with reasonable miles, and in overall good condition for $1,000-$1,500.   That's pretty darned cheap transportation.

Other models I see in this price range that also make great starter bikes:
Suzuki GS500
Ninja 500(usually more like $2k though for these).
Nighthawk 250
Rebel 250 (if you don't mind cruiserish styling, but, great for those with short legs)
Suzuki GZ250 (see comment on the Rebel 250)
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Triple Jim on February 11, 2016, 08:16:15 AM
At least in my area, there are plenty of Ninja 250 with reasonable miles, and in overall good condition for $1,000-$1,500.   That's pretty darned cheap transportation.

Those can be amazing deals.   Mine was $1,100 last year, and runs very well as purchased.  I was surprised at what a great general purpose motorcycle it is.  Insurance and parts are cheap, and it gets 65 mpg.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: guzzinka on February 11, 2016, 10:05:21 AM
These are really interesting responses.  I'm 46 now and when I started riding, cbs and kzs were treated as "junk", I got many riders for free or close to it.  Now its all collectible, and the cheap niche (at least here in urban Chicago) is filled by all manner of mopeds and scooters driven by kids in their 20s.  The game has definitely changed, but the kids are still on two wheels.  My 16 yr old daughter has 0 interest in my bikes, I have hope for my older son, though he's only 4!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Huzo on February 11, 2016, 10:17:45 AM
Here in Australia in the rarly seventies we had a show from the US called "Then Came Bronson", the opening credits showed him pulling up next to some jaded office worker in a traffic jam, I think our man was on a Harley Sportster or similar,here's the hook though I can still remember it. the guy in the car looks wistfully over at our hero and says, "where ya headin'", "wherever I end up I guess" is the casual reply, "man, I wish I was you" says the car guy, "Yeah well, hang in there" says our man. he then dlips the Harley into gear and blasts out over a masive bridge and is gone.... check out Bob Seger's studio version of "Roll Me Away" and/or "Against The Wind"...... Magic
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Huzo on February 11, 2016, 10:24:13 AM
Sorry, that'd be "clicks" the Harley into gear
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: cruzziguzzi on February 11, 2016, 11:36:42 AM
Excluding "adjusted for inflation" which I see as usually being a non-starter in contemporary comparables, I don't see a $1,100 - $2,000 dollar outlay these days as being relative to the near free bikes of the 70's and even early 80's.

What got us going was being able to buy motive transport - regardless of state/condition - from the returns of; paper routes, shoveling snow or mowing lawns.

I don't expect a kid to be able to buy something for the old numbers of $35.00 - $50.00 bucks but I'm not buying that today's $2,000 was my $50.00 either. Then there's the relative complexities of modern vehicles to contend with.

While I acknowledge that folks can poke holes in the general concept, the sea of inexpensive and user friendly options simply no longer exists to whet the appetite of so vast a swath of youth as it once did. I figure that the odd, hunted for and overly compensated options simply prove the rule.

Then, on top of it all is a fairly modern attitude shared by too many youth that they simply should not have to "pay dues" in any form, least of which, transportation or fun in the form of a clap-trap bike. immediate gratification and all that.

How many of us bought whatever we could afford when they were on-the-cheap leading into winter knowing full well, labor and finances would use up all of the cold months getting it rideable for the spring?

The bikes simply aren't out there leaning against sheds, garages and boats, waiting for the next enthusiastic youngster like they once were.



Todd.

Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Triple Jim on February 11, 2016, 11:50:52 AM
Excluding "adjusted for inflation" which I see as usually being a non-starter in contemporary comparables, I don't see a $1,100 - $2,000 dollar outlay these days as being relative to the near free bikes of the 70's and even early 80's.

It's hard for me to relate to the value of the dollar today.  My brain is pretty well stuck around 1980 or so, but a dollar today is worth about 1/3 of a dollar in 1980.  When I hear a price, I usually have to divide by three before I can decide if it's a good value. 

A kid getting out of engineering college can start at $50,000/year now, which is about 3 times what I started at.  So it's really true that an $1,100 motorcycle today is like a $370 motorcycle in 1980.  If you check out Craigslist, you can find running motorcycles even cheaper.  I don't think things have changed much at all, really.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: kidsmoke on February 11, 2016, 11:56:05 AM
These are really interesting responses.  I'm 46 now and when I started riding, cbs and kzs were treated as "junk", I got many riders for free or close to it.  Now its all collectible, and the cheap niche (at least here in urban Chicago) is filled by all manner of mopeds and scooters driven by kids in their 20s.  The game has definitely changed, but the kids are still on two wheels.  My 16 yr old daughter has 0 interest in my bikes, I have hope for my older son, though he's only 4!

this. I spent the last 26 years in Chicago. In the city the Hipsters are fixing up and hobbling together old Japanese bikes, and prize any motorized scooter at all. The cliche's about the bearded, tatted, flannel and rolled cuff clad wrench with a grinder are cliches for a reason.

In the Burbs they're all about harley's and doo rags, or on a rocket.

There is a BMW/Ducati/Triumph/Vespa dealer I frequent, and they've been cajoled into working on a Guzzi now and again, but will recommend you find your way to Rose Farm if at all possible. My Jackal was in there getting some cosmetic attention, next to a Centauro in the throes of a full cosmetic restoration and the youngest wrench in there, albeit Beemer certified, was all agog about it. He was in the midst of rebuilding a vintage Eldo and wanted to chat. On the other hand, my 28 year old son is scared to death of the idea of riding in the city. Irrational perhaps....but he was hit on his bicycle and got an ambulance trip to the ER out of it, then later was on a Greyhound bus that caught a soft shoulder and ended up rolling over in a central Illinois corn field when he was 11...so he's got this thing about transportation ingrained that logic is helpless against. My daughter is all about it but at 24, is 5'2" 110 and is a bit overwhelmed by them. Among their peers, I can't think of a one who rides. This is Chicago itself. No doubt, that has an impact.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: jas67 on February 11, 2016, 12:10:57 PM
Excluding "adjusted for inflation" which I see as usually being a non-starter in contemporary comparables, I don't see a $1,100 - $2,000 dollar outlay these days as being relative to the near free bikes of the 70's and even early 80's.

What got us going was being able to buy motive transport - regardless of state/condition - from the returns of; paper routes, shoveling snow or mowing lawns.


How 'bout a $400 scooter then?

I picked up a 2009 Kymco Agility 125 scooter a couple years bike to use as campground transportation.  It was titled and in good condition, both mechanical and otherwise.   I've seen similar deals since.    That is certainly mobility on a paper route budget (not that kids have paper routes anymore).
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Kev m on February 11, 2016, 12:13:04 PM
Try to be , ain't pretty , ain't smart , gotta be good at something  :rolleyes:

  Dusty

Well, you got annoying covered...

 :kiss:   :boozing:
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Kev m on February 11, 2016, 12:29:09 PM
I dunno, some of those scooter and cheap tiny bike stories are exceptions.

You can't convince me that $400 Kymco or $1k Scarabeo will long term do what a halfway decent used car will.

I mean if you live anywhere in a snow belt it's just not apples and apples.

If your commute involves 10-20 miles of highway it's just not the same.

And yeah the car costs more initially and MAYBE the insurance is more (varies by state and AGE of the driver/rider), but there's a reason for that which includes a price on safety if you're talking about a young/inexperienced operator.

And you're still going to be replacing tires on the bike 5-10x in 50k miles vs. 1x in the car.

Plus chains/sprockets, or scooter CVT drive belts, and whatever other services (brakes, valves, probably more frequent and expensive oil changes).

What about gear? I mean Arai and Stich vs. Bilt and Joe Rocket. But helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves... Either way it adds up.

I just don't think most people will reasonably save much money with a bike, and certainly the bigger and faster and more interesting the bike, the less likely it becomes.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: oldbike54 on February 11, 2016, 12:36:08 PM
Are you house broke?


 Well , at least in warm weather  :laugh:

 Dusty
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: not-fishing on February 11, 2016, 12:50:50 PM
Excluding "adjusted for inflation" which I see as usually being a non-starter in contemporary comparables, I don't see a $1,100 - $2,000 dollar outlay these days as being relative to the near free bikes of the 70's and even early 80's.

Todd.

I-phones are over $1,000 per year and are replaced ever 2-3 years.

High speed internet is over $1,000 per year.

Mountain bikes at more than $5,000 that are common.

Ipods, clouds, new gamer desktops, games.

$1,000-$2,000 for something that can take you 10,000 miles fast seems cheap to me.

Mark
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Muzz on February 11, 2016, 12:57:08 PM
HardAspie, those CB100's are great little bikes. Commuted on one for years. I already had the Honda tools for the tappets and removing the spinning oil filter so it really was cheap running. Those things are bullet proof! :thumb:
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: not-fishing on February 11, 2016, 01:04:07 PM
I dunno, some of those scooter and cheap tiny bike stories are exceptions.

And yeah the car costs more initially and MAYBE the insurance is more (varies by state and AGE of the driver/rider), but there's a reason for that which includes a price on safety if you're talking about a young/inexperienced operator.

And you're still going to be replacing tires on the bike 5-10x in 50k miles vs. 1x in the car.

The key is the insurance at $1500 per year vs $500. 

As to gear the boy bought all of it on sale so he's got about $400 in two jackets (warm & cold) gloves, helmet and ear plugs.

I ran the numbers of my $4,500 used Griso vs my 05 Cadillac CTS-V.  The V actually gets good mileage at 20 mpg but the savings in maintenance and gas have made it a "no-comparison" situation.  The Griso runs about half the cost without depreciation.  Sure I take the Caddie when it rains, in the snow or I have to drive deep into the SF Bay area but now I'm putting less than 4,000 miles a year on the car which is a good thing.

Mark
,

Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: oldbike54 on February 11, 2016, 01:55:23 PM
 Mr Fishing , did you factor in tire costs ?

 Dusty
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Kev m on February 11, 2016, 01:57:54 PM
I think my point is you can cherry pick examples and situations all you want (cheap used bike vs. expensive car, something too small to get on the highway vs. used had guzzler, etc.), but generally speaking you won't make up in efficiency what you lose in maintenance and other costs if you're comparing more apples-to-apples.

I keep coming back to the cheapest new cars available on the market. Something like a Nissan Versa, $12k 27/36 mpg vs at least a 600cc or so from JAPanInc.

The Versa is going to be dry comfortable, allow you to carry 4 people, and is likely going to last 100k miles without significant repairs.

Now if insurance isn't a major influence, then I suspect gear and maintenance will be a huge hit on a motorcycle.

You'll likely be spending a couple hundred dollars in tires alone every 5-10k on a bike, if only every 10k and only $100/tire you're at $2k in 100k vs a Versa can probably get away with one $400 set around 50k miles.

How about chain and sprockets? A couple hundred dollars at least 2-3 times in 100k.

How about valve adjustments?

And here's the final word on it. If you have to move more than 2 people at the same time, then double all the bike costs, cause you'll need two of em.

We love our bikes, but when Jenn and I tour together on the Guzzi and Duc, the combined fuel mileage isn't much better than if we took the Grand Cherokee, and in 50k miles like that we're going to be lucky if we ONLY buy 10 tires between the two bikes.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 11, 2016, 04:02:04 PM
I loved my CB 100. Only reason for trading to my equally loved CB 350G was to be able to run freeways. Both bikes were as reliable as anvils and about as cheap to run.

The bike that I am planning to buy, after pondering bikes and numbers including my dismal income, is a direct lineal descendant of that beloved 100. Honda bumped it to 125 and added some goodies. San Yang started to build under license CB 125s in 1971  and took it over completely when Honda ceased making them on 2002.

Take my CB 100 and: Bump it to 150cc and probably double the HP, ceramic coat the cylinder, add electric start, more powerful electrical, halogen headlamp (good old H4), tachometer, trip odometer, a nice twin piston front disc brake, and there is the Wolf Classic 150. I think I can afford to own one and still have money left to operate it. Yay! And it will do freeways and I states...not real fast...but at my age 55 - 60 is probably enough. Hey: it still comes with a tool kit!

I like so much the numbers, but that I kinda know what it is and like the ancestor I owned so much, well even though it is tiny I am feeling kinda tickled.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Arizona Wayne on February 11, 2016, 05:19:31 PM
Erik Estrada!

I shot a (very strange) round of skeet with him and a few others out to Prado Tiro about 1990. Nice guy! Great shot too! And know how his teeth were as shiny as the grill of a fifties Buick? They were in real life too. he kissed my hand!



I met his CHiP riding partner as a SF Bay area Int'l Bike Show years ago.   Seemed like a nice guy.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 11, 2016, 06:13:31 PM
I would think he was. You know, that was a corny old show but there was nothing in it that would erode a person's good attitude or pollute their soul.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: not-fishing on February 11, 2016, 07:52:40 PM
Mr Fishing , did you factor in tire costs ?

 Dusty

Yeah, the V uses very special tires Y rated speed that only last 30,000 miles at more than $250 per tire.  My Griso is getting 12,000 miles out of a set of Metzlers @ $380 installed.

Right now my V needs a new oil pressure sending unit (not expensive), all the fuel injectors cleaned (more expensive) and another set of motor mounts/ rear diff mount (very expensive).  Those little hidden costs (like motor / mounts every 60,000 miles) run the cost of maintenance up a fair amount for the car.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HDGoose on February 12, 2016, 11:59:10 AM
Disagree,

I bought the youngest a Aprilia Scarabeo 150 for $1000 last year.  We put $200 in parts (new battery, added key and fuel pump) then he rode it for a year to school.  Insurance was $500 in his name ($300,000 in uninsured motorest was $275 of that - this is California don't-cha-know).  Gas was $3.00 per week or so a full tank and school parking $60 per year.

Just to insure him in a $3000 beater car would be $1400 per year.  Then you have double for gas, double+ for parts and double parking fees.

Also he saves 10 minutes every trip to school by splitting lanes and loves riding his little Scarab. 

This year we did the valves, brakes, tires, oil, tranny oil (belt was good) and spent about $250 for parts.  The tires are good for 10,000 miles.

I figure the car would cost double to triple what that little scooter costs.

Still there is a hidden cost in bikes ........I have a road trip to make this weekend and if all goes well ............

How much traveling will be done on a 150? anything below a 400? I doubt you see him putting 400-500 miles on it in a day traveling someplace.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: ScepticalScotty on February 12, 2016, 12:19:38 PM
No need to go that far in a day anyway. Slow down and smell the roses. Or eat em.

I think the people that will come in will come in, and those that won't...won't. My daughter was mad keen to go on the back of the Guzzi but Jill is dead set against it. Now Amelie is losing the desire to go on the back, so oh well, I suppose in this family it will be just me that will ride a bike. Started at 7 years old, and still loving it.  :grin:
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HDGoose on February 12, 2016, 12:21:38 PM
Yeah, the V uses very special tires Y rated speed that only last 30,000 miles at more than $250 per tire.  My Griso is getting 12,000 miles out of a set of Metzlers @ $380 installed.

Right now my V needs a new oil pressure sending unit (not expensive), all the fuel injectors cleaned (more expensive) and another set of motor mounts/ rear diff mount (very expensive).  Those little hidden costs (like motor / mounts every 60,000 miles) run the cost of maintenance up a fair amount for the car.

So you are comparing a high maintenance car to a motorcycle? My 1998 C1500 truck required only a water pump before 100,000 miles. I replaced the tires at 80,000 for $600 on sale. Except for oil changes, $20 or under, no maintenance was done.

Motorcycles are more comparable to a $20,000 car than a a high end vehicle or performance vehicle. I know people who buy a $10,000 vehicle every 3-4 years and do very little to them. During the same time frame of ownership, run through 2 or three tires every year. The car needed nothing. And the car got the same or better fuel mileage. Today, many cars approach 30 mph easily. Motorcycles struggle to obtain 40.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 12, 2016, 12:33:26 PM
I have owned several vehicles new enough to have digitronics. Bear in mind that I am biased by lifelong poverty (my own damn fault for being autistic). What I find about digitronic vehicles is that they run perfectly until they don't. That don't is likely to be pretty sudden. Then the costs begin and can be - for me - staggering. What in the old days was the turn of an adjuster screw is now probably a sensor or module replacement; after the specific part is identified. For people like myself this improvement - and improvement it truly is - may not be so wonderful.

Oh, I plan to get a 150 and I do plan 400 to 500 mile days. But then I have always been a bit meshugge.
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Triple Jim on February 12, 2016, 01:15:44 PM
Today, many cars approach 30 mph easily. Motorcycles struggle to obtain 40.

Mine will easily get to 45 mph!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: HardAspie on February 12, 2016, 01:17:28 PM
My brussel's sprout never ventured at all, but the local pet store had nothing nearer to beaver than a guinea pig!
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: Triple Jim on February 12, 2016, 01:22:18 PM
 :grin:
Title: Re: Are young people interested in motorcyles?
Post by: LaMojo on February 12, 2016, 08:53:17 PM
My daughter expressed interest in riding motorcycles so I bought her a nice '84 65C.   She may have put 50 miles on it and that was it.   My wife was next.  Maybe 200 miles and it was parked.  I ride it occasionally to keep the fluids circulating but it seems like a toy compared to the EV.