Author Topic: Life is Good  (Read 4198 times)

britman

  • Guest
Life is Good
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
I am finally fully retired, I am getting in the truck in a few minutes and leaving for a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I just can't stop smiling............ .......
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:18:37 PM by britman »

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20004
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
I am finally fully retired, I am getting in the truck in a few minutes and leaving for a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I just getting stop smiling............ .......

Congrats...good for you...and safe travels!! :thumb: :cool:  It's been 1 year, (being retired...), for me this month!! :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

Offline n3303j

  • Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2116
  • Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »
I am finally fully retired, I am getting in the truck in a few minutes and leaving for a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I just getting stop smiling............ .......
I started that about 5 years ago. Winters in Florida. Multi week bike trips. Work on a project until you pronounce it finished. No more having to do it all on the weekend. Still can't figure out how I fit 50 hours of job into my life back then.
ENJOY!
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6313
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »
Congratulations Brit!!! I live in the Piedmont area(Winston-Salem) and every couple years ride to the OBX, I love that place. Look me up sometime if you are near the  Piedmont 👍

Online Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6793
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »
Not a bad way to live. Enjoy!
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline s1120

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2199
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 09:54:24 AM »
Nice!  I went there last year for the first time and loved it!! 
Paul B

Offline rdbandkab

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1521
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
Drats!   I have at least 4 years to go before I can join my wife in retirement..

To you - Enjoy!!

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31429
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »
leaving for a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I just getting stop smiling............ .......

To which part are you headed... Posted from the 4x4 section above Corolla.... :angel:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
Drats!   I have at least 4 years to go before I can join my wife in retirement..

To you - Enjoy!!

Just some advice from a guy who already got that T-shirt ....

If your retirement target is based on something like a "vesting" date for a pension, or some minimum threshold before which you lose big money, then you're sort of stuck with 4 years.

IF however your date is based on your calculation of how much money you need to have in your retirement plan in order to make the income you think you need ... you may be able to re-think that and gain some time on your "get out" date.

I retired at a time when I was a bit nervous about "Is it time yet?   Have I got enough yet?" but I went anyway.   Turns out I had nothing to worry about (at least the past 4.5 years is going well) and I gained 4 years of life-time vacation as a result.

Just a thought.   "I wish I'd worked longer" said almost no one ever.

Lannis
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:38:26 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline larrys

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
  • Location: SE CT
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »
Congrats! Every day is Saturday!
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3597
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
 :bow:   Enjoy. I am.

Offline Devildog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 562
  • Location: Alamogordo, NM
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
Enjoy to Outer Banks, hope it's not as hot as VA!
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Online Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6793
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
From Lannis:
Quote
I retired at a time when I was a bit nervous about "Is it time yet?   Have I got enough yet?" but I went anyway.   Turns out I had nothing to worry about (at least the past 4.5 years is going well) and I gained 4 years of life-time vacation as a result.

Just a thought.   "I wish I'd worked longer" said almost no one ever.
Almost the same time span and initial concerns that you experienced. Loseening up the purse strings some now and having a great life!
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Online LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16850
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »
BTDT, retirement and Nag's Head.

Enjoy your retirement.  I'd like to go back to the Outer Banks someday. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:14:55 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Muzz

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 7082
  • On the backside of the planet.
  • Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »
I am finally fully retired, I am getting in the truck in a few minutes and leaving for a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I just getting stop smiling............ .......

I remember the feeling well. :grin: :thumb:  Enjoy.

I personally have found my life to be pretty full actually, but with doing stuff that I enjoy doing.  As a word of "warning" :wink:" if you have practical skills, like the ones you pick up from owning English or Italian motorcycles, you will find that somehow people will find you out and see if you can fix something for them.  This can be a source of extra income for those little extras.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 05:57:26 AM »
From Lannis:Almost the same time span and initial concerns that you experienced. Loseening up the purse strings some now and having a great life!
GliderJohn

Yep.   On my way to England this week for 10 days to ride a BSA around the country and attend the BSA Owner's Club International Rally, then when I get back, a week at Topsail Island beach with the family (North Carolina).   

No worries about "getting back" in time for anything, how long to stay ... it's great.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline twowheeladdict

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6567
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 06:14:17 AM »
Congrats.  May you have many blessed years of enjoying life and freedom. 

My plan is to go out at 62 or to show up at work until they offer a please leave bonus.  I started 10 years behind many of my peers and my 401k hasn't performed like they predicted it would a quarter century ago. 

A coworker was able to retire at 57 and died 18 months later of a ruptured brain aneurysm.  You never know how much time you have left.

Met an 82 year old rider a couple weeks ago who has been retired for 28 years and doesn't regret one moment of it.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2015 Yamaha SR400
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Mr Pootle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 540
  • Location: Live in Leeds
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
Yep.   On my way to England this week for 10 days to ride a BSA around the country and attend the BSA Owner's Club International Rally, then when I get back, a week at Topsail Island beach with the family (North Carolina).   

No worries about "getting back" in time for anything, how long to stay ... it's great.

Lannis
Are you coming up to God's Own County (known to southerners as Yorkshire)? If so, pm me and we can maybe meet up.

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »
Are you coming up to God's Own County (known to southerners as Yorkshire)? If so, pm me and we can maybe meet up.

I roamed Derbyshire and Yorkshire on my last trip there on my BSA 650 A10.  Seven of us on old bikes started in Liverpool (after dark due to a late ferry), rode up over the Cat and Fiddle around midnight and through Bakewell to our camp at The Plough Pub in Two Dales.   Then we had a mooch around Matlock, then up into the Peak District, and over to Doncaster and our local guide got lost in an industrial estate in Goole.   We spent three days camping in Ulleskelf near Tadcaster, and rode as much of Yorkshire as we could.

I was real happy to get to ride down Greenhow Hill to Pately Bridge, which any Kipling fan will understand, we rode the moors around How Stean Gorge, we rode to the North York Moors.   I was amazed to find not only 1 in 4 hills, but one 1 in 3!    How the clutch on that two-up BSA survived I don't know, but it did.

We had to get back to Kent eventually (well, I didn't, but the rest of the unretired crew did), and we rode to the east of Leeds and Doncaster and then points south.

This go-round, we're starting in Chatham, riding to the south of the M25 in the country but going near Guildford, Basingstoke, and Oxford and end up in Morton-in-Marsh, in the Cotswolds.   I don't think any of the rideouts will take us much farther north than that, but there'll be 400 or 500 of us there, so if you happen to be looking for a place to ride to .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Tom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 28878
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
Enjoy!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉 Hawaii.

Offline Mr Pootle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 540
  • Location: Live in Leeds
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 06:38:24 AM »
I roamed Derbyshire and Yorkshire on my last trip there on my BSA 650 A10.  Seven of us on old bikes started in Liverpool (after dark due to a late ferry), rode up over the Cat and Fiddle around midnight and through Bakewell to our camp at The Plough Pub in Two Dales.   Then we had a mooch around Matlock, then up into the Peak District, and over to Doncaster and our local guide got lost in an industrial estate in Goole.   We spent three days camping in Ulleskelf near Tadcaster, and rode as much of Yorkshire as we could.

I was real happy to get to ride down Greenhow Hill to Pately Bridge, which any Kipling fan will understand, we rode the moors around How Stean Gorge, we rode too the North York Moors.   I was amazed to find not only 1 in 4 hills, but one 1 in 3!    How the clutch on that two-up BSA survived I don't know, but it did.

We had to get back to Kent eventually (well, I didn't, but the rest of the unretired crew did), and we rode to the east of Leeds and Doncaster and then points south.

This go-round, we're starting in Chatham, riding to the south of the M25 in the country but going near Guildford, Basingstoke, and Oxford and end up in Morton-in-Marsh, in the Cotswolds.   I don't think any of the rideouts will take us much farther north than that, but there'll be 400 or 500 of us there, so if you happen to be looking for a place to ride to .... !

Lannis
I'd have bought you and your mates a beer, but then I read the last sentence.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29699
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 07:05:03 AM »
I thought I might outlive my money when I retired uh... doing the math in my head.. 27 years ago, (!) but the Grim Reaper has told me to not count on that.. :grin: So, the last few years I've loosened the purse strings, and it hasn't seemed to affect anything. I still get my $40 a week and 3 beers that my union rep Ned negotiated with Dorcia all those years ago.. :smiley: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Online LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16850
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 08:06:08 PM »
Yes Chuck but those are expensive and topshelf beers.    :boozing:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

britman

  • Guest
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
Thanks one and all for the kind words and congratulations.  Pulled back in this morning, going to change out the suitcases and head to Pennsylvania this weekend to do some Flea Market hunting.  The Outer Banks never disappoints, it is truly one of my happy places.  I did find that 70 year old knees and the sizable Atlantic Ocean waves can cause an old man to give his Wife a good belly laugh and the rest of the beach a good show when you fight to save your suit and dignity all at the same time.  Had a ball, ingested tons of great seafood, and witnessed a beautiful thunderstorm from our balcony on the last night there.  The only drawback is my Mate is bitching about having to go back to work on Monday.  I really really like this, I do have to start next week on an extensive "Honey Do List", bring it on.........

Offline Tom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 28878
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 12:45:26 PM »
If you have family around, your "Honey do" list will have add-on supplemental list.  :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉 Hawaii.

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31429
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 03:21:47 PM »
The Outer Banks never disappoints, it is truly one of my happy places

  Had a ball, ingested tons of great seafood, and witnessed a beautiful thunderstorm from our balcony on the last night there.


You talking Wednesday night's storm? It blew in like a tropical storm damn... We were out to dinner at the time and trapped in the restaurant by sideways rain. Eventually we ran to the Jeep and watched the tail end of it moving offshore as we drove up the beach not an hour later.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:22:30 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here