Author Topic: Whats the fastest/most powerful Guzzi?  (Read 1204 times)

Online Huzo

• Guzzi Hero
Re: Whats the fastest/most powerful Guzzi?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
Well duh .

Dusty
Thereís something that I donít always pick up on over on my side of the Pacific.
Your humour is different.

Online oldbike54

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »
Thereís something that I donít always pick up on over on my side of the Pacific.

Meh , no one here gets me either .

Dusty
Clowns to the left of me , jokers to the right .

I had a dream , it was 1971 , I should have paid better attention to Mom .

Offline wirespokes

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »

Nah - your humor is different.

And it's so finely honed, too!

Online rschrum

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
147 indicated, 144 GPS, tucked in behind the speed screen. Didn't notice where the tach was but hadn't hit the limiter yet. There was a little more left. Griso. 
15 GRISO
98 Centauro
07 S4RS
97 sport I
13 zx14R
07 Tuono Factory

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »

Online Bobic69

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »
147 indicated, 144 GPS, tucked in behind the speed screen. Didn't notice where the tach was but hadn't hit the limiter yet. There was a little more left. Griso.
Of course that was on the track, right? :wink:
Bellagio

Online oldbike54

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2020, 11:18:28 PM »
Of course that was on the track, right? :wink:

Asked an Ozzie who now lives in Texas why he moved here , "Because you can drive fast here mate"  :laugh:

Dusty
Clowns to the left of me , jokers to the right .

I had a dream , it was 1971 , I should have paid better attention to Mom .

Online Tony F

• New Goose
« Reply #66 on: Today at 03:28:31 AM »
Here is a historic data point for you.

In 1985 I ran a friend's quite new Mark 3 Le Mans in a Bears speed trial. It was timed both ways over a flying quarter. Average speed 130.65 mph. I was 3rd on the day, first place went to another friend on his BMW K100RS at around 135mph. 2nd place was a very highly tuned Triumph with an average speed of about 0.25mph higher than the LM. A good fart would have done it!

I'm pretty sure it was maxxed out, the engine was quiet, there was just the wind noise. I had used my first run to figure out how to launch it and fit myself in behind the screen. And to crib an extra bit of run up at the starting end because that end was a bit shorter.

Tony

Online Rough Edge racing

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #67 on: Today at 05:43:51 AM »
Nice try Dusty but you fired a little early.
I said...
If the 9,000 rpm bike CAN pull the revs then it WILL be faster because of the mechanical connection to the rear wheel. If it does not have the TORQUE available then the lower revving higher torque Ď14 will win.
Power is TORQUE x RPM and itís the multiple of the two that gives POWER.
By the time the 1200 hits 8250 rpm side by side with the 1400 the race is still even, but the 1400 has hit itís rev limit so cannot continue to accelerate, IF the 1200 has enough torque to increase the revs by a bit more then it will slightly pull away..
Power is an often quoted and just as often misunderstood term.
Power is and always was an expression of the RATE of DOING WORK.
I understand the mechanical thing but the engine may have other rpm requirements . My LSR 650 Triumph makes record speed at a calculated 6950 rpm, much lower than the other Triumphs. For my bike, it's the rpm representing the sum of the highest average sum of torque and HP.
I ride junk, some of it actually goes fast

Online PeteS

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #68 on: Today at 07:33:56 AM »
Here is a historic data point for you.

In 1985 I ran a friend's quite new Mark 3 Le Mans in a Bears speed trial. It was timed both ways over a flying quarter. Average speed 130.65 mph. I was 3rd on the day, first place went to another friend on his BMW K100RS at around 135mph. 2nd place was a very highly tuned Triumph with an average speed of about 0.25mph higher than the LM. A good fart would have done it!

I'm pretty sure it was maxxed out, the engine was quiet, there was just the wind noise. I had used my first run to figure out how to launch it and fit myself in behind the screen. And to crib an extra bit of run up at the starting end because that end was a bit shorter.

Tony

At least two period motorcycle magazines back in the '70s measured the top speed of the 850 LeMans at a bit over 130 mph which is what Guzzi claimed. This with a 7200 redline and 7:33 gears. I had mine maxed out but with the Veglia swinging back and forth between 100 and 150 it was only a guess. If the tach was accurate then it did pull 7200 no problem. Later when Manfred Hecht flowed the heads and put in stronger springs it would pull 8000 rpms with ease and I have seen 8300 before backing off. This with 7:33 gears but a close ratio gearbox which has a lower top end. Not sure it would even attain 130 with that gearbox but it did and continues to pull redline even 30 years and many track days after the rebuild.

Pete
« Last Edit: Today at 07:37:29 AM by PeteS »

Online Idontwantapickle

• Guzzi Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #69 on: Today at 09:49:46 AM »
I took the bevelbox off my V85 down to Geelong on Friday.
I was on my Norge and it was 9 degrees C.
The cold air was just what my Norge wanted and being suitably dressed it was lovely.

A Norge loves a cool day! I might ride mine today even though it's over 80 (27C). I would normally ride the LeMans but it is evidently in cahoots with your new bike as the rear drive is leaking!
Happy Motoring!
« Last Edit: Today at 09:51:12 AM by Idontwantapickle »
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline pressureangle

• Guzzi Hero
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #70 on: Today at 10:49:51 AM »
During the time I was land speed racing at the one mile track ,2013-2015 the fastest stock Japanese big bore sport bikes were  crowding 175 mph. But stock production in LSR means stock exhaust and air boxes the engine internals can be tuned beyond stock. Fastest production 2 cylinder bikes were the last Buell's with the Rotex engines, about 160 mph. At the 1.5 mile track in Maine some of the same bikes were 5 mph faster.
  My naked frame 650 Triumph racer with 55 rwhp , about 65 at the flywheel, ran consistent 133 mph at Maine.
 I believe a non faired stock Guzzi with 75 rwhp should be able to see 145 mph.

This is all very realistic compared to what I've seen. Racing H-D 883 Sportsters, ~62rwhp netted ~130mph. The best of them at ~65rwhp were ~140mph.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here