Author Topic: 2020 - Not a high mileage year  (Read 4787 times)

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
2020 - Not a high mileage year
« on: November 20, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »
But I'm grateful for every mile! 
2016 T120 Bonnie:  6000
1991 R100GS:        1750
so, total of 7750

The T120 fortunately was easy and not too $$ to tweak so it worked better for me:
- installed Givi mounts and Givi E21 hard bags.  Not too small, not too large, just right!
- was able to play with handlebar position (adding 20mm riser) so that I could roll bars further back toward me.
- from 37T to 40T rear sprocket.  Now geared for my riding environment.
- replaced oem shocks with lighter Ikons I'd previously used on my CB1100
- replaced oem fork springs with Progressive Suspension progressively wound springs

The R100GS will have to be lowered a bit for me to feel 'in control' at stops.  That'll be a project for this winter/spring.

Did the oil and filter change today on the T120, as well as adding a couple oz of Stabil, shaking it up, then topping off with hi test.

Lovin' the T120!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6316
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »
If I had not made a Trip to the keys I would have only did around 2k thus far for the year.

Online bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10056
  • Location: Central Il
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:35:53 PM »
Dah! 
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Offline Guzikid

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • Posts: 230
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 08:52:35 PM »
  I haven't been able to put the usual amount on my bike this year for some reason.  But, I haven't been riding every time I should have either !   :sad:  The Kid

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
  I haven't been able to put the usual amount on my bike this year for some reason.  But, I haven't been riding every time I should have either !   :sad:  The Kid
None of us have!  But we're getting through it.  Hopefully, at my age, I'll qualify for a C19 vaccination early in 2021, and can possibly  plan on an "out West" ride later in the year.  I'd love to ride Utah once again!

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15176
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
It is for this guy, and he's got another few weeks left!  :shocked:


Charlie

Offline s1120

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2199
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 05:49:41 AM »
Vary low for me!!  Going into 2020 I had all kinds of plans. A few camping trips, some trips out to the house on Cape Cod.. heck I was tossing around if I might be able to make the trip to cedar vale...  But you know..  - hit... ended up spending much more time out at the summer place, and logistics didn't allow me to have the bike..  I haven't ran the numbers yet, but I doubt I hit a 1000 miles. Here is looking forward to next year!! 
Paul B

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 06:36:42 AM »
I did ok, several trips to Arkansas, Springfield mile, Prairie nut hut run, Talahina, Ok.but I don’t record my mileage. Too much organizing for me.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Perazzimx14

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6485
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 07:16:11 AM »
2020 started slow but ramped up and was on track to be a little better than average year. Even got to ride a few thousand miles with that guy holding the 70,000 mile sign a post or two above. Thursday evening my 2020 season came to an abrupt stop. Oh well now I can catch up on some other stuff. 


Online blu guzz

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1460
  • Loves to ride
  • Location: Northern Kentuycky
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 07:33:08 AM »
Pretty good for me.  I took 2 riding trips with my son, Western North Carolina for a 3 day weekend in June and Hocking Hills, Ohio with him for another 3 day in the fall.  My annual West Virginia ride with Canadian friends for 4 days was cancelled when the borders closed and the great Ohio annual rally at Zanesville and the Memorial day revitalization of the New Cumberland West Virginia rally were cancelled.  The Kentucky Rally happened but is only about 60 miles from my home, not complaining. 
My V85 was one of the first delivered in June 2019 and is a little over 11,000 miles now, so I am not letting it rest too much.  My ride to work nearly doubled from 16 to 30 miles, so on those days I get some good miles, but for this year, bike commuting is probably done where I live.
Ride on.
Blue Guzz

Offline Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3619
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 08:15:00 AM »
I hear you Bob.

The 'Plandemic' hasn't messed with my riding as much as some health issues, but I managed:

1200 Sport - 1400 miles (including ride home from your house in July)
Convert - 1400 miles (Bought in Feb, and refreshed, started riding in May)
Stornello - 2200 miles (50% done commuting, only 1 trip)
Griso - 500 miles (shame on me)
MGX-21 - 900 miles (sold in March)

Worst part, is I haven't been able to drive the 912 at all. I started some rehab/upgrades in April, and it took my custom part supplier 9 months to get me the parts. Ordered them in early Feb with an expected 8 week production. Didn't get the parts until mid October......... So the car has been sitting in my driveway on jack stands with the whole cooling system, carbs, intakes and such removed. Since getting the parts, discovered it was NOT a plug and play affair, tons of fabrication, powdercoating, and creative thinking..... Am rounding the corner, maybe 2 more months. Will be great when done, but man..........

Finally mounted the center fan yesterday




And installed the Fan Shroud




Had to custom fabricate, fit, and paint/powdercoat the engine surround pieces that seal the engine compartment from the road. Needs to be disassembled now and installed around the engine.




The Oil cooler will (likely) be mounted under the engine surround, but working on clearance issues. Trying to keep it above the lowest part of the motor and exhaust but still with clear airflow..... Don't want to, but it may end up on the engine lid. May also cut down the 'scoop' for better clearance. We will see.





Once that is done, I need to run the oil cooler lines, power for the cooler fan, figure out how to get a small blower fan hooked up to the heat box, then re-run all the wiring, sensors, fuel lines, and re-install the intakes, carbs, new cap and rotor, and then sort it all out.......

Currently grounded from riding till Mid January, weather permitting will start back on the Stornello due to it's lighter weight, I don't want to screw up the implants in the knee. Hope to be 100% by Spring and make 2021 a GOOD year for riding.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:31:08 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:49:54 AM »
Steve, glad to hear you're recovering from your recent surgery.  Like your idea of starting 2021 on one of your lighter bikes.  In May 2001, after 6 bypass surgery, I spent much of the rest of that summer on a delightful Kaw W650.  The 1999 K1200RS stayed parked until the following season.

Great pics of the 912 overhaul/rebuild.

Stay well.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20005
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »
2020 will be remembered as..."The Lost Year..." :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

No Cottonwood Guzzi N.A.R in May / No Datil Guzzi Rally in August / No Lake Henshaw, CA Guzzi N.A.R. in October / No upcoming Vegas Mecum vintage MC Auction in January... :embarrassed: :sad: :sad: :sad:

* Only 1 overnight trip (540 miles round trip) to Hannagan's Meadow Lodge in June
* Maybe I put 500 miles on the Victory (local rides only)
* Maybe 1000 miles on the Centauro GT (local rides + above)
* (SIGH) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hopefully, 2021 will be a better year for all of us...
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4637
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
Yep.  All my trips were placed on hold due to -.  Could not risk my son's varsity season by bringing home an unwanted guest.
Only about 5K miles riding all local.  Long was 420 round trip to BMW dealer in PA with a buddy  looking to buy one.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online nick949

  • All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3270
    • Nick Adams Writing
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 06:36:47 PM »
It's a sorry tale indeed. Less than half of my usual miles:

72 Eldorado:       2253 miles
74 750s:              745 miles
76 Convert:        2500 miles
86 Suzi Cade      8704 miles
60 Panther            46  miles

for a miserable total of :  14248 miles

But hey, there's still a month left in 2020  :thumb:

Nick
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:40:06 PM by nick949 »

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »
It's a sorry tale indeed. Less than half of my usual miles:

72 Eldorado:       2253 miles
74 750s:              745 miles
76 Convert:        2500 miles
86 Suzi Cade      8704 miles
60 Panther            46  miles

for a miserable total of :  14248 miles

But hey, there's still a month left in 2020  :thumb:

Nick
Not all that sorry!  What is this 86 Suzi Cade of which you speak?

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online nick949

  • All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3270
    • Nick Adams Writing
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
Cavalcade ...... now I've got it!  Suzuki has really built some world-beaters.  Thanks for clarifying for me.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Tom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 28880
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
Sucked for me too.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉 Hawaii.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15176
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:17 PM »
2020 started slow but ramped up and was on track to be a little better than average year. Even got to ride a few thousand miles with that guy holding the 70,000 mile sign a post or two above. Thursday evening my 2020 season came to an abrupt stop. Oh well now I can catch up on some other stuff.

What happened Thursday evening?
Charlie

Offline s1120

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2199
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 05:02:01 AM »
I hear you Bob.



Worst part, is I haven't been able to drive the 912 at all. I started some rehab/upgrades in April, and it took my custom part supplier 9 months to get me the parts. Ordered them in early Feb with an expected 8 week production. Didn't get the parts until mid October......... So the car has been sitting in my driveway on jack stands with the whole cooling system, carbs, intakes and such removed. Since getting the parts, discovered it was NOT a plug and play affair, tons of fabrication, powdercoating, and creative thinking..... Am rounding the corner, maybe 2 more months. Will be great when done, but man..........

Finally mounted the center fan yesterday




And installed the Fan Shroud




.

Interesting that your changing to a Corvair style fan. Im seeing some of the racers running real hot 'Vair engines going to the Porsche style.
Paul B

Online Perazzimx14

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6485
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 05:31:51 AM »
What happened Thursday evening?

Fractured the talus bone in my right foot.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15176
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 09:21:24 AM »
Fractured the talus bone in my right foot.

Ouch!
Charlie

Online Perazzimx14

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6485
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 10:12:54 AM »
Ouch!

Down but not out. Hopefully I'll get my foot casted tomorrow then in a week or so if the sidecar rig hasn't sold that'll be my transportation until I can get back on 2 wheels.

Got a few lemons on Thursday so I might as well make a big pitcher of lemonade

Online Tom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 28880
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
 :thumb:  Go easy. Listen to your body.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉 Hawaii.

Offline travelingbyguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1776
  • God hates a coward
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 12:55:10 PM »
Things are locked up pretty tight in WA. With state parks closed and campfire bans in National forests, I had 1 overnighter this summer.
We are busy at work and my strategy is to work and build equity so as to take 4 weeks next Summer for the National in New Hampshire (thank you, Randy Teft), God willing.
I have 6 weeks of vacation banked at this point.
I managed +\- 5k on 1200 Sport and a lot less on the others, commuting and day rides.

Bill Lovelady         IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline twowheeladdict

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6567
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 01:56:21 PM »
The last 8 months have been great for riding!  I also camped 30 nights in the last 8 months.  I stayed at 8 different Tennessee State Parks, 1 in Kentucky, and 2 in Georgia.  Got to ride new and interesting roads and a few favorites. 

I don't know how I am going to get back into the 50% work travel routine whenever that happens. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2015 Yamaha SR400
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline SmithSwede

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2191
  • I don't want a pickle
  • Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
Ok, I dug out my logbook.   Here’s where I’m at for 2020.

1996 Ducati 900SS/CR SuperSport.    1,118 mi
2016 Triumph Street Triple 675.         5,064
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone.              18,073

for a total of 24,255 miles. 

I’ve got some business trips planned in December plus my regular commuting, so I figure I’ll end the year at about 27,000 miles. 

Gee whiz Wally.  I sure do seem to like that little Guzzi. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:40:11 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3619
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »
Interesting that your changing to a Corvair style fan. Im seeing some of the racers running real hot 'Vair engines going to the Porsche style.

The motor is a 4cyl pulled and modified from the 914 which was pulled from the VW van pancake motor, so it had that squirrel fan at the rear that blew air over and down. Fine for stock 80hp, but am running larger bore pistons and cyls, a hot cam, dellorto drla carbs and high output ignition, with custom head work, and full tube header exhaust system. It is now pushing 160 or so at the crank 135 at the wheels. Stock system is barely adequate, and gets overwhelmed on track days or agressive mountain driving.

The 911 style kits are available too, but I went with this instead. Every thing is mocked up, making final adjustments. The air filters were just for storage and the interem, I have ITG's for them.



« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:10:53 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Jorg66

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 224
  • Location: Shoal Lake, Manitoba
Re: 2020 - Not a high mileage year
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
Holy cow !....27000, well for us up here ,this Year only Manitoba from [little in May and June] due to my Job in AG, total miles 7300 [300 on the VTX 1300 C and the Rest on the Cali. For us ,Wife and I ,quite alright . Lots 3-4 Day Trips and Camping.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here