Author Topic: Unexpected performance  (Read 510 times)

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
Unexpected performance
« on: May 22, 2024, 08:24:06 PM »
    I recently replaced the original mufflers on my 2020 V7 Racer with a set from Zard. Roughly a 17 lb weight loss. I don't notice any power increase, or loss. But what I really notice is how much easier the bike tips into curves. Who'ld of thought?

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Unexpected performance
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 09:58:49 PM »
Sometimes small changes give large improvements.

When I put a fork brace on my B-50, I noticed increased steering precision and reduced steering effort, particularly in the esses at Road Atlanta.

Since it was a BSA and already obsolete when I did it, I had to design it myself and have it made at a local machine shop.

I think you'll appreciate your modification.   :thumb:
1990 MilleGT

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 02:56:18 AM »
I've long been 'improving' my bikes with all manner of mods from exhausts to tuning etc. but the one thing that struck me the greatest was fitting lighter wheels to my Ducati 916.

Originally had the OEM 3-spoke wheels and I swapped them for some Forged alloy 10-spoke items. I don't recall the actual weight difference but when they arrived I thought they'd only sent me one wheel as the box was so light but they totally transformed the way the bike goes, stops and especially turns, making an already agile bike handle so much better.

As such, I always advocate that if you can make just one mod to your bike then lighter wheels is the way to go of course why stop at just the one mod?

Now my LM2 has the heaviest wheels I've ever known on a bike but, AFAIK no-one makes ultra light replacements..  :undecided:
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 05:34:38 AM »
Now my LM2 has the heaviest wheels I've ever known on a bike but, AFAIK no-one makes ultra light replacements..  :undecided:

Long ago, I saw a leMans with Astralite wheels, but unfortunately they have been out of production for decades.

They were discussed a while back:  https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=108108.0
1990 MilleGT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 05:34:38 AM »

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 09:24:28 AM »
I found a set of Astralites for my Lemans special. Astralite wheels were light in their day, not so special compared to a modern factory wheel. I have a set of HRC aluminum wheels for my other project and they weigh about the same as the astralites. Stock guzzi mags from the '80s and the '90s are boat anchors.

the biggest advantage is being able to fit slightly more modern tires. ( 120/70-17 front and 155/18 rear)

pic share

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:42:29 AM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 09:32:51 AM »
I've long been 'improving' my bikes with all manner of mods from exhausts to tuning etc. but the one thing that struck me the greatest was fitting lighter wheels to my Ducati 916.

Originally had the OEM 3-spoke wheels and I swapped them for some Forged alloy 10-spoke items. I don't recall the actual weight difference but when they arrived I thought they'd only sent me one wheel as the box was so light but they totally transformed the way the bike goes, stops and especially turns, making an already agile bike handle so much better.

As such, I always advocate that if you can make just one mod to your bike then lighter wheels is the way to go of course why stop at just the one mod?

Back in 883 Sportster racing days, those of us not in the regular top 5 wondered how the top guys got so much more torque from their engines coming out of corners. After it all ended, it came out that they had been machining material from the rim circumference, inside the tire where no tech inspectors thought to look. I never thought of finding someone with a lathe big enough to do that, but 2-3 pounds of rotating mass at the rim of those big wheels was a huge advantage.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here