Author Topic: Feint Oil light when switched off  (Read 811 times)

Offline shepped

• New Egg
Feint Oil light when switched off
« on: October 15, 2024, 05:10:06 PM »
Hi All

Already need some help with my 2006 Nevada 750 ie
I have a feint oil light on when the ignition is switched off
I have checked the oil pressure switch and tried to see if i can find a bad earth but to no avail.
i have searched the site and it seems a few have reported the same issue but with no conclusion
I guess it may be the ignition switch or indeed the printed circuit inside the clocks.
Bike works fine as in it starts the battery light and oil light go out as they should .I did have to recharge the battery so i am now going to check if there is a charge from the alternator or if i have a parasitic drain (and could possibly be a sign of the ignition switch but not sure how to test that).
Any help would be much appreciated as i have just spent the last 2 hours messing about. Just to add this is a relative new issue as a couple of days ago it did not have this problem..thank you in advance

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Feint Oil light when switched off
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2024, 05:59:15 PM »
It might be tracking across the sensor insulator,
Disconnect the wire from the sensor, give the insulator a good wipe and perhaps spray with something. i.e. WD40

If its an LED type lamp it only takes a couple of milliamps to light up.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 07:31:12 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2024, 07:47:05 PM »
   Could be the regulator/rectifier starting to fail. I had a 2001 California EV and the headlight would stay on with the ignition turned off. The R/R was the problem.

Offline Paul_Tim

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2024, 02:20:30 AM »
Sounds like you still have a voltage applied to the circuit/sensor when the ignition is switched off, something has broken.
Need to start disconnecting things to try and track it down but I'd start with the rectifier/regulator, failed diode could allow current to flow via the alternator windings back into the rest of the system.
Good luck as this could be a fun ride, Italian electrics design can be a bit "interesting"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2024, 02:20:30 AM »

Offline shepped

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2024, 10:54:08 AM »
Sounds like you still have a voltage applied to the circuit/sensor when the ignition is switched off, something has broken.
Need to start disconnecting things to try and track it down but I'd start with the rectifier/regulator, failed diode could allow current to flow via the alternator windings back into the rest of the system.
Good luck as this could be a fun ride, Italian electrics design can be a bit "interesting"
..Its funny that you mention the rectifier as i was playing around here when adjusting/checking the rear brake so i think i will have another go here .....lovely looking bike however sure is testing with its electrics. When i have found the culprit i will be sure to report back and i will find the problem...thanks Chaps for all your help

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2024, 12:29:52 PM »
If you need to look at a manual to help with the regulator testing. I think Cadre Cycle has the manual online.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2024, 11:23:52 PM »
Moto Guzzi, making electricians out of owners since 1921
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2024, 06:53:02 AM »
The 750 smallblocks have a high parasitic drain when sitting.  It's standard practice to disconnect the battery in off season.  Just if you can't figure it out. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline shepped

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2024, 07:05:23 AM »
Hi All

I think i have found the problem or i think i have.
i think it is to do with the sensor i have disconnected the wire and the light goes out thought i had checked that first go round after playing with ll the other wires around it.I have ordered a new sensor but my question is how do i get in there to undo it and fit a new one do i have to take the airbox out seems like mission impossible...any help much appreciated or an videos/idiot guides would be helpful thank you Dave

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2024, 09:31:09 AM »
Did you give the sensor insulator a good wipe, sometimes it's just current leaking across a dirty surface.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline shepped

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2024, 11:44:22 AM »
Did you give the sensor insulator a good wipe, sometimes it's just current leaking across a dirty surface.
yes i did and gave it a squirt of WD put when i took the wire off it the light disappeared so i have ordered a genuine sensor but can seem to work an easy way to get in there...I managed to take the wire off the spade terminal and put it back with a lot of wiggling about so i have concluded my problem lies around here

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2024, 02:38:25 PM »
I looked for a 2006 Nevada among Carl Allison's drawings but this 2002 was the best i could find.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2002_Nevada_series_2.gif but I don't think it applies.
This shows regular Incandescent lamps which draw quite a bit of current
You talk about printed circuits in the clocks which makes me think they may be more modern with LED type lamps.
LEDs require much less current to light up, < 5 mA so it could be just tracking across the insulator.
What I cut figure out, if the key is turned off, how is the light getting 12 Volts.
Sometimes they have permanent 12 Volts on a microprocessor instrument so it doesn't lose its memory.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2024, 03:54:18 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline shepped

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2024, 07:57:59 PM »
I looked for a 2006 Nevada among Carl Allison's drawings but this 2002 was the best i could find.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2002_Nevada_series_2.gif but I don't think it applies.
This shows regular Incandescent lamps which draw quite a bit of current
You talk about printed circuits in the clocks which makes me think they may be more modern with LED type lamps.
LEDs require much less current to light up, < 5 mA so it could be just tracking across the insulator.
What I cut figure out, if the key is turned off, how is the light getting 12 Volts.
Sometimes they have permanent 12 Volts on a microprocessor instrument so it doesn't lose its memory.
yes i think the 2002 clocks are different to mine and of course my bike is the fuel injected model. I am going to try and replace this sensor but really want to understand how to get in to it without moving the airbox maybe someone could shine some light on this and i  will take some pictures of where i am at and post them

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2024, 06:29:05 PM »
Since we are talking about Nevadas, I'll just remind everyone of the board's favorite owner of that model:  Mr. Nevada.

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here