Author Topic: Survey out of curiosity  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Survey out of curiosity
« on: August 30, 2026, 10:58:25 AM »
I can’t help to wonder how many of you guys follow the same source of information when it comes to doing work and maintenance on my bikes and vehicles.
Since the AI sources has become readily accessible to man kind, I have found myself going to this source on a daily basis. In fact this very source saved me from putting the wrong antifreeze in my 2014 jeep Grand Cherokee, as you can no longer just grab a jug of green antifreeze and dump it in your vehicle. And I assume that our liquid cooled bikes have a particular antifreeze requirement.
Anyway, I’m just curious to see if I’m any different, with this practice as the subject, than most of our population.

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3246
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2026, 11:01:47 AM »

To date, I have not willingly or knowingly accessed AI for information.

But, I have had AI contact me and attempt to advise me.

Whenever I attempt to advise AI, it ignores me.  I've concluded AI must be a woman.

Or maybe a Moto Guzzi owner?

1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3596
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2026, 12:02:22 PM »
My cars get serviced at a quik change place. My bike, I just use the manual that came with it. I do play with AI to make cartoons or hybrid vehicles images that are a mash of with other vehicles.






Offline Dr. Enzo Toma

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 707
  • Location: Colorado, US
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2026, 12:08:59 PM »
Search AI summarizes bad data along with good data. Best to find the data at its source (e.g. the manual), though sometimes even the manufacturers get their own specs wrong.

I'll also mention that if you are looking into scientific data rather than motorcycle specs, many higher education and research institutes block AI web crawlers (e.g. GPTBot) since they behave poorly and create an overwhelming amount of traffic. So for example if you ask ChatGPT a question, it may not have access to the reputable source, but it has access to many of the less reputable ones.
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 850 Centenario
2027 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
MGNOC Member

Offline AJ Huff

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4263
  • Location: College Community IA
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2026, 12:12:47 PM »
I don't use AI other than to read the AI summary at the top of Google search results
which I find to be wrong very often. I don't have any plans to use AI. I can't think of anything
where it would be useful for me.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline RinkRat II

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2294
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2026, 12:32:50 PM »

 Interesting replies, I have purposely asked AI about a dozen questions that I already know the answer to. More than half of the tech questions come back wrong or vaguely answered. General questions are only a little better. The deeper you make it dive, the better it gets.  I'm still a shop manual kinda guy.  My$.02

    Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2026, 01:10:14 PM »
I have found out recently that if you instruct AI, at the get go, to drop the “must be nice and please” responses, you will actually get more precise responses and won’t have to challenge its answers near as much.

Offline michaell32

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 172
  • Location: Salt Lake City
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2026, 02:30:07 PM »
I've seen how inaccurate AI is so I won't trust it. Luckily I have been able to find the factory service manual for everything I own. Youtube has been helpful as well. I recently used it to remove the door panel on a friend's Hyundai so I can fix the lock.
2003 California EV
2018 Suzuki DR650
78 Honda GL1000

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2026, 02:35:54 PM »
I've seen how inaccurate AI is so I won't trust it. Luckily I have been able to find the factory service manual for everything I own. Youtube has been helpful as well. I recently used it to remove the door panel on a friend's Hyundai so I can fix the lock.
+ one on Utube. I had an issue with my diesel tractor for a long time when finally one night while surfing Utube the internet, I stumbled on the answer from a tobacco chewing hillbilly.

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1451
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2026, 02:44:59 PM »
Prime source is the FSM/Clymer/Haynes/whatever manual I have for any given machine. I have also used YouTube for the past decade to learn about tips and tricks not listed in the manual. As of lately, I also use AI, but it is full of mistakes that can lead people astray. Like telling you to reduce oil level in the fork to make it more progressive, which was the latest error to appear. So I take everything from AI with a pinch of salt, but it can also be to good help.
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2026, 03:14:05 PM »
Factory manuals, Guzziology, ThisOldTractor.com
Charlie

Offline lucian

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3333
  • Location: Maine, Ayuh
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2026, 06:05:01 PM »
I used AI once for a fried clam recipe , didn't end well . I'm done with it.

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5580
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2026, 09:44:06 PM »
I'm not a fan. It's fine for making stupid pictures for entertainment purposes.

My summary of AI - Garbage in, garbage out.
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline frozengoose

  • To eaches his onus...
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • Posts: 384
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2026, 10:14:07 PM »
Like most of the stuff on the internets, you take it with a grain of salt until you confirm it. My last post here (Blue Bores...) had a lot of conflicting comments, so I checked it on AI Goggle. Surprisingly, to me at least, it agreed with some of the comments almost completely. So that's what I did when I put the motor back together. The other thing was that the AI cited references for its comments, which I suppose should add some weight to them, but it also thanked me for my questions and offered help in the future. Scary, maybe but I guess it's to make you want to go back and use it again. So like anything, use for what it's worth and move on to other sources. I have a Haynes manual I got with the bike, so that's what I use most of the time. But it's not infallible, so better to check before there's a problem.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline ridingron

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 585
  • Location: Orlando
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2026, 11:50:23 PM »
Using a grain of salt when dealing with AI? I use the whole box with another box ready nearby.

Online MikeP996

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 278
  • Location: UK/USA
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2026, 02:56:22 AM »
 All AI does is summarize a bunch of information/opinions.  AI doesn't "know" anything it just vomits information gathered from all sources available.  It cannot distinguish between good and bad information.  So, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for! ;)
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special (UK)
1976 Honda CB400F (UK)
2017 BMW R1200RS (TX)
'73 Norton Commando (Mexico
2015 BMW R9T (Mexico)
(Wife's bikes:
2015 Ducati Diavel (TX)
2019 Honda Africa Twin  (Mexico)
2021 Honda NC750  (UK)

Offline DoubleGuzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 966
  • '19 V7III CarbonS; '11 750Breva; '79 V50II.
  • Location: NE Écosse
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2026, 03:45:23 AM »
Here's a question for it: Who in Wildguzzi has the highest post/like ratio?
Mike above must be near the top of the pile.  :cheesy:
...
Ans.
Quote
Specific user statistics like a "post-to-like ratio" are not publicly indexed or tracked in a formal leaderboard on the Wildguzzi Forum.
See, it's dumb.  :violent1:
Nearly natural progression..
Past: SS50, Z200, Z250B, Z400J, (H100), GT750, K100, ZR1100, 900 Trident, 955 Sprint ST, (ZR550, M600), 900 ST, (B750), (V7C).
Present: V7III CS, (V50II), (Breva 750)

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2026, 04:22:20 AM »
I used AI once for a fried clam recipe , didn't end well . I'm done with it.
I wonder if maybe you should have dug a little deeper?
For the clams and the AI information 🤔🥵😉🤣
Love ya brother.

Offline SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3246
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2026, 05:54:33 AM »
All AI does is summarize a bunch of information/opinions.  AI doesn't "know" anything it just vomits information gathered from all sources available.  It cannot distinguish between good and bad information.  So, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for! ;)

Well said.  Similar to Wikipedia.
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline redrider90

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2490
  • Location: NC
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2026, 10:27:47 AM »
AI is way over rated. So much bad/inaccurate information gets mixed into AI and spit out.  I absolutely hate it. It limits the amount of information that used to be readily available every time I would do a search. And then AI is presented as if it is a human being. You enter a search and it uses the world "thinking" when in fact it is processing information as computers do not think. Also it uses the single possessive "I" again misleading as if it human.   I would use Duck Duck Go but my old 2013 Mac Air running Big Sur will not run Duck Duck Go.
My wife who is not computer savvy even complains about AI. AI is not a done deal yet. It may still go belly up and then watch the market crash.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1271
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2026, 11:02:20 AM »
No chance of AI going belly up. Not unless you also think we’re going back to carburetors, distributors and drum brakes etc. The tech companies are all money centered and much of AI is and will be used to replace actual human interaction. (less people, more technology)
It’s difficult to make an appointment to get your car oil changed or make a doctor appointment with an actual person.
It’s nearly all an AI program now. Even most businesses no longer have a receptionist. But they have an AI computer program.

Within the next few years when humanoid AI robots start being released to the public, hang on.
I’m very glad to be in the fourth quarter of my working career.

Listen to just about any college commencement speech. When the speaker mentions AI, the students boo. As they should.
The students know they can’t compete against most AI programs.

Sure, AI is mostly a summary of what’s already been published. It’s still faster than just about any human in
gathering and presenting those results. Also, once you tell it it made an error, like any computer it won’t
make that same mistake a second time.

I use Grok AI on a regular basis. It sources most Moto Guzzi information from either WG or GuzziTech. I like that I can easily click on the link Grok AI provides to confirm the information meets my criteria and context.

As always, the more specific the instruction you give AI the better the result. Ask a 'general' question without being specific and you'll likely be disappointed with the response. To me, that's on the person asking, not the AI program.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2026, 11:14:20 AM by TN Mark »

Offline Motormike

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Location: Tennessee
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2026, 11:38:15 AM »
I have found out recently that if you instruct AI, at the get go, to drop the “must be nice and please” responses, you will actually get more precise responses and won’t have to challenge its answers near as much.

This.  I use AI for what it is, a super-fast search engine.  The "tone-of-voice" it sometimes uses drives me nuts.  I instruct it to drop all the enthusiastic niceties and converse in a factual business-line tone. Flowery adjectives and condescending encouragement not required.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1301
  • Location: Lancaster, PA
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2026, 11:49:47 AM »
Yes, I use it like I use Google. Very helpful at times, but… as someone famous once said…

“TRUST, BUT VERIFY”
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5419
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2026, 10:51:14 PM »
I’ve noticed since the proliferation of computers and internet, the depth of thought has been reduced. Ai amplifies the reduction. Convenience is the hook, it’s so handy. Probably they said that about the printing press and movable type.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2026, 12:12:52 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2026, 07:25:33 AM »
You are spot on in regards to the “ convenience” aspect.
Standing in Walmart the other day to get oil and a filter for an oil change. Now what filter does my 2005 Ram 1500 take? Hey Seri…… or hey Seri, “what is the torque spec on the oil pan plug nut on my 2002 moto guzzi Stone?
Yes AI it is very convenient and it’s a great tool for those of us that are not geniuses who knows everything about everything. At 73 years old I’m just thankful that I have a wife that was smart enough to help me make it into the 21 century.

Online MikeP996

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 278
  • Location: UK/USA
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2026, 07:34:50 AM »
"Hey Seri…… or hey Seri, “what is the torque spec on the oil pan plug nut on my 2002 moto guzzi Stone?"

I'd be reluctant to use that information without cross-checking it.  Siri is just summarizing input; she might have chosen the correct number... or not.  ;) 

Further - I just asked Siri for that info on my V7 850 and got three answers - from "hand tight" to 15lb/ft.  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2026, 07:46:30 AM by MikeP996 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special (UK)
1976 Honda CB400F (UK)
2017 BMW R1200RS (TX)
'73 Norton Commando (Mexico
2015 BMW R9T (Mexico)
(Wife's bikes:
2015 Ducati Diavel (TX)
2019 Honda Africa Twin  (Mexico)
2021 Honda NC750  (UK)

Offline TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1271
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2026, 08:14:17 AM »
If Siri or whatever AI regurgitating source you use doesn’t provide verification links, stop using it immediately.

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2026, 09:48:48 AM »
"Hey Seri…… or hey Seri, “what is the torque spec on the oil pan plug nut on my 2002 moto guzzi Stone?"

I'd be reluctant to use that information without cross-checking it.  Siri is just summarizing input; she might have chosen the correct number... or not.  ;) 

Further - I just asked Siri for that info on my V7 850 and got three answers - from "hand tight" to 15lb/ft.  :)
I guess Siri (AI) is like us humans it’s information can vary and be spot on sometimes or flat out wrong.
And definitely verify when wrong information can produce catastrophic mistakes.

Offline PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3768
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2026, 10:24:52 AM »
My only contact with AI is when I search using google and suggestions are presented. Best internet tool for me is youtube. Actual people, (I assume) working on the same item I am trying to get info on or repair.

Pete

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6314
Re: Survey out of curiosity
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2026, 11:40:52 AM »
My only contact with AI is when I search using google and suggestions are presented. Best internet tool for me is youtube. Actual people, (I assume) working on the same item I am trying to get info on or repair.

Pete
I’ve saved a lot of money and time getting walked through a project with the assistance of Utube. 👍
I think we can come to the conclusion that AI assisted as well as Utube if both are assisted with a little knowledge of the subject at hand and a good serving of common sense and the willingness to double check from other sources to confirm good information had been provided.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2026, 08:12:01 PM by Ncdan »

 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here