Author Topic: Motorcycle Uglification  (Read 10762 times)

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2026, 11:58:21 PM »
I don't hate BMWs.  I've owned several. I am having my doubts about Huzo, however.
I don’t hate them either, they just carry a stigma that’s hard to eradicate. They are fairly harmless in the main.

Online SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3234
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2026, 07:28:46 AM »
Seriously? A thread about hating on someone else’s choice of motorcycle?

We can, and should do better.

You might be right, buy hey, there is virtue, and there is fun.

People who don't know the difference are really boring......   :wink:
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Online SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3234
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2026, 07:31:57 AM »
I don’t hate them either, they just carry a stigma that’s hard to eradicate. They are fairly harmless in the main.

BMW's, Moto Guzzi's and other motorcycles are all inanimate objects.

The owners on the other hand......are a whole different matter.   :wink:

Some of them work very hard at maintaining the stereotypes!

1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Online TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1262
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2026, 07:42:10 AM »
You might be right, buy hey, there is virtue, and there is fun.

People who don't know the difference are really boring......   :wink:


Yea, some have a difficult time avoiding mob mentality, mob behavior and group think.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2026, 07:44:54 AM by TN Mark »

Offline Vagrant

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2910
  • Location: Gainesville, Ga or Green Valley Az.
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2026, 08:23:36 AM »
In 1963 my buddy Doug Kirkpatrick coined the phrase "playing the role." Nothing fits better and the Harley and BMW crowd do it best. Said while wearing my red suspenders.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2026 V7-850 Sport, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2025 V85 the fast red one! 2023 V85 Guardian of the Oreo's
L-196, L-197

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2026, 08:24:27 AM »
But you gotta’ admit, they are a good little conversation starter.

Offline Perazzimx14

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6481
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2026, 08:39:10 AM »
I don’t hate them either, they just carry a stigma that’s hard to eradicate. They are fairly harmless in the main.

Have you tried to eradicate the stigma or continue to perpetuate it?

Online SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3234
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2026, 08:52:21 AM »
In 1963 my buddy Doug Kirkpatrick coined the phrase "playing the role." Nothing fits better and the Harley and BMW crowd do it best. Said while wearing my red suspenders.

 :thumb:

Well said,

But you have to throw Moto Guzzi and Ducati owners in the same herd.

They are sensitive and get offended if you don't recognize their superior, sophisticated taste.
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Online SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3234
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2026, 08:53:59 AM »
Have you tried to eradicate the stigma or continue to perpetuate it?

I've never had a Harley rider or a BMW rider correct me on how to pronounce the name of their motorcycle!

Oooops, my bad.....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2026, 08:57:43 AM by SIR REAL ED »
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline bacongrease

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
  • Location: Iowa
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2026, 08:59:28 AM »

  Anything to cover that BMW lump is good, the ugliest engine ever.   :popcorn:

Online Tusayan

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1905
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2026, 09:18:29 AM »
I think Huzo’s harsh opinions reflect the Australian (commonwealth) class system he apparently grew up in, in which vilifying anything expensive gets a reinforcing response from a large number of people, and is perpetuated. On a US based website it does not gather the same response, and I think people are a bit shocked to see it.

Years ago a friend and I walked out of an ordinary UK pub, only to find a guy peeing on the side of his base model BMW 318 as a way to strike out against a little shitbox German economy car and its entirely normal young owner.  A sad situation all around for people who won’t discipline themselves to escape it, even as older men.

Just my observation.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2026, 09:42:20 AM by Tusayan »

Online SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3234
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2026, 09:48:29 AM »
I think Huzo’s harsh opinions reflect the Australian (commonwealth) class system he apparently grew up in, in which vilifying anything expensive gets a reinforcing response from a large number of people, and is perpetuated. On a US based website it does not gather the same response, and I think people are a bit shocked to see it.

Just my observation.

A very reasonable observation. 

Culture, and especially humor is always relative, local and often time dependent.  In the US, culture can vary tremendously over less than 100 miles, and the differences between the generations can be enormous.

Watching my niece move from Upstate New York, to New York City, and then to Milan, Italy and modify her personality along the way has been a delightful experience.

I've talked to Huzo on the phone, and IMO, he is a typical, blue collar American male from my generation.  We grew up without air conditioning, we often got our hands dirty and shed blood while earning a paycheck, complainers were mocked without mercy, safety practices were often ignored, and we were taught from a young age, that being offended is a choice that a person makes. 

The transmitter can not control how the receiver will interpret the message.

Huzo would fit in well in many parts of America.  Of course, his inability to speak American would be apparent..... But he can fake an excellent New York City accent, and that would impress a lot of people.

1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

Offline Perazzimx14

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6481
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2026, 11:21:51 AM »
  Anything to cover that BMW lump is good, the ugliest engine ever.   :popcorn:

Agreed, I don't like parallel twins either :thumb:


Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2026, 04:16:44 PM »
Have you tried to eradicate the stigma or continue to perpetuate it?
Neither..
Just identify that it exists, I do get a sort of perverse pleasure in watching guys getting their collective panties in a bunch when you point out a defining trait in their respective characters.
Imagine if you had the balls to go up to a group of Hell’s Angels at their AGM and announce to them that they all looked “sweet” as they try to emulate each other’s behavioural traits.
After they got their Oxford dictionaries out to look up what “behavioural” means, they’d be really cross… :laugh:
I really love humans, I used to be one, they react hilariously when responded to with veiled sarcasm or being damned with faint praise.
Like Monty Python or Fawlty Towers.
For instance, I like to predict who will press the “like” button when I put up a targeted response, or who will be the first to fire one across my bow, when I tinker around the edges of directing some playful derision towards say..BMW devotees.
It’s all theatre… The Brits and Aussies absolutely dine out on it, the Yanks tend to feel attacked.
I really love it when the cannon is turned around onto me and I have to defend the indefensible, it’s like watching a Dean Withers video, just pure theatrical farce.
So Perrazimx14…?
I don’t want to eradicate anything, I just think it’s really cute how the mechanics of all this works…(and it does).
Now I can’t wait to see the response to this, I’ll be surprised if anyone does, it’s a hard stance to argue with.


Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2026, 04:24:08 PM »
A very reasonable observation. 

Culture, and especially humor is always relative, local and often time dependent.  In the US, culture can vary tremendously over less than 100 miles, and the differences between the generations can be enormous.

Watching my niece move from Upstate New York, to New York City, and then to Milan, Italy and modify her personality along the way has been a delightful experience.

I've talked to Huzo on the phone, and IMO, he is a typical, blue collar American male from my generation.  We grew up without air conditioning, we often got our hands dirty and shed blood while earning a paycheck, complainers were mocked without mercy, safety practices were often ignored, and we were taught from a young age, that being offended is a choice that a person makes. 

The transmitter can not control how the receiver will interpret the message.

Huzo would fit in well in many parts of America.  Of course, his inability to speak American would be apparent..... But he can fake an excellent New York City accent, and that would impress a lot of people.
We are often considered a bunch of rough diamonds down here in Australia and can be accused of lacking culture.
I disagree… We’ve got more culture than a Penicillin factory…
As for the manufactured Noooow York accent ?
I was once described as a cunninglinguist.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2026, 05:38:19 AM by Huzo »

Online TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1262
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2026, 04:30:29 PM »

Like Monty Python or Fawlty Towers.


Two of the very best: ever.

Thank you for your post.

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2026, 04:32:11 PM »
I think Huzo’s harsh opinions reflect the Australian (commonwealth) class system he apparently grew up in, in which vilifying anything expensive gets a reinforcing response from a large number of people, and is perpetuated. On a US based website it does not gather the same response, and I think people are a bit shocked to see it.

Years ago a friend and I walked out of an ordinary UK pub, only to find a guy peeing on the side of his base model BMW 318 as a way to strike out against a little shitbox German economy car and its entirely normal young owner.  A sad situation all around for people who won’t discipline themselves to escape it, even as older men.

Just my observation.
We don’t have a class “system” as such Tusayan, there is only one class here in Oz…high.
I would jump to the defence of the peeing drunk, in his maggotted state, he may have mistaken BMW for PMW.
An entirely understandable state of affairs one would think.

Online blu guzz

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1454
  • Loves to ride
  • Location: Northern Kentuycky
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2026, 07:23:34 AM »
BMW lost me in 2005 when they went from Botticelli to Picasso for their design work.  I never owned a model later than 04. The GS was always ugly, but it was at least functionally ugly and could be respected. All the rest, forgetaboutit.
Blue Guzz

Online SIR REAL ED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3234
  • uh.... it's personal....
  • Location: Forest, VA
Re: Motorcycle Uglification
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2026, 07:37:31 AM »

I really love humans, I used to be one, they react hilariously when responded to with veiled sarcasm or being damned with faint praise.
Like Monty Python or Fawlty Towers.
For instance, I like to predict who will press the “like” button when I put up a targeted response, or who will be the first to fire one across my bow, when I tinker around the edges of directing some playful derision towards say..BMW devotees.
It’s all theatre… The Brits and Aussies absolutely dine out on it, the Yanks tend to feel attacked.
I really love it when the cannon is turned around onto me and I have to defend the indefensible, it’s like watching a Dean Withers video, just pure theatrical farce.
So Perrazimx14…?
I don’t want to eradicate anything, I just think it’s really cute how the mechanics of all this works…(and it does).
Now I can’t wait to see the response to this, I’ll be surprised if anyone does, it’s a hard stance to argue with.

I refuse to believe you used to be human!  Did you "get better" or do you ever long for the "good ole days?"

These threads remind me of a conversation when a friend was stereotyping a large group of people.

I replied "Really?  I assume you have talked to all of them?"

He looked puzzled so I added "Well how many of them have you actually met?"

He still didn't catch it...... 
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
2002 MZ Skorpion
1994 DR Skorpion

 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here