Author Topic: recommendations : shocks  (Read 5071 times)

Offline bacongrease

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
  • Location: Iowa
recommendations : shocks
« on: September 09, 2026, 03:18:48 PM »
2004 Stone Touring.

  suggestions for shocks, not in the $15K range.  I have no idea what shocks are on it but they are leaking.  Rebuildable I don't know.

I just tool around town, the last long trip really adjusted my back.     :cool:
I prefer the FXR for road trips.   

thanks.

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2026, 03:27:04 PM »
Very difficult to give you the best answer - for you. We all differ in what we want from our suspension, but I have good experience with Hagon and Ikon and YSS, all are reasonably priced and (other than the cheaper models) can be rebuilt if needed. No, they are not Ohlins, but nor to they carry Ohlins price tags.
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits


Online PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3758
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2026, 04:54:42 PM »
I have used Konis/Ikons on my 850 LeMans and ‘98 EV plus a BMW Airhead. Decent shocks that won’t break the bank and are rebuildable.

Pete

Offline Michael_A

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • *
  • Posts: 71
    • Penguin Video Productions
  • Location: Out in the west part of Texas...
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2026, 07:44:14 PM »
I second Hagon's. Had them on several bikes in the past, and they are currently on my 99 Bassa. Good value for $$.

Offline bacongrease

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
  • Location: Iowa
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2026, 09:31:16 PM »

 I believe they are YSS as the  PO left a brochure on YSS with some other papers.  But I do think I will repair as I know nothing about that.    :embarrassed:

Offline MikeP996

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Location: UK/USA
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2026, 01:42:55 AM »
I bought a set of Hagons for my '21 V7 to replace the OEM shocks that I felt were too stiff - .  I ordered the Hagons, supplying my weight w/gear so they would supply the appropriate spring.

 They are TERRIBLE. 

There is almost no "shock absorbing."  Some normal road potholes, etc are painful in the spine.  I've had them on the bike for about 6 months now and have tried spring settings from literally loose on the shock mount to quite tight (full length screw type adjustment for the springs).  VERY disappointed.  I didn't think the OEM shocks were very good but I don't recall them being this bad.  Since other folks have had good results with Hagon, I'm wondering if they (Hagon) misread my weight and added 50+Kg to it...   My next project is to remove them/reinstall the OEMs.

2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special (UK)
1976 Honda CB400F (UK)
2017 BMW R1200RS (TX)
'73 Norton Commando (Mexico
2015 BMW R9T (Mexico)
(Wife's bikes:
2015 Ducati Diavel (TX)
2019 Honda Africa Twin  (Mexico)
2021 Honda NC750  (UK)

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2026, 02:05:55 AM »
Sounds like either spring and damping do not match, or they are simply just too hard. Have you measured sag with no load and you sitting normally in full riding gear? I would start there. If the spring rate seems fine, the issue is damping. Both too little and too much damping can lead to a harsh ride. Here is a video discussing and showing rebound damping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDL_jREhEE
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline MikeP996

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Location: UK/USA
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2026, 06:18:47 AM »
Thanks!  Yes, I've checked sag (several times) and it is in the correct range.   The adjuster on the Hagon Nitro shocks changes compression and rebound damping at the same time; they are not individually adjustable.  Since the sag is OK I guess it means the spring is correct(?).  So it seems to me that there is too much compression damping but I'm no suspension expert!  Probably the smart thing would be to contact Hagon. ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2026, 06:19:31 AM by MikeP996 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special (UK)
1976 Honda CB400F (UK)
2017 BMW R1200RS (TX)
'73 Norton Commando (Mexico
2015 BMW R9T (Mexico)
(Wife's bikes:
2015 Ducati Diavel (TX)
2019 Honda Africa Twin  (Mexico)
2021 Honda NC750  (UK)

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2026, 07:00:14 AM »
If you have some sag unladen, and correct with you seated, damping does indeed sound like the culprit. Too much rebound will tend to compress the spring and keep the shock low and under more tension, and too much compression will prevent the shock from moving fast enough. However, way too little compression can cause the wheel to leave the ground and come crashing back, which can make it seem like the suspension is too hard due to the wheel bouncing instead of rolling over the surface.
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline malik

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2446
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2026, 07:26:45 AM »
Speaking of V7s, I have 2 of them, one with Gazi sticks, the other with Ikons. Better than stock, but not by much. I did test ride the V7 III Racer (came with Ohlins standard) and that was impressively sublime. The test ride was over a local biking road with the usual bumps & holes, and run by the Australian distributor, who I surmise actually went to the trouble to set the shocks up properly. If I had the money, I'd get them in a flash. A significantly better ride.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Vagrant

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2910
  • Location: Gainesville, Ga or Green Valley Az.
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2026, 08:17:20 AM »
https://www.windingroads.co.uk/moto-guzzi-shock-absorbers
They are now shipping to the US. My v85 was a total of $571 US delivered to the door after shipping, customs and $ exchange. Just contact them.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2026 V7-850 Sport, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2025 V85 the fast red one! 2023 V85 Guardian of the Oreo's
L-196, L-197

Offline bacongrease

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
  • Location: Iowa
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2026, 11:15:18 AM »

  BTW...one shock is upside down..   do you recommend new shocks installed the same?     :undecided:

 :cool:

Offline bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10044
  • Location: Central Il
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2026, 11:55:29 AM »
For just "tooling around"  Ikons will fit the bill and then some.  I don't know anything about YSS, but I do know Hagons are going to cost more, and for your needs I don't see any point.   I'v put Ikons, most are rebuildable, on several  bikes and found them to be superior to stock in all cases.
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Online PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3758
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2026, 02:26:47 PM »
I have Hagons on my Norton. I gave them all the info and received a pair with no preload or rebound adjust. They were better than stock but prefer something you can adjust to your liking plus compensate for wear on the shock and changes to your body. Ikon 7610 series have both. Shown at 525 bucks direct from Ikon USA.

Pete

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2026, 04:11:42 PM »
I have Hagons on my Norton. I gave them all the info and received a pair with no preload or rebound adjust. They were better than stock but prefer something you can adjust to your liking plus compensate for wear on the shock and changes to your body. Ikon 7610 series have both. Shown at 525 bucks direct from Ikon USA.

Pete

Are you sure they cannot have preload altered? On some, the ramps are hidden under a chrome ring at the bottom, but they can still be adjusted. At least the ones that have crossed my path.
Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3758
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2026, 04:29:42 PM »
Are you sure they cannot have preload altered? On some, the ramps are hidden under a chrome ring at the bottom, but they can still be adjusted. At least the ones that have crossed my path.

When I ordered them some 30 plus years ago thats what was offered. Checking their website today I see that they have a number of different options. I did have Ikons on my ‘98 EV though, basically the same bike that OP has and they were a significant improvement over stock.

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14137
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2026, 04:41:05 PM »
Call MG Cycle.
Tell them you want Ikon's.
Install and enjoy.
The end.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Online PeteS

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3758

Offline faffi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Bloody foreigner from Norway
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2026, 01:31:11 AM »
When I ordered them some 30 plus years ago thats what was offered. Checking their website today I see that they have a number of different options. I did have Ikons on my ‘98 EV though, basically the same bike that OP has and they were a significant improvement over stock.

Pete

You are absolutely correct about no spring preload, which was new to me, but I would also expect such a cheap design to be borderline regarding every component.

From AI:
Yes, Hagon Shocks manufactured and sold basic replacement motorcycle shocks featuring fixed or non-adjustable spring preload designs during the mid-1990s and earlier)

Design: Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, their entry-level budget replacement twin-shocks were often built to a specific predefined spring rate matching the rider's weight, omitting threaded adjustment collars or stepped cam adjusters on certain budget-line applications.

Current bikes:
2002 BT1100
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline MikeP996

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Location: UK/USA
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2026, 08:40:20 AM »
APOLOGIES TO HAGON!!!!!!

In my earlier post I stated how terrible a set of Hagon Nitros were on my V7.  Well, they aren't any more...In fact, they are quite good. 

How, you are asking, did this change of opinion occur?

It occurred today when I discovered that the problem was operator error!  ;)

Yep!  I had misread or misunderstood instructions on the internet re the adjustment.  I had screwed the adjustment all the way in and then backed out the maximum number of turns available per the instructions.  But those instructions were wrong.  I understood them to say that if I went further than two full turns, the adjusting hex-head screws could actually come out of the shock.  But I contacted Hagon and they said that was incorrect and suggested I back them out two more turns.  I did that I went out for a ride.  TOTALLY different!  No more spine-jarring and quite a good ride.

So, again, my Apologies to Hagon and I now am happy to recommend the Hagon Nitros for a V7...just follow the CORRECT instructions!!!  ;)
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special (UK)
1976 Honda CB400F (UK)
2017 BMW R1200RS (TX)
'73 Norton Commando (Mexico
2015 BMW R9T (Mexico)
(Wife's bikes:
2015 Ducati Diavel (TX)
2019 Honda Africa Twin  (Mexico)
2021 Honda NC750  (UK)

Offline michaell32

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 166
  • Location: Salt Lake City
Re: recommendations : shocks
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2026, 06:46:14 PM »
I put Ikons on my EV.  They are a little on the stiff side but I have also lost 25 pounds since buying them.  I believe I put Hyperpro in the front forks.
2003 California EV
2018 Suzuki DR650
78 Honda GL1000


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here